BoatBanter.com

-   -   New York -- Singer Britney Spears... (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/35220-re-new-york-singer-britney-spears.html)

Short Wave Sportfishing April 20th 05 09:43 PM

New York -- Singer Britney Spears...

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 20:42:55 GMT, wrote:

New York -- Singer Britney Spears was found hanged in her kitchen.

Whoops - she did it again.

Yes, it's me April 20th 05 09:57 PM

She did not hang herself. According to CNN she died in a car accident.
Singer Britney Spears Killed in Car Accident

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- A car accident Saturday evening has cost the
life of Britney Spears, teen pop music sensation, and has placed fellow
passenger and musician Justin Timberlake in critical condition at Los
Angeles County Hospital.

Spears and Timberlake were driving through the Los Angeles area late
Saturday as both enjoyed a brief moment away from their busy touring and
recording schedules when, according to eyewitness reports, their car, a
rented Porsche 911, veered suddenly across six lanes of traffic and into a
concrete barrier.

Motorists at the scene reported that Spears was ejected from the vehicle at
impact and flew into opposing traffic, where she was caught under the wheels
of at least one other vehicle before traffic could stop. Timberlake remained
safely in the damaged vehicle.

"It was horrible, absolutely horrible," said one witness to the scene, "she
was thrown around on the road like a rag doll. We stopped and ran to help
but it was obvious there was nothing we could do."

Authorities pronounced Spears dead at the scene, while Timberlake was rushed
to emergency surgery to treat internal bleeding.

The cause of the accident is still officially unknown, but witnesses on the
scene have told CNN that Timberlake, who was behind the wheel of the
vehicle, may have been under the influence of controlled substances, and
that Spears may have been engaged in activities that may have distracted him
from the road.

"It's too early to say at this point what may have caused the accident,"
said an officer at the scene, "it appears that the driver lost control of
the vehicle suddenly, but we're still determining why that happened."

http://cnnbritney.notlong.com

JimH April 20th 05 10:09 PM

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 20:42:55 GMT, wrote:

New York -- Singer Britney Spears was found hanged in her kitchen.

Whoops - she did it again.

I bet it leaves a mark this time.

Short Wave Sportfishing April 21st 05 12:49 AM

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 19:36:40 -0400, Jeff wrote:

Bill Sornson wrote:
wrote:

Q. What's worse that a virus-spreading, spamming POS?

A. A /really stupid/ virus-spreading, spamming POS.

Even worse are the idiots that repost the original even though most
news servers have already killed it.

Yes, but if it DID happen? :)

Later,

Tom

Short Wave Sportfishing April 21st 05 02:18 PM

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 05:50:22 +0200 (CEST), George Orwell
wrote:

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:
On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 20:42:55 GMT, wrote:

New York -- Singer Britney Spears was found hanged in her kitchen.

Whoops - she did it again.

Reputable Links? Or are you gullible?

Um....you do realize that this spoof has happened more than once don't
you? This makes about the fourth or fifth time if memory serves me -
at least on newsgroups I have hung out on over the years.

The bigger question is why you couldn't see the humor of using a
Spears song to inject a little humor to the spam.

That's sad dude, sad.

Later,

Tom

Short Wave Sportfishing April 21st 05 02:46 PM

wrote:

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 20:42:55 GMT, wrote:

New York -- Singer Britney Spears was found hanged in her kitchen.

Whoops - she did it again.

Reputable Links? Or are you gullible?

Um....you do realize that this spoof has happened more than once don't
you? This makes about the fourth or fifth time if memory serves me -
at least on newsgroups I have hung out on over the years.

The bigger question is why you couldn't see the humor of using a
Spears song to inject a little humor to the spam.

That's sad dude, sad.

I got a call from Britney last night. She was crying, and said you
wouldn't confess to being the daddy of her expected baby.

Shame on you.

Well, that would be quite a magic trick for me to be the father - one
might say a miracle in fact.

A miracle on the scale of climbing Mt. Everest in nothing more than a
Speedo.

Later,

Tom

Don White April 21st 05 03:38 PM

Harry.Krause wrote:

I got a call from Britney last night. She was crying, and said you
wouldn't confess to being the daddy of her expected baby.

Shame on you.

I'll accept responsibility if she'll come visit occasionally.

Short Wave Sportfishing April 21st 05 04:49 PM

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:28:26 -0400, "Harry.Krause"
wrote:

Don White wrote:
Harry.Krause wrote:

I got a call from Britney last night. She was crying, and said you
wouldn't confess to being the daddy of her expected baby.

Shame on you.

I'll accept responsibility if she'll come visit occasionally.

Take a number.

Here - have mine.

Later,

Tom

Short Wave Sportfishing April 22nd 05 01:56 AM

On 21 Apr 2005 23:10:05 -0000, er
(I am not a spears fan) wrote:

wrote:

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:
On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 20:42:55 GMT,
wrote:

New York -- Singer Britney Spears was found hanged in her kitchen.

Whoops - she did it again.

Reputable Links? Or are you gullible?

Um....you do realize that this spoof has happened more than once don't
you? This makes about the fourth or fifth time if memory serves me -
at least on newsgroups I have hung out on over the years.

The bigger question is why you couldn't see the humor of using a
Spears song to inject a little humor to the spam.

That's sad dude, sad.

Sorry, in the groups I regularly hang out in, the posts are always On
Topic. Wrecked.boats differs. Seems the other groups have more intelligent
and considerate posters.

Just for fun, name the groups that are considerate, have more
intelligent posters and are always on topic that you participate in
on a regular basis.

I'd really like to know.

Later,

Tom

Jim, April 22nd 05 02:58 AM

Seems nobody but a few have the courage to reveal themselves

er

I'm sure there are more -- this is just going back maybe 30 messages..

Hey Guys -- Yahoo has great filters for spam -- no need to hide (unless
of course you're ashamed of your postings.

Bert Robbins April 22nd 05 03:00 AM

It seems that quite a few of us have learned that USENET is a great place to
farm valid e-mail addresses and we have decided to reduct the number of spam
in our mailboxes by providing bogus e-mail addreses.

Jim, April 22nd 05 03:16 AM

Bert Robbins wrote:

It seems that quite a few of us have learned that USENET is a great place to
farm valid e-mail addresses and we have decided to reduct the number of spam
in our mailboxes by providing bogus e-mail addreses.

Yet I post a valid Yahoo address, and get very little spam

Yes, it's me April 22nd 05 04:17 AM

Jim,,
You should be ashamed of yours. You cut and paste articles that disprove
the point you are trying to make.

Jim, April 22nd 05 04:26 AM

Yes, it's me wrote:

Jim,,
You should be ashamed of yours. You cut and paste articles that disprove
the point you are trying to make.

And this relates to my post -- how?

Richard J Kinch April 22nd 05 09:27 AM

Bert Robbins writes:

It seems that quite a few of us have learned that USENET is a great
place to farm valid e-mail addresses and we have decided to reduct the
number of spam in our mailboxes by providing bogus e-mail addreses.

Keeping email addresses secret is a stupid anti-spam tactic, treating it
like a semi-password. An email address only performs to the extent you
spread it around to potential non-spam correspondents. As you do that, it
eventually become publicized somewhere, and then you're sunk.

This was obvious decades ago when secret unlisted telephone numbers were
known to be a useless method of stopping nuisance calls.

If you think you'll just restrict your correspondents to those who won't
leak your email address, then you aren't using email per se. A key concept
of email is that anyone can reach you with it.

If I can't publicize my email address and still control spam, then email is
a waste of time. We'd be better off using something other than email. The
very ideal of email is to publicize your address.

Bert Robbins April 22nd 05 11:40 AM

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Bert Robbins writes:

[...]

Ok, Dick. Since I have stopped using an valid e-mail address when posting to
USENET I have reducded the SPAM e-mail I recive by 90%. You figure it out
Dick!

Short Wave Sportfishing April 22nd 05 11:44 AM

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 18:44:43 -0700 (PDT), A.Melon
wrote:

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

wrote:

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:
On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 20:42:55 GMT,
wrote:

New York -- Singer Britney Spears was found hanged in her kitchen.

Whoops - she did it again.

Reputable Links? Or are you gullible?

Um....you do realize that this spoof has happened more than once don't
you? This makes about the fourth or fifth time if memory serves me -
at least on newsgroups I have hung out on over the years.

The bigger question is why you couldn't see the humor of using a
Spears song to inject a little humor to the spam.

That's sad dude, sad.

Sorry, in the groups I regularly hang out in, the posts are always On
Topic. Wrecked.boats differs. Seems the other groups have more intelligent
and considerate posters.

Just for fun, name the groups that are considerate, have more
intelligent posters and are always on topic that you participate in
on a regular basis.

I'd really like to know.

rec.boats.cruising

Not by a long shot.

Nice try though.

Have a good life.

Later,

Tom

Short Wave Sportfishing April 22nd 05 11:58 AM

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 03:27:56 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Bert Robbins writes:

[...]

Why control it? Don't put yourself in the position to receive any.
When I open my email box, nothing is there that shouldn't be there.

Since I stopped using a valid email address on Usenet, which was about
five years ago, I haven't had the excessive spam that most get. And
forget the *remove-me* type tactics - the spam bot crawlers on Usenet
are much more intelligent than they were in the past.

If somebody is interested in conversing with me privately off list, I
am more than willing to accommodate them with a valid email address.

Just publishing one for the world to see is meaningless. Besides,
it's on my website which is easily findable and accessible if you go
looking.

One more comment. Jim probably has more than one email address. It's
interesting that his email is a Yahoo address which is probably a mail
drop. His own personal, family or other email address is just as
private as mine is.

Can't prove that of course, but I'd still bet it's true. :)

Later,

Tom

Yes, it's me April 22nd 05 01:15 PM

Clams,
The fact that one uses a legitimate email address does not place any more
value on his thoughts than anyone else. If you notice, those without an
original thought (i.e. those who cut and paste articles) seem to use a
legitimate address.
There might be a correlation here.

link.net...

Jim, April 22nd 05 02:02 PM

wrote:

Bert Robbins writes:

[...]

I do have another email address I use for friends and family -- Yahoo is
for newsgroups, but I am still able to be contacted by those who wish to
respond privately to any of my postings. I have no need to hide behind
fake addresses or remailers.

Jim, April 22nd 05 03:13 PM

Yes, it's me wrote:
Jim,,,
You may have a yahoo address, but do you actually check your email?

Yes -- Yahoo separates into real and junk. I check the real and dump
the junk. I don't respond to those (and their have been a couple) who
write to call me names. I will respond to a serious question.

John H April 22nd 05 08:48 PM

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 07:25:10 -0400, "harry.krause"
wrote:

Another friggin name change. You getting hard up for attention, Harry?
--
John H

Eisboch April 22nd 05 11:41 PM

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote in message

Since I stopped using a valid email address on Usenet, which was about
five years ago, I haven't had the excessive spam that most get. And
forget the *remove-me* type tactics - the spam bot crawlers on Usenet
are much more intelligent than they were in the past.

Same here. For many years I posted a valid email address on posts to this
newsgroup and saw the number and frequency of unwanted spam increase
dramatically in email. I finally (and reluctantly) began to spoof the email
address in the newsgroup setup and the number of spam email gradually
diminished to the point where now I rarely get anything I am not expecting.

The valid email address was back when this newsgroup was much more civil and
sane. Sure, there were the OT debates and Bayliner bashing, but all in all
the group was enjoyable to participate in and often contained some genuine
humor. It's sad to witness how rec.boats has deteriorated to what it is
today in a few short years.

Oh well. Off to visit the boats tomorrow, do some spring cleaning and stock
the refrigerators.

Eisboch

Per Krabbe April 23rd 05 12:16 AM

"Jim," skrev i en meddelelse
Seems nobody but a few have the courage to reveal themselves

er

I'm sure there are more -- this is just going back maybe 30 messages..

Hey Guys -- Yahoo has great filters for spam -- no need to hide (unless
of course you're ashamed of your postings.

Do you know this guy ?

pkc

JimH April 23rd 05 12:22 AM

"Per Krabbe" wrote in message
. ..
"Jim," skrev i en meddelelse
Seems nobody but a few have the courage to reveal themselves

er

I'm sure there are more -- this is just going back maybe 30 messages..

Hey Guys -- Yahoo has great filters for spam -- no need to hide (unless
of course you're ashamed of your postings.

Do you know this guy ?

pkc

Yahoo....a nice description of jimcomma.

Dan Krueger April 23rd 05 12:49 AM

It has nothing to do with "courage" and why are you using a Yahoo email
address yourself, Jim?

Mine is mildly altered. Anyone with a brain can figure it out. The
"spambots" hopefully can't. Not only did I get a crapload of spam
before, but I also picked up a virus of some sort that would send emails
from my address to people all over the world - most bounced back so I
knew they weren't from me but I was dealing with 60+ returned emails at
the time. No one needs to deal with that.

The bottom line is that this is a public newsgroup for discussion about
boats and boating and no one really needs to know anyone's real email
address anyway. Recently the remailer(s) is/are a pain in the ass since
they seem to be trolling or bashing and have nothing to add to the group.

Dan

Jim, April 23rd 05 01:15 AM

Dan Krueger wrote:
It has nothing to do with "courage" and why are you using a Yahoo email
address yourself, Jim?

I use Yahoo because I have separate addresses for separate purposes. If
you write me at the above address, and are reasonably polite, I will
respond. Yahoo filters the spam for me. You can tell a bit about the
mentality and attitude of some other posters by their address. I
suspect some are only in their early teens.

Richard J Kinch April 23rd 05 03:13 AM

Gene Kearns writes:

I post with directions to find my true email address, but when I use
my email address in the clear (so to speak) I get tons of SPAM.

It is very desirable to have one email address for life.

Once your address gets publicized, it is immediately propagated to every
spam list, and stays there.

Keeping your address secret doesn't work, and spoils a key benefit of
having email, which is to hear from new people.

Changing your email address frequently (more than once in a lifetime) is
likewise a worse problem. Having to update your correspondents (and having
to read their updates) is a huge waste, and proportional to N**2 of your
circle. It becomes a kind of spam in itself.

You have to think these things through. Think of what happens in the
extreme.

Wayne.B April 23rd 05 08:04 AM

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:13:53 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

It is very desirable to have one email address for life.

=================

Good concept but not practical in todays world. Better to have a
"private" EMAIL address known only to friends and business contacts,
and a "public" EMAIL where your address is exposed to the world. If
the public EMAIL gets too overburdened with SPAM, just throw it away
and start over with a new one. In actuality, the free web based EMAIL
services like HOTMAIL and GMAIL are doing a very good job with SPAM
blocking.

Richard J Kinch April 23rd 05 08:18 AM

Wayne.B writes:

Better to have a
"private" EMAIL address known only to friends and business contacts,
and a "public" EMAIL where your address is exposed to the world.

Why two? You still have to read them both.

And maybe you didn't follow my earlier explanation. Once your "private"
address leaks onto a spam list, it is on all of them, forever.

Tom Francis April 23rd 05 11:39 AM

wrote:

Once your address gets publicized, it is immediately propagated to every
spam list, and stays there.

Exactly.

Keeping your address secret doesn't work, and spoils a key benefit of
having email, which is to hear from new people.

To each their own. IF you mean business contacts, that sure as hell
isn't done by email. If you are talking about just random folks
dropping you messages, start a blog.

I keep mine separate and that's just the way it is.

To each their own. :)

Later,

Tom

John H April 23rd 05 01:45 PM

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 23:49:21 GMT, Dan Krueger
wrote:

It has nothing to do with "courage" and why are you using a Yahoo email
address yourself, Jim?

Mine is mildly altered. Anyone with a brain can figure it out. The
"spambots" hopefully can't. Not only did I get a crapload of spam
before, but I also picked up a virus of some sort that would send emails
from my address to people all over the world - most bounced back so I
knew they weren't from me but I was dealing with 60+ returned emails at
the time. No one needs to deal with that.

The bottom line is that this is a public newsgroup for discussion about
boats and boating and no one really needs to know anyone's real email
address anyway. Recently the remailer(s) is/are a pain in the ass since
they seem to be trolling or bashing and have nothing to add to the group.

Dan

I posted mine here for a while. My spam went way up. Also, I began receiving
emails from individuals in the group with whom I didn't care to communicate
privately.

If private communication is desired or desirable, there are ways.
--
John H

Wayne.B April 23rd 05 03:30 PM

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 02:18:30 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Why two? You still have to read them both.

And maybe you didn't follow my earlier explanation. Once your "private"
address leaks onto a spam list, it is on all of them, forever.

==========================

My point was that if you avoid posting your private EMAIL, it will
attract less SPAM, hopefully none. If your public EMAIL gets hammered
(and it will), just drop it and get a new one.

Yes, it's me April 23rd 05 03:35 PM

Wayne,
If you check your "public" email on a regular basis, why bother with two
emails. I use a Yahoo email, when I need to register for a web site, but
unless I might go months without checking the public email.

The issue of posting your email in NG's is to silly to even discuss. I
don't see anyone posting home addresses and telephone numbers, why an email
address?

Wayne.B April 23rd 05 06:06 PM

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:35:36 -0400, "Yes, it's me"

don't see anyone posting home addresses and telephone numbers, why an email
address?

======================

People occasionally want to exchange information in a non-public forum
- such as addresses, phone numbers and private EMAIL info. I will do
that with people I know to be reasonable and with whom I have a common
interest.

I check my public EMAIL at least once a week, more often if I'm
expecting something. I've been using the same Hotmail address for
over a year and it has remained amazingly SPAM free, perhaps because
people assume it's a munged address, or possibly because of Hotmail's
strong filtering.

Ed H April 23rd 05 06:45 PM

Ok im a little confused as usual But can someone tell me where you change
your email address at when posting so it doesnt show your real email address
? Sorry in advance for a stupid question. Do you change it in the
google.com where I signed up to this list ?

Thanks
Ed