Richjay

Default Was this a good deal?

I'm a first-time boat buyer looking for some feedback. I just put a
deposit on a 2004 Glastron SX 195 SF (Ski & Fish) at the New England
Boat show. I was deciding between that and a Tahoe Q4 SF, but was
scared off by the Tahoe's inferior warranty and shoddy look of the
cockpit finishing work relative to the Glastron. Anyway, I tried to
work the best deal I could, but I was wondering if any experts can
make me feel better about getting a good deal and not getting ripped
off.

The deal was $22400 for the standard 195 SF with the Volvo 4.3L 190 HP
stern drive (upgraded from the 3.0L because of many comments on this
board), plus the fishing package (trolling motor, depth finder, and
batteries), a galvanized trailer, and a mooring cover. The sales guy
also threw in "for free" an extended Volvo 2+4 warranty, and brakes on
the trailer. Even so, the options added about $2500 to the "base
price" of the boat, apparently the fishing package is something like
$1600(!) You'd think a Ski and Fish boat would include the fishing
package in the base price!

Also, are there any other options that people would highly recommend?
The sales guy was pushing the tilt steering, is that really worth
getting? How about the snap-in carpet? Seemed unnecessary, and
likely to get fishy and dirty.

I have ten days to modify my options or cancel the order altogether,
so any help I can get would be much appreciated. Thanks!
trainfan1

Richjay wrote:
[...]

Awesome boat. The VEC hulls make others look shoddy when compared
side-by-side.

On the carpet, you may want to check back on that... I like to call the
"snap in" carpets "snap out" instead... due to their ability to be
removed at all as opposed to being fixed into the boat.

You will be very pleased with the 4.3 over the 3.0 Litre, & the Volvo
over the Mercruiser... a much smoother drive.

The "Fish 'n Ski" usually refers to the cabin, seating, & windshield
layout, not necessarily the standard equipment.

I would be clueless as to the price point on your boat, but I am
envious! Happy boating!

Rob
Dan Krueger

What does the $1600 package include? If it's just a trolling motor, deep cycle
battery, and a fish finder, take a pass. You can buy those for a total of $1000
including an Autopilot MinnKota and a very nice fish finder. Ask for free
installation of your motor and electronics - you will probably get it.

Dan

Richjay wrote:

[...]

CaptMP

Richjay-You'll love the 4.3 engine, I have a '99 that has been trouble free
(though it's a Mercruiser, it's still the same basic GM engine). Check and see
if the (?) dual battery is standard without the "fishing" package. You really
should have it but it's only $100 to $200 to install yourself. I agree with a
previous response that the fishing package is overpriced. It may be that the
"for free" brakes are REQUIRED by state law in your area (!), (they are in
Calif. on any trailer over 2000 lbs).
Was me, I'd trade the "fishing package" for fresh water cooling if you even
MIGHT run in salt or brackish water. Mine was $900 dealer installed in '99.
Leave the carpets at home and go fishing!
Best wishes
Mike
Short Wave Sportfishing

On 1 Mar 2004 16:37:40 -0800, (Richjay) wrote:

[...]

Don't limit yourself to Glastron. Take a look at the Ranger Reata
series fish and ski boats. The Ranger package is comparable to the
Glastron and it includes everything you mentioned in the base price.
It might be a little more expensive, but not much.

I looked the line over at the Worcester MA Sportsman show and from
what I saw, it 's a very impressive boat package - soup to nuts.

http://www.rangerboats.com/pages/boats/190.cfm

Please note that I am not affiliated with Ranger in any fashion other
than I own a Ranger boat.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

Basic Fishing Program:

10 - Fish
20 - Eat
30 - Sleep
40 - Goto 10

Tony Thomas

I would say it is a decent price for all that you got. You definitely made
a good choice to upgrade to the V6 engine. I would probably have tried for
the small V8 if available. More power is always better.
The fishing package is not included as standard. The Ski and Fish just
means that it is available. Most people don't want it. $1600 is about
right for the package but it includes more than the trolling motor, depth
finder, and batteries. It also includes the bass seat (or seats), live
well, and rigging for all these items. If it is only what you say, then
call and drop it. You can get those items for about $600 plus install.
One suggestion - get the disk brakes on the trailer instead of the drum
brakes (if at all possible).
Make sure he threw in life jackets, throw cushion, horn, fire extinguisher,
tie up ropes, trailer tie downs, and 20 hour service. If not, then these
items will cost you several 100 more by time it is done.

Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

om...

O.T. Some Good Points RGrew176 General 1 January 10th 04 09:04 AM
A Dickens Christmas Harry Krause General 0 December 25th 03 12:30 PM
OT--Amazing numbers NOYB General 66 December 10th 03 10:30 PM
Good weekend, except for one little cover problem. Calif Bill General 0 July 30th 03 05:18 AM