BoatBanter.com

-   -   ( OT ) Who said (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/3376-re-ot-who-said.html)

Harry Krause March 4th 04 12:02 AM

( OT ) Who said

Henry Blackmoore wrote:

So totally dishonorable men who lie and cheat their way through life make
great leaders in your humble opinion?

Of course not. Look at Bush...lied and cheated his way to the top, and
he's a total failure as a president.

Clams Canino March 4th 04 12:37 AM

( OT ) Who said

"Henry Blackmoore" wrote in message news:Ucp1c.19769

So totally dishonorable men who lie and cheat their way through life make
great leaders in your humble opinion?

Hmmm interesting...

Well, JFK was a real WW2 hero, and then a great leader, yet as a "man" he
had considerable shortcomings. And in the end he gave his life in service of
this country, who am I to trash him?

I judge a leader by how well he executes his job as shepard of the people he
is supposed to be leading. In that regard, MLK did an outstanding job for
his constituancy, and as a result our entire country. He can sort out any
moral issues he had with God. I'd hire him again in a minute to lead, I
wouldn't hire him to ghost write for me, and I wouldn't marry him. See the
difference??

Both of these leaders practiced thier religion and well knew "the rules" of
life. If God has issues with them regarding honesty and promiscuity, so be
it. It's not for me to judge how they delt with the temptations that go with
"life at the top".

(Let me use another good and personal example. As a New Englander when I
was young, I got to see and meet a young musician named Steven Tyler. I
immediatly saw in him that "something", that "spark" that makes the
difference between "good" and "legend". One of those very rare people that
just personifies the "muse" in music. When he got to "the top", the
temptations of life at the top almost killed him. In 1982 I got to thinking
how the world really couldn't afford to lose another musical genius so soon
after Lennon, but ol' Steven was damn_near_dead, I saw it close up and
personal. Well, we all know that he rediscovered his spirituality, saved
himself, gave up all the drugs and alcohol that were killing him and muting
the muse, and as a net result he and his little band will go down as the
most successfull American band in history. And the good he has done in
getting "the message" out to young people about substance abuse is
immeasurable. Not to mention all the good work generating food for the
homeless that they have done. (If you donate 100 cans to a homeless
shelter - they *make* time to meet you, shake your hand, and thank you
personally.)

Are any of these "great *men*" I don't judge men. But I do know that they
are all national treasures in thier own fields. They added something to the
American tapestry than no_one_else could have added. Despite faults and
temptations, people like this become giants in thier chosen fields, be it
politics, civil rights, or the joy of music. It's not for me to judge them,
it's only for me to pray for these people and thank God for the gifts they
bring to others in the short time they are here.

Don't tell me about these peoples faults and weaknesses, we all have faults.
I'm very thankfull for what legacy they leave behind.

-W

John H March 4th 04 01:00 AM

( OT ) Who said

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 00:37:29 GMT, "Clams Canino"
wrote:

[...]

Wow, Clams! That was very nicely written.

Thank you.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

DSK March 4th 04 02:31 AM

( OT ) Who said

Clams Canino wrote:
Well, JFK was a real WW2 hero, and then a great leader, yet as a "man" he
had considerable shortcomings. And in the end he gave his life in service of
this country, who am I to trash him?

One of the issues I have with so many of the self-designated
"conservatives" around here is that they trash-mouth a lot of people who
have made great sacrifices for their country. Even if one doesn't think
much of JFK, he *did* stand behind his beliefs, fought for the good of
the whole country, and that deserves some respect.

As for exaggerating Dr. Martin Luther King's plagiarism, I guess that is
for those who think J.Edgar Hoover was a better American than MLK. In
the end, bigotry and racism is what it comes down to. Is that a
"conservative" principle?

Don't tell me about these peoples faults and weaknesses, we all have faults.
I'm very thankfull for what legacy they leave behind.

Well said.

Regards
Doug King

basskisser March 4th 04 05:01 PM

( OT ) Who said

"Joe" wrote in message ...
"Jim" wrote in message

Sorry Jim,

Saddam's not coming back.

Bin Laden will be caught soon.

And your poor excuse for a candidate will lose.

Please show any references, and/or briefings you may have to back up
your wild allegations.

basskisser March 4th 04 05:02 PM

( OT ) Who said

John H wrote in message . ..
On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 05:54:41 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

K. Smith wrote:

You nuffnuff you really are.

What??? you & your tax payer funded lying lefty bludger mates like
krause would have sat back to await for the next 911 type attack??
What?? maybe held a protest to tell the terrorists to stop??

Wow...this is a long bender for you...you got someone buying your
substances for you?

She's swatting mosquitoes, Harry!

John H

Like I said, some little thing sticks in your head, and you certainly
wear it out. Trouble is, it makes YOU the pesky little gnat.

John H March 4th 04 05:16 PM

( OT ) Who said

wrote:

K. Smith wrote:

You nuffnuff you really are.

What??? you & your tax payer funded lying lefty bludger mates like
krause would have sat back to await for the next 911 type attack??
What?? maybe held a protest to tell the terrorists to stop??

Wow...this is a long bender for you...you got someone buying your
substances for you?

She's swatting mosquitoes, Harry!

John H

Like I said, some little thing sticks in your head, and you certainly
wear it out. Trouble is, it makes YOU the pesky little gnat.

Don't 'preciate my 'teligent grammer, huh?

Henry Blackmoore March 4th 04 09:33 PM

( OT ) Who said

In article , (basskisser) wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
"Jim" wrote in message

Sorry Jim,

Saddam's not coming back.

Bin Laden will be caught soon.

And your poor excuse for a candidate will lose.

Please show any references, and/or briefings you may have to back up
your wild allegations.

Whacky weed clouding your mind again?

jk --there does that help?

Henry Blackmoore March 4th 04 09:41 PM

( OT ) Who said

In article , DSK wrote:

Clams Canino wrote:
Well, JFK was a real WW2 hero, and then a great leader, yet as a "man" he
had considerable shortcomings. And in the end he gave his life in service of
this country, who am I to trash him?

One of the issues I have with so many of the self-designated
"conservatives" around here is that they trash-mouth a lot of people who
have made great sacrifices for their country. Even if one doesn't think
much of JFK, he *did* stand behind his beliefs, fought for the good of
the whole country, and that deserves some respect.

As for exaggerating Dr. Martin Luther King's plagiarism,

Exaggerate? Hardly. I barely scratched the surface. Perhaps you are not
aware of the extent of the good Doctor's cheating? You are welcome to
study it in your own time at your leisure.

I guess that is
for those who think J.Edgar Hoover was a better American than MLK. In
the end, bigotry and racism is what it comes down to.

I never said anything about J. Edgar Hoover. And here we go with the race
card thingie. Why is it that the race card has to always be played when
it comes to any criticism of somebody of color? I would feel the same
way about a Anglo Dr. Martin Luther King.

Is that a
"conservative" principle?

I don't know. Since you know so much. Tell us yourself.

Don't tell me about these peoples faults and weaknesses, we all have faults.
I'm very thankfull for what legacy they leave behind.

We all have faults granted. But not all of us are prostitute-loving,
womanizing, women-beating communists that cheat our way through college
now are we?

Well said.

Thank-you

Regards