goldspoon

Default Starting Engine

Have a Yamaha 150 VMax. Before leaving home with the engine not in
water, I like to turn the key until the engine starts and then quickly
turn it off, just to be sure that it is ready to go. Will this damage
my motor?

Capt John

You'll be looking at a bill for a new water pump soon, if you keep it
up. Or the pump could go on you while your on the water, and you could
blow the power head. Either way, the dealer will know what you were
doing, from the melted rubber in the pump housing. Forget about that
warranty at that point, all bets will be off. Start saving now.

John

Yes, water gets pumped into the engine via a rubber impeller.
Rubber doesnt do well in dry conditions and will eventually break.

If you have been doing this all along, I do hope you have
recently changed the water pump anyhow. If you just changed
it, stop starting the engine dry NOW. If you havent changed it
in awhile, do it now while its the start of the season. Sucks
killing a perfectly good day on the water because of a bad
water pump impeller. Be careful, you can kill the engine without
it being cooled.

Harry.Krause

On 25 May 2005 19:16:11 -0700, "goldspoon" wrote:

Have a Yamaha 150 VMax. Before leaving home with the engine not in
water, I like to turn the key until the engine starts and then quickly
turn it off, just to be sure that it is ready to go. Will this damage
my motor?

I do this all the time, it will be fine. It takes a few seconds for
the water to get to the impeller anyway.

Me and the wife
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/harkra...bum?.dir=/1323

power vs sail O:P\) Cruising 36 March 18th 04 02:27 AM
Engine News from Genmar Gould 0738 General 8 October 27th 03 04:47 PM
Screeching sound after starting engine John A General 9 October 24th 03 04:08 AM
Volvo Penta (EFI) engine starting problem Larry Buss General 0 July 19th 03 06:19 AM