Grumpy

Default Furuno & Magellan

Hi Guys,

I have a Furuno 6100 and a Magellan 315. I have the cable required got the
two units, but am not sure how to link the two. Any ideas from anyone?

Thanks
Alan

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 18:07:53 +1100, "Grumpy"
wrote:

Hi Guys,

I have a Furuno 6100 and a Magellan 315. I have the cable required got the
two units, but am not sure how to link the two. Any ideas from anyone?

I'm not familiar with the Furuno 6100, but the NMEA input should be an
RCA jack and labeled as such on the back panel. Your manual should
have the connection information.

If not, call Magelleon and ask their tech department. I have a 315 as
a backup GPS and when I upgraded the software, it had a glitch which
was cleared up in nothing flat. While I was on the phone, I asked a
question about the DSC input for an ICOM M-402 because I was thinking
about using the 315 for DSC on my Ranger and the tech had the info
right at hand, ready to go.

Good luck.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653

William G. Andersen

My Garmin uses a cable with a DB9 connector to connect to my PC. I added a
DB9 connector to the bare end of the Furuno cable. I connect the two DB9s so
the Garmin talks to the Furuno instead of my PC.
The only problem I've had is with corrosion of the DB9 I added to the Furuno
cable. I will replace it, and fill it up with even more silicone seal before
I screw the two halves together, and use even more dielectric grease on the
connecor pins.

"Grumpy" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

I have a Furuno 6100 and a Magellan 315. I have the cable required got the
two units, but am not sure how to link the two. Any ideas from anyone?

Thanks
Alan

Meindert Sprang

"Grumpy" wrote in message
No problem with that but the Furuno has TD-A, TD-B, RX-A, RX-B, do I just
use 1 set ie. A or B?

Furuno --- Magellan
TD-A ----- RX
Ground ----- Ground
RX-A ----- TX
RX-B ----- Ground

TD-B is left unconnected.

Meindert

Meindert Sprang

"Grumpy" wrote in message
u...

My friend u are a gentleman, many thanks
Will give it a go a bit later tonight

Do let us know if it did work out ok :-)

Meindert

William G. Andersen

and if it doesn't, call Magellan.
I tried using Furuno's web site info and it didn't work. I went to Garmin
and found exactly what I needed. I think all three companies are very
helpful and take good care of their customers.

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in message
"Grumpy" wrote in message
u...

My friend u are a gentleman, many thanks
Will give it a go a bit later tonight

Do let us know if it did work out ok :-)

Meindert

Meindert Sprang

and if it doesn't, call Magellan.
I tried using Furuno's web site info and it didn't work. I went to Garmin
and found exactly what I needed. I think all three companies are very
helpful and take good care of their customers.

And you can also take a look at www.shipmodul.com/en/connections.html
This page describes all sort of combinations with single-ended (signal vs.
ground) and differential (+/-, A and B) connections. And wherever you read
'multiplexer' you can fill in any NMEA capable device.

Meindert