Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Coff

Default Skeg Guard

The bottom 1/2 of the skeg on my Merc I/O has been missing for a few
years now. The marina mechanic approached me today as I was getting
things ready for next week's launch. He questioned that since I tend
to be a little anal regarding the care of my boat, why have I not
gotten the skeg repaired?

I told him that I didn't see $280 worth of value in getting that
little piece welded back on.

Questions for the NG:

1. Is there a performance or handling benefit to having it at 100%?
2. What, exactly, does it do?
3. I think I'm getting hosed at $280 for the repair, so I haven't
reparied it. Am I?
4. Can I just buy one of those Skeg Guards from West Marine for about
$90 & attach it to achieve the same results?

Thanks.

Coff