Greg

Default Dealer service appointments and other lies

What is the average time between when the tell you to bring your boat in and
they actually start working on it?
John Smith

Depends upon the time or year, if you are a regular customer, and the
quality of the service the deliver. During the spring and late fall, they
are busy getting the boats in and out of the water. A quality service
center will be busier all year round, and they will prioritize their regular
customers. I don't think I have ever had to wait more than 2 weeks to get
work done, but I would never bring my boat over in their busy period.

"Greg" wrote in message
What is the average time between when the tell you to bring your boat in

and
they actually start working on it?

Calif Bill

"Greg" wrote in message
What is the average time between when the tell you to bring your boat in

and
they actually start working on it?

since I do not go to the dealer for service, this just my opinion. If I was
a dealer, I would have the boat there at the most a day before I started
working on it. Costs money for storage space, and you want the boats not
there taking up space or being damaged by moving around a lot of boats to
get to the next one for service.

Carl Craver

When a customer makes an appointment at my shop
I work on it the same day they drop it off.

Whenever possible I also order parts in advance
to be ready for the job.

Carl G. Craver

"Greg" wrote in message
What is the average time between when the tell you to bring your boat in

and
they actually start working on it?

Greg

Just an update. My appointment was for Mar 16 at 9AM. Yesterday Mar 23, it was
still sitting, never touched. This is the SECOND dealer I have tried. The other
one took a week, didn't fix the original problem and gave me back an
overheating problem I didn't have before. Mercury sent me to this guy.
I didn't hear from them today either.

Harry Krause

"Greg" wrote in message

What is the average time between when the tell you to bring your boat in

and

they actually start working on it?

It really depends. If I drop off my Parker for service during the
season, I expect it to be ready the following weekend.
Tony Thomas

Most dealers will not make appointments. Strictly first come first serve.
How can you keep to a schedule when someone tells you they will be there at
9:00 to have a starter replaced. They show at 10:00 and not only is it the
starter but the cables have to be replaced, the battery is dead, and the
ignition switch is burnt up. Now you have someone scheduled at 10:30 and
its after 12:00 before you can get to them. And the guy that showed an hour
late is not going to want to pay for an hours labor because he was late.
Just does not work in a dealership with one or possibly two mechanics. Now
in a car dealership with 15 mechanics they can adjust around to cover a few
issues like this.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Greg" wrote in message
Just an update. My appointment was for Mar 16 at 9AM. Yesterday Mar 23, it

was
still sitting, never touched. This is the SECOND dealer I have tried. The

other
one took a week, didn't fix the original problem and gave me back an
overheating problem I didn't have before. Mercury sent me to this guy.
I didn't hear from them today either.

Greg

I still think they should be able to do better than they are. I'm not talking
about missing my appointment by a few HOURS, we are talking almost TWO WEEKS.
They can't have had that many surprises.
(update, still not back from 3/16)
Why don't they give you a slot and post it on their web site (now serving #22,
your slot will be in x days) When you are getting close you haul it in.
This is really true when you are talking about "elective" service like your
hourlies where you could be using your boat until they were ready. As it is I
have a boat that runs but has a dealer inflicted wound I am trying to get
fixed. This is dealer #2 and I guarantee the next time I will be looking for
ANOTHER dealer. So far 2 in a row suck.
I would advise not to buy from Bonita Boat Center (the guys who broke my
engine) and Wolcott Marine (the guys who are not fixing it)
Assuming service is a criteria for picking a dealer.
John Smith

Greg,
Is it possible, if you gave dealer number 1 the option to fix it, they would
have jumped thru hoops to correct the problem?

"Greg" wrote in message
I still think they should be able to do better than they are. I'm not

talking
about missing my appointment by a few HOURS, we are talking almost TWO

WEEKS.
They can't have had that many surprises.
(update, still not back from 3/16)
Why don't they give you a slot and post it on their web site (now serving

Greg

Greg,
Is it possible, if you gave dealer number 1 the option to fix it, they would
have jumped thru hoops to correct the problem?

I have taken it to them twice. Both times they didn't fix the original problem
and put on another one. They may be great "hoop jumpers" but they suck at
fixing outboards.