jc

Default Can I replace the Volvo engine on my AQ130

I have a small tri hull walk through with a Volvo Penta in and out. I would
like to get rid of the Volvo engine and put in something a little more
economical to work on like a small Toyota, Honda, or even a GM 4cyl. Does
anyone one make an engine adapter kit for this? Or has anyone done it from
scratch?

JamesgangNC

I saw you got no responses so I thought I'd give you some ideas even though
I'm mostly familiar with mercs. So take it for what it's worth. Volvos
also come with a number of the gm blocks. One thing about gm's is that the
rear bolt pattern is very common across a lot of their engines. On merc's
bell housing they have a number of different patterns built into the same
bell housing, volvo may do the same. It's a cost saving design. Worst case
I'd guess that you could even modify one, get a car conversion adapter plate
or even make an adapter plate. The coupler probably bolts to a regular
automatic flywheel so you should not have much trouble there. The other
issue is mounts for the motor. Worst case there you will have to build up
new mount pads somewhere. Usually they are just encapsulated wood bonded to
nearby stringers or bulkheads. All in all I would much rather do a custom
engine install in a boat than a car and that's from a guy that once put a
429 in a 67 mustang so I've done some strange stuff before. I will say
don't dismiss the odds and ends $ factor. These sort of projects usually
result in a lot of little bits from the hardware store.

"jc" wrote in message
I have a small tri hull walk through with a Volvo Penta in and out. I
would
like to get rid of the Volvo engine and put in something a little more
economical to work on like a small Toyota, Honda, or even a GM 4cyl. Does
anyone one make an engine adapter kit for this? Or has anyone done it
from
scratch?

Harry.Krause

On Tue, 17 May 2005 04:53:08 GMT, "jc" wrote:

I have a small tri hull walk through with a Volvo Penta in and out. I would
like to get rid of the Volvo engine and put in something a little more
economical to work on like a small Toyota, Honda, or even a GM 4cyl. Does
anyone one make an engine adapter kit for this? Or has anyone done it from
scratch?

I put a Briggs and Stratton in a conoe as a child.

I now have a long driveway.

Me and the wife
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/harkra...bum?.dir=/1323

replace head on a mercruiser 350 engine Han General 5 June 18th 04 02:59 AM
Volvo 4.3 Engine Rebuild Patrick Johnson General 3 April 28th 04 12:50 AM
power vs sail O:P\) Cruising 36 March 18th 04 02:27 AM
Engine News from Genmar Gould 0738 General 8 October 27th 03 04:47 PM