Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default On topic- observations aboard the 39 Silverton

Silverton 39 Motoryacht, Northwest Edition

We have to admit it wasn't "love at first sight" when we were
introduced to the 2005 Silverton 39 at Blackfish Marine in Seattle.
Some people and some boats present a less flattering profile when
viewed from the stern. The stern quarter view of the Silverton 39 will
prove to be, (shall we politely say) "surprising" when first
encountered from an adjacent float. The stern quarter view seems almost
too tall, too flat, and very unusually sculpted. We almost formed an
opinion of the Silverton 39 styling based on that first, partial,
split-second impression. That would have been a mistake.

Just as a tuba solo may not be ones' favorite musical entertainment,
including the same tuba in an orchestra can make it an integral part of
an inspiring symphony. When the overall style of the Silverton 39 is
considered, some very unusual and distinctive sections combine to
create an extremely attractive, contemporary design. Even so, form
follows function (as it should) on the Silverton 39. The boat functions
so well that one could easily forgive some styling exceptions, but no
forgiveness is required in the case of the Silverton 39. When
contemplating the entire design it becomes apparent that the Silverton
architects conceived a boat that will be enjoyable to cruise and
features distinctive lines that will draw admiring glances from almost
everyone.

Once we had spent the few moments necessary to understand and
appreciate the complete shape and profile, it didn't seem surprising
when our hosts, (Patrick Kelley and Bob Schwab of Blackfish Marine),
remarked, "This boat is one of our best sellers."

The Silverton 39 Motoryacht design is defined by its aft cabin
configuration, the standard hardtop cover for the aft deck, and the
"sidewalks" from the flybridge to the foredeck. There are no
sidedecks from the covered aft deck to the foredeck, (all traffic fore
and aft passes through the flybridge), allowing an unusually beamy
interior in the main cabin. Below the sheer line, the offshore,
bluewater orientation of Silverton's parent corporation, (Luhrs), is
evident in the flared bow and the 13-degree transom deadrise of the
deep-V hull. The superstructure of the Silverton 39 may be up-to-the
minute contemporary, but the basic principles of a sound, seakindly
hull have been honored and preserved.

Vital Statistics:

LOA: 43'7".
Beam: 14' 0"
Draft: 3' 11"
Weight: 25,000 lb.
Bridge Clearance: 16'9"
Headroom: 6'9"
Tankage fuel: 328 gal.
Tankage water: 100

On deck

The "sidewalk" design of the Silverton 39 provides a well
protected, sure-footed route down some molded steps and a grippy,
non-skid deck forward from the flybridge. When coming into port,
deckhands are often sitting with the skipper on the bridge until
dispatched either forward or aft, so the lack of a traditional side
deck is of little consequence when docking or getting underway.

The sidewalk design does discourage boarding from anywhere except the
wide, integral swim platform and Silverton has incorporated a
user-friendly set of wide, molded steps with sturdy stainless handrails
on the port side of the platform. Additional boarding points are at the
aft corners of the aft deck, with the landing at the top of the molded
steps and a corresponding platform to starboard, and either can be
easily used with a portable boarding ladder. The boarding ladder option
may be more appealing to boaters planning to carry a dinghy on the
swimstep. Bob Schwab remarked on the starboard corner of the aft deck,
"This area has proven to be a very popular location for barbecues on
the Silverton 39. It's out from under the hard top, has a good rail
for mounting the unit, and is only a step away from the aft deck social
area. When we get all of our Blackfish customers together for one of
our frequent rendezvous, we raft all the 39 Silvertons together. It's
very easy to step from aft deck to aft deck using the starboard corner
of the aft deck on one boat and the landing at the top of the swim
platform steps on the port side of the boat adjacent. We can go from
aft deck to aft deck to see who's got the best food."

The aft deck is larger than one expects to find on a 39-foot boat. One
means by which the extra space is provided is the innovative design of
the transom seat on the aft deck. The seatback extends over the swim
platform, providing usable deck space normally consumed by an intruding
settee. As Bob Schwab observed, "This seating allows the owner to set
up a table on the aft deck, without crowding the access between the
main cabin and the flybridge." A wet bar, with a sink, a stowage
locker, and an icemaker is located in the starboard forequarter of the
aft deck.

The Northwest Edition includes a spade anchor and 300-feet of all chain
rode hauled by a windlass on the foredeck. Blackfish Marine was
instrumental in developing the Northwest Edition packages for
Silverton, and since Patrick and his crew are active boaters the added
features are practical and especially applicable to our Pacific NW
cruising conditions.

Patrick Kelley refers to the flybridge on the Silverton 39 as a
"raised pilothouse". The Northwest Edition equipment group
includes some features that validate Patrick's description. The
center helm is protected by a Sunbrella (tm) bimini top and full
side-curtain enclosures featuring 40 mil Strataglass (tm) inserts. In
pleasant weather, stowing the side curtains in lockers under the
flybridge seats and pulling two cotter pins will allow the bimini top
to fold back against the radar arch to provide a glorious, open air
boating experience. Silverton addressed the two primary objections to
running from an upper helm during inclement weather in the Pacific NW.
A Webasto forced air diesel heater, specifically dedicated to the
bridge will make the area shirtsleeve comfortable in the dead of
winter. A tempered glass insert with a washer and wiper in the forward
panel of the canvas enclosure will preserve visibility during a NW
rainstorm, ably assisted by the "defrost" capability of the
Webasto.

The flybridge will easily seat six, with three adjustable bolster pilot
seats at the helm, a double settee in the aft port quarter, and a
single seat to starboard. The Northwest Edition includes a complete
electronics package, with major features including a 48-mile radar with
10" display, and a color chartplotter/GPS with a separate 10"
display. Most of the electronics were not installed on our test boat,
because as Bob Schwab explained, "We've learned that we don't
want to install the electronics until the boat is actually sold. People
can have extremely different opinions about models and brands when it
comes to navigation systems, and some will want something different
than we include in the package. It makes more sense to install one set
of electronics for the final purchaser than it does to install a set
for display and then try to deal with removing the gear the final
purchaser doesn't want and struggling to refit everything around the
items the purchaser specifies instead."

The Engine Room

The Northwest Edition group includes a pair of optional 385 HP
Caterpillar diesels, (3126 TA's with AirSeps). Access to the machinery
space is through a hatch in the salon.
The Silverton engine mounting system is particularly worthy of note, as
each engine is secured to a pair of steel I-beams suspended between two
dedicated half- bulkheads. The super-stout concept provides a secure
engine bed that does not directly vibrate the stringers or main
bulkheads and results in a quieter, more stable ride. Dripless seals
for the stainless prop shafts will help insure a dry engine
environment.

A Kohler 8 kW generator is included in the Northwest Edition, and
mounted where routine servicing can be easily accomplished. Cooking and
climate control functions on the Silverton 39 rely on AC power, with
the exception of the diesel furnace for the bridge. (A 50-amp
shorepower cable is hauled by a Glendinning Cable Master though a
dedicated port of the port side of the transom, and a 30-amp power
cable stows under the
Starboard extension of the aft deck.) A 5-port oil-change system is
part of the package as well.

The engine room has effective acoustic insulation and is well supplied
with both DC and AC light fixtures. The materials and workmanship in
the engine room additionally validate Silverton's move from the
"value" trademark status of the past to a position where boaters
with some very high standards should investigate a Silverton before
arriving at a final make and model decision.

Interior Layout and Design

The first impression after descending the steps from the aft deck to
the salon will commonly be "Wow!" The full-beam design of the
salon, furnished with Flexsteel Ultraleather (tm) settees, rich cherry
joinery, and a dense, high quality, short pile carpet with color
coordinated protective runners creates an expansive and extremely
impressive cabin interior. Bob Schwab reports that for many buyers of
the Silverton 39 the decision is made as soon as they enter this cabin
area. "I keep an eye on people when they enter here, and they always
have a reaction. There are over 400 man-hours spent crafting and
installing the cherry woodwork on a Silverton 39, and it shows. People
like all the windows and the visibility, as well as the fact they can
see out of the boat when sitting down."

The Silverton 39 salon includes a nifty cherry coffee table with
removable tops that flip over to create an upholstered ottoman. The
starboard settee pulls out to create an additional bunk. "I've
slept on one of those pull-out bunks," said Bob, "and I was very
surprised to find it completely comfortable." The Northwest Edition
includes a TV/DVD and Bose 321 sound system in the main cabin A solid
cherry, hi-lo table is situated in front of the port settee at the
forward quarter of the salon, where it will be easily served from the
galley.

The galley is to starboard, and is "down" only a single step from
the salon. Boaters who prioritize a spacious, well-equipped galley
would be well advised to consider the Silverton 39 Motoryacht- as the
galley is certainly among the largest to be found on any boat in this
category. There are 50 and 60-footers available with no more galley
stowage and workspace than the Silverton 39. The joinery is
well-crafted and finished cherry solids and veneers, and the
countertops are genuine Corian (tm). Major appliances include a
3-burner electric cooktop, a standard electric oven, a
microwave/convection oven, and a dual-voltage "full size"
refrigerator freezer. Silverton's designers integrated the galley
into the plan so that the space is just barely separated from the
salon. There is plenty of room for the cook to work, and socialize as
well.

Most forward is the guest stateroom, with a large berth set offset at
an angle from the port gunwale and the forward bulkhead. Guests will
sleep comfortably on a custom innerspring mattress. Two hanging
lockers and a private entrance to the guest head, (immediately aft and
to port) make the guest stateroom more of a "second master" than
second class.

The guest head is efficiently configured but nicely equipped with a
VacuFlush marine toilet, enclosed stall shower, Corian (tm) countertop,
and designer faucet.

A pleasant master stateroom occupies the aft cabin. A queen-size
Innerspring bunk is set athwartship from the starboard gunwale, with a
hanging locker to either side. There are drawers and lockers
everywhere. The ensuite master head is divided into two adjoining
compartments, with the VacuFlush and the hand basin in the port
forequarter of the cabin and the shower compartment aft. The
arrangement provides a larger shower than might otherwise be available,
and allows the shower to be used simultaneously with the VacuFlush or
the hand basin while affording everyone complete privacy.

Observations Underway

A brisk northerly was blowing down Lake Union as we fired up the Cat
diesels and got underway. Our test boat was not equipped with a bow
thruster, but responded quickly and accurately to throttle commands and
so was easily maneuvered. After departing the dock, we had to bring the
Silverton 39 broadside into the wind in the fairway to make a
180-degree turn. The deep-vee hull and Patrick Kelley's seamanship
kept us from skittering off sideways as one might expect to do on a
flatter-bottomed boat with the windage of the Silverton 39.

The Northwest Edition includes Glendinning electronic controls, with
automatic synchronizer and a trolling setting. The troll function only
works in conjunction with trolling valves, which are available but were
not installed on our test boat.

On a chilly spring morning, we ran the Webasto diesel heater for no
more than 10 or 15 minutes before the bridge was warm enough that
everyone was removing coats and jackets.

The effective engine room insulation, as well as our distance from the
engines, reduced engine noise at slower speeds to a barely discernable
background level. As we motored through Portage Bay and the Montlake
Cut, Bob and Patrick mentioned plans for one of their Blackfish Marine
customer cruises the following weekend. Blackfish customers are invited
to several rendezvous events each year, and a growing group of regulars
attend almost all of them. There was some talk about "chocolate
martinis", and other intriguing subjects. Obviously, Blackfish is
among the successful and progressive dealers recognizing that customers
may purchase a boat, but are really hoping to buy the "boating
experience".

When we cleared the restricted speed zone and entered Lake Washington,
the Silverton 39 stepped up to plane very quickly. There was no real
sensation of a "lag" between moving the throttle lever forward and
a corresponding increase in boat speed. As the electronics were not yet
installed, we measured our speeds with a handheld Garmin GPS.

We discovered that a comfortable cruise speed for the Silverton 39 is
in the 19-20 kt range. We made 20 kt, upwind, at 2500 rpm. The 3126 TA
Caterpillars top out at 2800 RPM, (where we made 26 kt), so 2500 might
be considered a "hot" cruise and backing down to 2400 still
provided a brisk, 19kt cruise.

Plowing through some large wakes allowed us to appreciate the deep-vee
design of the hull. The Silverton 39 confidently plows through, (rather
than slams and bounces over), sea conditions that will often be found
on a NW cruise. The impact was like a hammer hitting a nail, with the
Silverton rather obviously playing the part of the hammer. The flared
bow deflected spray and kept the foredeck and bridge enclosure very dry
as we took the crests at full cruise speed. As the Silverton 39 circled
at cruise speed, we noticed very little bleed off in the turns. We
would criticize the steering as slightly on the stiff side- certainly
not unmanageable but definitely very solid. (A wheel of slightly larger
diameter could perhaps be retrofit to increase leverage.)

Conclusions:

Silverton's 39 Motoryacht should prove to be a fine family cruiser.
The Northwest Edition addresses many regional issues and allows this
boat, with Atlantic seaboard roots, to adapt splendidly to the Pacific
NW. The boat should be considered by almost anyone investigating
motoryachts at or around the 40-foot category, and folks not familiar
with Silverton or who have not examined a Silverton during the last few
years are likely to be very pleasantly surprised. The manufacturer's
suggested retail price of our test boat is $523,001, but Blackfish is
offering a "boat show special" at $424,938. Basic 39 Silvertons,
with smaller diesels and not as well equipped, are offered through
Blackfish at prices as low as $343,000.

For additional information on the Silverton 39 Motoryacht or other
Silverton models, please call Blackfish Marine at