Wayne B.:

Where you headed north to?

Bill McKee

"chuck" wrote in message
Thanks for the comment, Jeff. It is indeed sloppy reporting since I see
the ESA website reports 200 supertankers and container ships exceeding 200
meters in length were sunk in the last two decades by severe weather!!!
Quite a departure from the CBC story.

On the other hand, ESA's study was based on only 3 weeks of observation,
during which they found ten waves above 25 meters. If their sample is
unbiased, we would expect to see about 170 such waves per year. Still an
amazing number.

Chuck

Jeff wrote:
Thats a typically sloppy, exaggerated news report. The oft-cited ESA
report found 10 waves 25 meters or more and extrapolated from that.
Roughly 100 ships a year are sunk, and while rogue waves are the possible
cause of many, that's a long way from proving that such waves "destroy
200 ships a year."

chuck wrote:

The following was excerpted from a CBC story on the cruise ship:

"According to its satellite surveillance, the European Space Agency
estimates 'rogue' waves can reach up to 35 metres high and destroy about
200 ships a year."

Chuck

NOYB wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

On 17 Apr 2005 08:07:02 -0700, wrote:

Expect a couple of familiar voices crying out that such waves don't
exist. :-)

There are a lot of commercial ships floating the ocean that would not
survive a 20' rogue wave. Lots of junk still in use.

Wayne.B

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 10:35:21 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

That last part read like a Tom Clancy novel. :)

===================

Thanks (I think). One of the highlights of the trip home on Sunday
afternoon was spotting a green object floating in the Gulf of Mexico
about two miles south west of Sanibel Island. Every once in a while
the wind would get under it and flip it over a few times as it sped
downwind into open water. We altered course to investigate, thinking
it could possibly be an overturned boat or kayak. When we got closer
it turned out to be a floating pool toy, an eight foot inflatable
plastic alligator to be precise. We immediately rescued the gator,
saving him from near certain immigration difficulties at the Cuban or
Mexican border within a few days.

The gator will be named in due time and officially adopted as ship's
mascot. Meanwhile he's resting comfortably in the pool outside my
office as a reminder of a windy, fun day on the Gulf.

NOYB

news
wrote:

[...]

I saw something almost as cool: a floating armadillo about 7 miles SW of
Matanzas Pass. He must have been trying to swim to the US from Mexico and
didn't make it.

Wayne.B

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 12:52:16 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

NY, CT, Long Island Sound and Cape Cod Islands.

Blech. All blue states.

==========================

Could be but real nice boating in the summer time.

Aren't you from NJ originally, or do I have it wrong?

NOYB

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 12:52:16 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

NY, CT, Long Island Sound and Cape Cod Islands.

Blech. All blue states.

==========================

Could be but real nice boating in the summer time.

Aren't you from NJ originally, or do I have it wrong?

Yes, originally. I could have chosen to live anywhere after dental school.
I chose Florida. NJ was on the list of possible states too...about 3 spots
from the bottom.

Wayne.B

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:11:34 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

NJ was on the list of possible states too...about 3 spots
from the bottom.

After working there for 12+ years, I'd speculate that you put it three
spots too high. There are some nice coastal areas however, and the
fishings not bad if you go offshore.

NOYB

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:11:34 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

NJ was on the list of possible states too...about 3 spots
from the bottom.

After working there for 12+ years, I'd speculate that you put it three
spots too high.

grin

There are some nice coastal areas however, and the
fishings not bad if you go offshore.

I have nothing against the state...just a good portion of the people.

Geographically, it's like a mini-California. There are beaches, mountains,
industry, farms, etc. No desert though...

I spent every summer at the Jersey Shore boating on Barnegat Bay. My
hometown was in the NE part of the state, and it was a fine place to grow
up. Like I said, though, there's a large proportion of folks who come from
NJ that are rude PITA's.

And the weather sucks from December through April.

Wave heights Roger Long Cruising 61 January 11th 05 04:53 PM
Mr Long.. read this one rhys Cruising 2 January 2nd 05 09:18 PM
Notes on a cruise to Cowichan Bay Gould 0738 General 1 December 14th 04 08:28 PM
Antenna Ratings sk Electronics 22 January 7th 04 12:27 PM
Long Island Sound wave height question Chris General 7 September 1st 03 03:48 PM