Dan Krueger

Default Was this a good deal?

What does the $1600 package include? If it's just a trolling motor, deep cycle
battery, and a fish finder, take a pass. You can buy those for a total of $1000
including an Autopilot MinnKota and a very nice fish finder. Ask for free
installation of your motor and electronics - you will probably get it.

Dan

Richjay wrote:

I'm a first-time boat buyer looking for some feedback. I just put a
deposit on a 2004 Glastron SX 195 SF (Ski & Fish) at the New England
Boat show. I was deciding between that and a Tahoe Q4 SF, but was
scared off by the Tahoe's inferior warranty and shoddy look of the
cockpit finishing work relative to the Glastron. Anyway, I tried to
work the best deal I could, but I was wondering if any experts can
make me feel better about getting a good deal and not getting ripped
off.

The deal was $22400 for the standard 195 SF with the Volvo 4.3L 190 HP
stern drive (upgraded from the 3.0L because of many comments on this
board), plus the fishing package (trolling motor, depth finder, and
batteries), a galvanized trailer, and a mooring cover. The sales guy
also threw in "for free" an extended Volvo 2+4 warranty, and brakes on
the trailer. Even so, the options added about $2500 to the "base
price" of the boat, apparently the fishing package is something like
$1600(!) You'd think a Ski and Fish boat would include the fishing
package in the base price!

Also, are there any other options that people would highly recommend?
The sales guy was pushing the tilt steering, is that really worth
getting? How about the snap-in carpet? Seemed unnecessary, and
likely to get fishy and dirty.

I have ten days to modify my options or cancel the order altogether,
so any help I can get would be much appreciated. Thanks!