Default Books on Kayaking

For my guyfriend's birthday I want to get him a book on kayaking. He
goes regularly and actually recently started a new job as a tour guide.
He is from NC, so I was thinking about a book with rivers and such.
There are many to choose from, can you give me some input?

Thanks
-Megan

Padeen

The classic, of course, is Wm Nealy's "Kayak: A Manual of Technique". Get
him this and bundle it with "Whitewater Home Companion: Volume 1 & 2" and
he'll have lots to think about! Search Amazon for "William Nealy" for more
info.
Padeen

wrote in message
oups.com...
For my guyfriend's birthday I want to get him a book on kayaking. He
goes regularly and actually recently started a new job as a tour guide.
He is from NC, so I was thinking about a book with rivers and such.
There are many to choose from, can you give me some input?

Thanks
-Megan

John Fereira

"Padeen" wrote in
:

The classic, of course, is Wm Nealy's "Kayak: A Manual of Technique".
Get him this and bundle it with "Whitewater Home Companion: Volume 1 &
2" and he'll have lots to think about! Search Amazon for "William
Nealy" for more info.

The Nealy books are good choices if he's a white water kayaker but the OP
mentioned taht he recently got a job as a tour guide so it's unclear what
kind of paddling he's actually doing.

If he's sea kayaking I recommend Pam Malec's "Guide to Sea Kayaking in North
Carolina". There are lots of good books on technique but recommending
something depends on his interest and experience. Nigel Fosters "Surf
Kayaking" might be good if he's near the coast. One of his DVD's from his
instruction series would also be good. Derek Hutchinson's books as well.
I also highly recommend both of Chris Duff's books; "On Celtic Tides" and
"Southern Exposure".

wrote in message
oups.com...
For my guyfriend's birthday I want to get him a book on kayaking. He
goes regularly and actually recently started a new job as a tour
guide.
He is from NC, so I was thinking about a book with rivers and such.
There are many to choose from, can you give me some input?

Thanks
-Megan

William R. Watt

I'd stick to books on paddling technique or boat design.
If you buy him books on paddling the Amazon or the one about paddling
around Scotland, you could see a lot less of him.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Dave Manby

Doug Ammons's Book the Laugh of The Water Nymph and other river stories
is the best kayaking book I have read.

--
Dave Manby
Details of the Coruh river and my book "Many Rivers To Run" at

Jim Michaud

By far, the best book that I've ever read on how to canoe or kayak is "Catch
Every Eddy, Surf Every Wave" by Tom Foster and Kel Kelly. I recommend it
highly.

Jim Michaud

oups.com...