Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 14:37:40 -0700, "Brian D"
wrote:

Offset motors are NOT unusual, except maybe on white fiberglass bathtubs
with outboards on the back. Dive boats often have offset motors to make
room for a dive door next to the motor that opens onto a swim platform. As
an example, see the first link below. Boats by this designer range in size
from 18' to 24' and are very commonly run with an offset main motor, with or
without a kicker. The designer publishes a formula for how much to raise
the motor versus how far you offset it:

http://www.fishyfish.com/bobbruce/index.html (the main is WAY offset on this
one, 24-1/2' LOA)
http://www.alaska.net/~tolmanskiffs (the designer's web site)
http://www.fishyfish.com/tolmanskiff.html (several other examples)

Very interesting. Thanks for the post.

I have never seen anything quite like that.

Later,

Tom
Brian D

The boats in the links that I gave have minor fairbody and side strakes, in
addition to their 8 to 12 degree deadrise (depends on model). They all work
hunky dory with offset mains. The only thing some owners have said is that
if they offset too far, that they get more cavitation turning in one
direction compared to the other as you might guess. They ALL say (in spite
of that Kraus asshole) that the boats operate fine and that you can't tell
the motor's offset by how the boat handles. They probably lose a little
efficiency since the boat is probably traveling at an ever-so-slight crab
angle when motoring straight ahead (due to the offset line of thrust). But
if so, it's not measurable. These boats get good mileage due to their light
weight and modest deadrise regardless. They are used offshore in Alaska and
have 'seen it all' when it comes to ocean weather/waves/swells, and that
includes with an offset main. As I mentioned, the use of an offset main is
very common on these. It's also common on many of the aluminum boats around
here, and for the same reason. I suppose Krause knows all about commercial
fishing and letting nets out the back, dive doors, etc right? Yeah, right.
I don't know where Kraus is, but he sure ain't from around here and he sure
does NOT know it all. That's for damn sure. I've only just 'met' him and
I'm adding him to my 'blocked' list already. Not worth responding to. What
a dumbass.

Brian D

wrote:

[...]

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 23:48:38 -0700, "Brian D"
wrote:

~ ~snippage~~

As I mentioned, the use of an offset main is very common on
these. It's also common on many of the aluminum boats around
here, and for the same reason.

Interesting. My main concern with the original post was exactly what
you mentioned - crabbing while under way. Thinking about it though, I
can see how it would work on these boats with the moderate deadrise.

I also am curious about chine walking at speed.

I guess the real question is why the boat isn't built a little wider
to accommodate the door?

Even in the standard configuration, it would seem to me that there is
plenty of room on the starboard side of the boat to put the kicker and
leave enough room for the door on the port.

The only experience I have with dive boats have mostly been boats with
open sterns like Privateers.

Later,

Tom