Ed Stasiak

Default Identify Ship On TV Show?

I was wondering if any of y'all could identify the style and
era of a wooden sailing ship shown on the TV show "Lost"?;

http://lost-media.com/modules.php?na...lbum=469&pos=1

http://tinyurl.com/837qs

http://lost-media.com/modules.php?na...lbum=469&pos=2

http://tinyurl.com/8hr8c

In particular, we'd like to know when a ship of this type
was being built and approximately how long these types of
ships were in use.

Also, what are the odds that a ship like this would survive
in the condition shown up until 2004 on a tropical island,
factoring in that it's possible that people may have been
using the ship as a home and maintaining it for X number
of years?

By the way, are there any historical references to a ship
named "Black Rock", possibly out of Portsmouth England?

DSK

Ed Stasiak wrote:
I was wondering if any of y'all could identify the style and
era of a wooden sailing ship shown on the TV show "Lost"?;

http://lost-media.com/modules.php?na...lbum=469&pos=1

http://tinyurl.com/837qs

http://lost-media.com/modules.php?na...lbum=469&pos=2

http://tinyurl.com/8hr8c

In particular, we'd like to know when a ship of this type
was being built and approximately how long these types of
ships were in use.

It's pretty generic... looks almost like something built as a stage set
for a pirate movie

The picture doesn't show enough of the hull & rigging to really say what
type of ship. Looks square rigged on one mast, transom stern, four
straps/gugdeons on the rudder (which would be appropriate for a much
bigger vessel)... if it were a real ship, I couldn't guess any closer
than ~1800 up to ~1920. The things that date a ship more accurately are
things like rig & steering details which of course aren't shown.

Also, what are the odds that a ship like this would survive
in the condition shown up until 2004 on a tropical island,
factoring in that it's possible that people may have been
using the ship as a home and maintaining it for X number
of years?

How about factoring in that it would have taken some type of pretty
extreme event (tidal wave? hurricane?) to put the ship up into the
jungle in the first place, likely resulting in serious damage.

A ship on dry land would not be a very good dwelling... very
inconvenient, and it's more likely to trap water and keep it in than to
keep it off. Also to maintain it as a dwelling (such as keeping the deck
(now become a roof) reasonably water tight) would be likely to take
tools & materials not easily available in a jungle.

By the way, are there any historical references to a ship
named "Black Rock", possibly out of Portsmouth England?

Oh sure, "Black Rock" was a famous clipper ship that mysteriously
disappeared... sorry, just kidding...

DSK

trainfan1

Ed Stasiak wrote:
I was wondering if any of y'all could identify the style and
era of a wooden sailing ship shown on the TV show "Lost"?;

http://lost-media.com/modules.php?na...lbum=469&pos=1

http://tinyurl.com/837qs

http://lost-media.com/modules.php?na...lbum=469&pos=2

http://tinyurl.com/8hr8c

In particular, we'd like to know when a ship of this type
was being built and approximately how long these types of
ships were in use.

Also, what are the odds that a ship like this would survive
in the condition shown up until 2004 on a tropical island,
factoring in that it's possible that people may have been
using the ship as a home and maintaining it for X number
of years?

By the way, are there any historical references to a ship
named "Black Rock", possibly out of Portsmouth England?

http://www.madbbs.com/users/iflyhigh747/Pict2490.jpg

http://www.madbbs.com/users/iflyhigh747/SLN3.JPG

http://www.madbbs.com/users/iflyhigh...09beforeul.jpg

http://www.madbbs.com/users/iflyhigh...0_1169bbul.jpg

Similarites? This is the Sea Lion from Chautauqua Lake.

Rob
PBM

That SEA LION evokes a much earlier era than BLACK ROCK. The extremely
high sterncastle is more like a galleon, say, 16th century. BLACK ROCK
is a relatively modern ship. My wife and I initially thought the
deadly and mysterious "others" must be the descendants of stranded
pirates.

WRT the show itself, I imagine that the BLACK ROCK's cargo will be
revealed to be at least partly composed of exotic animals. I can't
wait to find out how polar bears managed to reproduce on that tropical
island for over a century.

BTW, the "monster" on the island is an ELEPHANT! The ship must have
been well traveled to pick up both polar bears and elephants.

trainfan1 wrote:
Ed Stasiak wrote:
[...]

BJ Simpson

BTW, the "monster" on the island is an ELEPHANT! The ship must have
been well traveled to pick up both polar bears and elephants.

I thought that the monster might be an elephant too. Strange. Can't
explain it logically in any other way. Elephants as a security system?

--
BJ Simpson

It [baseball] will take our people out-of-doors, fill them with oxygen, give
them a larger physical stoicism. Tend to relieve us from being a nervous,
dyspeptic set. Repair these losses, and be a blessing to us. - Walt Whitman
ups.com...

trainfan1 wrote:
Ed Stasiak wrote:
[...]

Steven L.

PBM wrote:

That SEA LION evokes a much earlier era than BLACK ROCK. The extremely
high sterncastle is more like a galleon, say, 16th century. BLACK ROCK
is a relatively modern ship. My wife and I initially thought the
deadly and mysterious "others" must be the descendants of stranded
pirates.

WRT the show itself, I imagine that the BLACK ROCK's cargo will be
revealed to be at least partly composed of exotic animals. I can't
wait to find out how polar bears managed to reproduce on that tropical
island for over a century.

BTW, the "monster" on the island is an ELEPHANT!

No it isn't.

In the premiere episode, the pilot was yanked *upwards* out of the
cockpit of the plane, as if something grabbed him from above. And there
was certainly no elephant's trunk seen. The pilot's body was then
impaled atop a tree. We saw Locke face the "monster" and look upwards
at it, at an angle that indicated it must be some 20 feet high at least.
Which is consistent with the way it's able to shake whole trees. And
the footfalls of elephants aren't loud enough to be heard from hundreds
of feet away. Elephants don't do all that.

Elephants don't make the type of sounds we're hearing. The sounds we're
hearing are definitely mechanical.

--
Steven D. Litvintchouk
Email:

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Fri, 20 May 2005 23:12:32 GMT, "Steven L."
wrote:

PBM wrote:

[...]

Sounds like this guy has never seen or heard an African bull elephant.

Later,

Tom
Ryan Robbins

"Steven L." wrote in message
.net...
The pilot's body was then impaled atop a tree.

No it wasn't.

Maureen Goldman

"Steven L." wrote:

No it isn't.

In the premiere episode, the pilot was yanked *upwards* out of the
cockpit of the plane, as if something grabbed him from above. And there
was certainly no elephant's trunk seen. The pilot's body was then
impaled atop a tree. We saw Locke face the "monster" and look upwards
at it, at an angle that indicated it must be some 20 feet high at least.

I also don't think that Locke would describe an elephant as beautiful.
One comment: The pilot's body was lying across some high branches, not
impaled on the tree.

Steven L.

"Steven L." wrote:

No it isn't.

In the premiere episode, the pilot was yanked *upwards* out of the
cockpit of the plane, as if something grabbed him from above. And there
was certainly no elephant's trunk seen. The pilot's body was then
impaled atop a tree. We saw Locke face the "monster" and look upwards
at it, at an angle that indicated it must be some 20 feet high at least.

I also don't think that Locke would describe an elephant as beautiful.

Locke wouldn't describe a Security System as beautiful either.

However: Locke told the others "I have looked into the Eye Of The
Island--and what I saw was beautiful." He didn't say "looked at it," he
said "looked into it." When we "look into" something, we often mean
that we study it or investigate it.

So I think Locke checked over the Security System and from its workings
he learned something about TPTB on the island. Maybe TPTB even
communicated with him for the first time, thru some TV/intercom hookup.
And what he learned about TPTB was beautiful. He probably learned
what TPTB have planned for the castaways and for himself.