Ernie

Default Removing Spark Plugs????

Posted the following beginning of November and received no response or there
might have been and I missed it or did not receive it. Please enlighten me.
Thanks

Attempted to remove spark plugs on a 2003 90HP 4 stroke engine and what a
pain. Removing the four bolts that anchors the plug cover is no trouble.
Removing the cover is the problem. Has anyone successfully accomplished
this? Thanks for the help.

--
Ernie

Everyone dies, but not everyone lives.
A. Sachs

Brian Miller

Hi Ernie,
You did not mention the make of your outboard, but I will take a stab at it.
I have a Mercury 115hp four-stroke, so they may be similar. Besides the
bolts for the plug cover that are easily visible, there is another on the
lower left, somewhat hidden behind a fuel line from the fuel pump; it is a
hassle to get out, and worse to put back in without dropping it down under
the motor. Once you get that bolt out it still takes some wiggling and a
little forcing to get the cover out, but it will come out. Once I am able
to get that bolt of mine out from under the motor, I doubt that I will
bother putting it back in place.
-Brian

"Ernie" wrote in message
.. .
Posted the following beginning of November and received no response or

there
might have been and I missed it or did not receive it. Please enlighten

me.
Thanks

Attempted to remove spark plugs on a 2003 90HP 4 stroke engine and what a
pain. Removing the four bolts that anchors the plug cover is no trouble.
Removing the cover is the problem. Has anyone successfully accomplished
this? Thanks for the help.

--
Ernie

Everyone dies, but not everyone lives.
A. Sachs

Greg

All this to change the spark plugs? Crap! I'd hate to be out at sea and
have some need to change them!

On a 4 stroke, with unleaded gas, I am not sure why you would have to change
them. My plugs were replaced at 400 hours and they looked virtually new.
Plugs in cars these days will go 100,000 miles.
Joe Blizzard

"Greg" wrote
Plugs in cars these days will go 100,000 miles.

Those things come out?

Ernie

Many thanks to Brian, dp, Greg and Joe Blizzard. The spark plugs will
remain in place unless there is a definite need. But, then again without
being redundant, I wonder why they recommend removing the plugs and squirt
oil before storing for the winter. Your thoughts on this gentlemen.

"Joe Blizzard" wrote in message
"Greg" wrote
Plugs in cars these days will go 100,000 miles.

Those things come out?

dp

Ah-ha. 4 stroke. I'm used to these older 2 stroke jobbies that seem to
foul plugs all the time. Honeslty I've never changed one while at sea, I
hope I don't ever have to. Just seems like it's one of those "extras" like
a spare prop or something you might like to have with you. That, or your
sea-tow membership.

-B

K Smith

Ernie wrote:
Many thanks to Brian, dp, Greg and Joe Blizzard. The spark plugs will
remain in place unless there is a definite need. But, then again without
being redundant, I wonder why they recommend removing the plugs and squirt
oil before storing for the winter. Your thoughts on this gentlemen.

Certainly you'll need to get them out to put oil in the bores so as to
stop rust over winter.

Make sure you turn it over a few times by hand with the oil in & the
plugs out, also next season give it a quick turnover, again with the
plugs out, to make sure you won't create an hydraulic lock when starting
for the first time.

When you put them back in each time (just finger tight for winter) make
sure you use a dab of neverseize or similar, also any other bolts,
you'll regularly need to remove. It makes the job easier & stops
corrosion within the threads.

"Joe Blizzard" wrote in message

"Greg" wrote

Plugs in cars these days will go 100,000 miles.

Those things come out?

Greg

I wonder why they recommend removing the plugs and squirt
oil before storing for the winter.

Ah I keep forgetting you guys have winter. Do you do the same for your garden
equipment?
I don't suppose cranking it over with fogging oil would do the trick? (safety
lanyard out so it won't try to start)

Merc Spark Plugs Removal Ernie General 0 November 6th 03 02:12 PM
Changing Spark Plugs Mercury 4 Stroke Engine Ernie General 0 October 7th 03 04:01 AM
Spark Plug on Mercury question John Addington General 3 October 4th 03 02:16 AM
Optimax Spark Plug changes Ken Tanaka General 1 August 28th 03 04:07 AM
Loose spark plugs? Me General 0 August 17th 03 10:16 PM