Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Shortwave Sportfishing

Default Hey Chuck - some digital camera observations

Ok, just because Kanter complained last time, this post is boating
related because the picture below was taken today with the new digital
slr.

http://www.swsports.org/images/fishing.JPG

And just for Kanter's amusement :)

http://www.swsports.org/images/fordougsyesonly.JPG

Now, on to the show.

If you are planning on obtaining a digital SLR, get prepared for a
really steep learning curve, in particular if you have any kind of
developing experience.

These slr's are basically a miniature photo lab in a 35mm sized box.
they also don't behave in the same way as a standard 35mm slr. You
don't necessarily get what you see unless you are really clued into
what makes a decent photo and what doesn't. You have to be really
familiar with color temps, white balance, DOF, etc.

The following is a unretouched photo taken with the small telephoto
(45-150mm). The ISO was set at 200 with 1/100 shutter speed @ F3.5.
640X480 frame @ 1:2.7 compression rate.

http://www.swsports.org/images/hillside.JPG

It's a little out of focus, but that's because that hill was about a
1/2 mile from where I was standing and my hands were shaking.

This is another unretouched photo taken of that same hill from
alongside the pond.

http://www.swsports.org/images/reflection.JPG

A little closer with the long lens.

http://www.swsports.org/images/reflection2.JPG

Just for yucks.

http://www.swsports.org/images/trellistree2.jpg

It's going to be a while before I get any pictures worth bragging
rights - I really need to change gears and take a lot of frames.

Speaking of which, I've put about 300 images, from 1:1 resolution at
3200X2800 to the above mentioned size also using the motor drive at
the rowing race this afternoon and the battery lasted and did it's job
just fine. I would suggest getting a second battery though - when
it's dead, it's dead - no warning.

So, if you need any more information, I'll be glad to send it along as
I discover more interesting things.

I'll tell you this flat out - it's one hell of a camera. I wish I was
one hell of a photographer to make use of it.

Later,

Tom

Image Stabilized Digital Camera on a boat junktin Cruising 23 March 13th 05 02:55 AM
Ladies and Gents.... Overproof ASA 18 December 16th 04 01:38 AM
Near Deaths on the Lower Gauley Celia Oblinger General 47 August 20th 04 11:56 PM
FS:Good Kayaking Camera Me Touring 0 February 7th 04 10:39 PM