Carl Craver

Default Do we all agree???

It seems that when someone post a complaint about
OT subjects, most everyone agrees that they have no place
here.
However, no one does anything to stop it.
All you posters who are guilty know who you are.
If you must post political topics, go to a political ng
to do so.
If you feel you must extend an already drawn out subject
by flaming someone, then email them direct. Better yet,
exchange phone numbers and you both could discuss things
real time.
Yes, I can activate filters to block most of the crap... but why should I
have to when this is a news group about boating?
When I filter my incoming posts I never know if
I may be missing something important.
Not all of us have broadband internet and every extra ot
post takes just that much longer to download.

OK...(stepping down off soap box) I'm finished.
Carl G. Craver

Kevin in San Diego

Filtering does wonders. No angst, just poof, they are gone.

KH

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 16:54:02 GMT, "Carl Craver"
wrote:

It seems that when someone post a complaint about
OT subjects, most everyone agrees that they have no place
here.
However, no one does anything to stop it.
All you posters who are guilty know who you are.
If you must post political topics, go to a political ng
to do so.

[SNIP]
OK...(stepping down off soap box) I'm finished.
Carl G. Craver

Carl, you (and many others here) miss the point, entirely.

Most of those that incessantly post off topic do so because their sole
intent is to be irritating. Check and see how many of these people
have *NEVER* posted a single on topic sentence. One of them finally
opened my eyes to the *real* problem when I posted a complaint similar
to yours. He freely and openly admitted that he came never to
rec.boats to discuss boats. He openly admitted to being a newsgroup
vandal, encouraged others to quit rec.boats and then went on to email
members of rec.boats the mailing lists that he supposedly takes part
in, though I could never find any of his posts there, either.
Moderated mailing lists thwart these posters intents and tend to show
them people for the boating wannabees that they are. Additionally,
this same poster has since admitted that he has given up boating, but
continues coming here spewing off topic drivel. It appears that he....
and many others (for whatever agenda) have taken upon themselves the
task of vandalizing and ruining rec.boats so that nobody will be here
talking about boats.

As nothing can be *done* about this matter to make them *stop,* they
will continue, like spoiled, bratty children to continue screaming,
"La La La La La La" to ensure that others have difficulty
communicating.

Trust me, your only recourse is to either manually ignore them or get
a newsreader that uses filters to eliminate unwanted topics and (as a
last resort) people. Presently, I find that just over 53% of postings
are off topic.... I know it seems like a lot more, but I have written
a few filters in Agent that have virtually eliminated my need to read
topics not relating to boats.

Again, the important thing to remember is that you can't make them go
away, you can't make them stop, but you *can* ignore them. Automate
this process and you will have the "old" newsgroup back. I do.

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/

Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/directions.asp Where

Southport,NC is located.
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/autoupdater.htm Real Time Pictures

at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats

at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

John Smith

Carl, the people who post off topic politcal crap do so because they can not
have an intellegent conversation in a real political NG. There is nothing
you are going to say to stop these people, because by nature they are rude,
inconsiderate, self absorbed people. The only way to get rid of them is to
use filters or kill files to delete those individuals who are not worth
reading.

If you need any help setting up your filters do a search on Google and they
will show you how to set up your newsreader to remove the trash.

"Carl Craver" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Butch Ammon

Agreed...

I am guilty as charged with occasionally fueling some of the OT threads. There
is not much to talk about during the winter months, so the NG gets bombarded
with all sorts of topics.

Before you or anyone looks down their nose at me or banishes me to the darkest
depths of hell, let me make a few points:

Yes, I have a boat. Yes, I go boating. I own a 1975 old trihull 17'
Mercruiser I/O. I am a freshwater boater on small lakes in Virginia.

http://members.aol.com/ammonc/boatyard.jpg

http://members.aol.com/ammonc/Ammonboat.jpg

http://members.aol.com/ammonc/165engine.jpg

Click on any link above to see a photo of me, my boat, my boat's engine,
etc....

I know I am probably blocked by a few people on this NG, so if somehow,
someway, this thread gets through to them, I wanted to publicly apologize for
any fuel I have added to flames and contributions to annoying OT threads.

{steps off another soapbox}

Butch Ammon

Clams Canino

If you filter the *correct* words in the headers you'll *never* miss an on
topic post. When I did my list - I left the words "left" and "right" out for
that very reason.

But you can bet if you just filter: Bush, Kerry, Dubya, GOP, Dems,
Democrats, Republicans - OUT - that you'll cut the spam by 90% and miss
nothing you'd deem important.

It takes longer to write (yet another) OT post complaining about OT posts,
than it does to set up a filter. So laziness isn't a real factor.

-W

"Carl Craver" wrote in message
ink.net...

Yes, I can activate filters to block most of the crap... but why should I
have to when this is a news group about boating?
When I filter my incoming posts I never know if
I may be missing something important.

Florida Keyz

Where do you get these filters?
John Smith

Clams,
If on topic posts were never hijacked by those who love to bring off topic
posts into each and every topic, the filters work very well. I would
recommend filter OT, Bush, Kerry, Dubya, Dems, Democrats, Republicans etc.
Then block out anyone who insists on trying to hijack a thread.

The point I was trying to make is compaining about the OT posts won't remove
them. The more people just ignore of filter the OT posts the less there
will be.

"Clams Canino" wrote in message
If you filter the *correct* words in the headers you'll *never* miss an on
topic post. When I did my list - I left the words "left" and "right" out

for
that very reason.

But you can bet if you just filter: Bush, Kerry, Dubya, GOP, Dems,
Democrats, Republicans - OUT - that you'll cut the spam by 90% and miss
nothing you'd deem important.

It takes longer to write (yet another) OT post complaining about OT posts,
than it does to set up a filter. So laziness isn't a real factor.

-W

"Carl Craver" wrote in message
ink.net...

Yes, I can activate filters to block most of the crap... but why should

have to when this is a news group about boating?
When I filter my incoming posts I never know if
I may be missing something important.

John Smith

I see you use AOL, can you use Outlook Express to download newsgroups or do
you have to do via their web site? If you can't use a newsreader, you need
to change ISP or continue to add to the OT posts by compaining about the
jerks. If complaining about them would correct the problem, but you know it
does'nt. My guess is some of the people actually like it when someone
complains. It just gives them more attention, which they are desperately
seeking.