edolo

Default Merc 73 Inline 6 - shifter problem & gas leak

Q1: Remote Shifter
Tried to open up but only went to just past 2000 with shifter.
Thought I had a spun prop, but in neutral, using throttle got full
revs.
Checked linkage, & was not getting distance with shifter. Back home
took remote apart, checked for wear & breakage - cam looked okay & did
not see anything abnormal. Put together & worked okay.
Anything I can do or replace?

Q2: Gas Leak
Same trip (first of year) suddenly noticed gas film on water around
motor. Back on land, motor runs okay, & can't see any leak.
How can I check if it is carbs or intake that are leaking gas -
without first replacing?
tks, alp
tony thomas

If the carbs are leaking gas - you would be able to see gas around them and
below them in the cowl pan.
Chances are it is either from setting all winter will go away on next use.
If not - carbs are rich and flooding engine.
Your saying the linkage works fine now? If so - problem fixed. If not -
check to make sure you don't have a broken cable. Disconnect cable at motor
and verify it extends/retracts full amount. Verify you can manually move
the linkage to full throttle w/ the cable disconnected.

--
Tony
my boats and cars at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

-
"edolo" wrote in message
Q1: Remote Shifter
Tried to open up but only went to just past 2000 with shifter.
Thought I had a spun prop, but in neutral, using throttle got full
revs.
Checked linkage, & was not getting distance with shifter. Back home
took remote apart, checked for wear & breakage - cam looked okay & did
not see anything abnormal. Put together & worked okay.
Anything I can do or replace?

Q2: Gas Leak
Same trip (first of year) suddenly noticed gas film on water around
motor. Back on land, motor runs okay, & can't see any leak.
How can I check if it is carbs or intake that are leaking gas -
without first replacing?
tks, alp

edolo

Tks for the response!
Engine runs fine, so if carbs are rich shouldn't that show up in idle
or rev? Carbs were redone a few years ago, but don't know if gas line
connection was replaced.
Am I correct in assuming that if it was gas line connector would
notice in the pumping?
Measured linkage movement with caliper - before & after taking apart.
Having not worked on this problem before, & wonder if cam is worn &
may slip again.

On Wed, 18 May 2005 20:39:58 GMT, "tony thomas"
wrote:

If the carbs are leaking gas - you would be able to see gas around them and
below them in the cowl pan.
Chances are it is either from setting all winter will go away on next use.
If not - carbs are rich and flooding engine.
Your saying the linkage works fine now? If so - problem fixed. If not -
check to make sure you don't have a broken cable. Disconnect cable at motor
and verify it extends/retracts full amount. Verify you can manually move
the linkage to full throttle w/ the cable disconnected.

edolo

First trip of the season!
tks, alp

On Thu, 19 May 2005 09:17:14 GMT, "Clams Canino"
wrote:

Do a complete tune and "link n sync" as per the manual.

Is this setup new to you.......... or a recent failure??

-W

"edolo" wrote in message
.. .
Q1: Remote Shifter
Tried to open up but only went to just past 2000 with shifter.
Thought I had a spun prop, but in neutral, using throttle got full
revs.
Checked linkage, & was not getting distance with shifter. Back home
took remote apart, checked for wear & breakage - cam looked okay & did
not see anything abnormal. Put together & worked okay.
Anything I can do or replace?

Q2: Gas Leak
Same trip (first of year) suddenly noticed gas film on water around
motor. Back on land, motor runs okay, & can't see any leak.
How can I check if it is carbs or intake that are leaking gas -
without first replacing?
tks, alp

Harry.Krause

On Wed, 18 May 2005 18:36:56 GMT, edolo wrote:

Q1: Remote Shifter
Tried to open up but only went to just past 2000 with shifter.
Thought I had a spun prop, but in neutral, using throttle got full
revs.
Checked linkage, & was not getting distance with shifter. Back home
took remote apart, checked for wear & breakage - cam looked okay & did
not see anything abnormal. Put together & worked okay.
Anything I can do or replace?

Get rid of the outboard, and convert the boat to an inboard.

Q2: Gas Leak
Same trip (first of year) suddenly noticed gas film on water around
motor. Back on land, motor runs okay, & can't see any leak.
How can I check if it is carbs or intake that are leaking gas -
without first replacing?
tks, alp

If its not leaking badly, dont worry about it. I just let the
bilge-pump do its work.

Me and the wife
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/harkra...bum?.dir=/1323