Frank Taylor, Jr.

Default Platinum plugs

My marine mechanic recently told me not to use platinum plugs in my boat
(Volvo Penta 5.7 raw water cooled). He says that they run too cool and tend
to get fouled as a result.

What is everyone's opinion on this? Has anyone experienced problems with
platinum plugs??

Tony Thomas

I have never heard that one before. I personally would not use anything but
them. If you install them, you will probably never have to change them
again. Probably why the mechanic does not like them because he never gets
to do the job again.

Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Frank Taylor, Jr." wrote in message
My marine mechanic recently told me not to use platinum plugs in my boat
(Volvo Penta 5.7 raw water cooled). He says that they run too cool and

tend
to get fouled as a result.

What is everyone's opinion on this? Has anyone experienced problems with
platinum plugs??

Harry Krause

Gene Kearns wrote:

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 17:05:34 -0400, "Frank Taylor, Jr."
wrote:

My marine mechanic recently told me not to use platinum plugs in my boat
(Volvo Penta 5.7 raw water cooled). He says that they run too cool and tend
to get fouled as a result.

What is everyone's opinion on this? Has anyone experienced problems with
platinum plugs??

The heat range of the plug determines how "cool" a plug runs. Find a
mechanic that has had an enema....

A classic answer...thanks. I used plat plugs on my Optimax because the
book said to do so. I have no idea why. I swapped them out once and used
non-plat plugs and the engine ran just the same.

My new Yamaha uses "regular" plugs, about $4.50 a pop at auto stores.
This past week, I lifted off the hood to check the oil (which was fine),
and was horrified at what I saw inside. A veritable plumber's and
electrician's nightmare, looks just like a modern car engine. Nothing
much I would dare touch.
-
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Harry Krause

Gene Kearns wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Precisely why the first thing I bought, after committing to my new
Suzukis, was a factory service/overhaul manual.....

Actually, they look scarier than they really are....

Yeah, I bought the Yamaha manual. It's a pretty decent manual, and it
convinced me that I should let the dealer's mechanics do most of the
heavy lifting.

I sent my Opti manual off to a poster here, with the hope it would
interest him enough to get his hands on at least one late 20th century
outboard. No evidence of that yet.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.