Default Watched a sinking this morning.......

We enjoyed a wonderful day cruise to Port Orchard.

One of the more unusual things I've seen while boating occured just as
we were leaving the marina.

A very old old wooden fishboat had been secured to the barge buoy
outside the breakwater. When I arrived at our boat, just a few minutes
before the Mrs who came by separate car, I noted the fishboat on the
buoy and wondered why it was there. I concluded that perhaps the boat
had some engine problems and that somebody had towed it to the barge
buoy, tied it off, and the crew had gone ashore and planned to deal
with the problem the following day.

It took about 20 minutes for my wife to arrive, to get the boat
started, untie, and motor around the end of the breakwater to where the
barge buoy was visible again. Oh, oh!

The fishboat was down at the stern and listing to starboard!

Several boats were racing to the scene, and a sailboat radioed the
Mayday just as I was about to pick up the mic and do the same.

I didn't appear that anybody was aboard, but there was a small skiff
tethered to the boat and that seemed potentially ominous. If there was
somebody aboard, they must have been asleep or trapped in the engine
room as there was nobody on deck or any other sign of life. One party
in a small fishboat had pulled up very close alongside and was
inspecting as carefully as he could. There were 6-7 boats immediately
alongside already and in touch with the authorities so I didn't see any
reason to clutter up the area with our additional boat. Had there been
only a boat or two on the scene we obviously would have stayed. When
rescue arrives, they don't want a whole herd of gawkers to have to work
through.

The whole works went down to where only a foot or two of the bow
protruded above the water in less than 5 minutes. There was no
reasonable way for anybody to get aboard to check for anybody in a
cabin or engine room, as that portion of the boat was many feet under
water before any of the boats on the scene reached the vessel. The
Coast Guard said they were "dispatching a unit right away".......and I
guess they did. We saw the Chief Seattle Fire Boat headed over at a
blistering 10-12 knots when we passed West Point. :-(

Irritating footnote: The guy on the sailboat told the CG that he was
"unable to confirm" whether there were people on the boat or not, and
he did mention the skiff tied alongside. The response from the CG
dispatcher? "Do you see any oil or diesel on the water? If so, how
large is the slick? Which direction would any oil or diesel be
drifting?" GRRRRRR.

If there is even a remote chance that there might have been people on
board that boat, (and there was a remote chance) the CG should have
sent a helicopter and a rescue swimmer or diver. I'm not very impressed
with the fire boat responding at "all ahead, standard".

I'll have to watch the news to see if there were any fatalities. I hope
not, and suspect not. I think there was only a very slim chance that
anybody was aboard at all- and they would have to be trapped or passed
out drunk not to scramble up to the foredeck as it was going down.
There were plenty of vessels on hand to pick up any evacuees.

keith_nuttle

"Irritating footnote: ........."

Your comment shows that I am not the only one who has noticed the fact
that the American public is more worried about things than human life.
I don't know how many time there have been multi paragraph news stories
about animal being abuse with a one sentence comment that children being
abused also.

You got to wonder what people are thinking.

wrote:
[...]

Harry Krause

On 9 Apr 2005 21:22:45 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the story. I personnaly have been on dozens and dozens of
rescues, and saved many people. Its a shame some dont kkep their cool,
and ust their head when faced with an emergency.
--
Bush and the NeoConvicts who control him
are destroying the once-great United States.

The Times had an article today as well.

Apparently the unlucky sod had fallen in the previous day, nearly died
of hypothermia before resuce arrived to fish him out, and was in the
hospital when his boat sank. That may explain why the Coast Guard
wasn't as concerned about somebody being aboard as they otherwise might
be- they had rescued the owner the day before and knew he was in the
hospital.

Talk about "born under a bad sign, if it wasn't for bad luck, I
wouldn't have no luck at all......."

The Times article mentioned that the boat owner had recently purchased
the 58-foot fishboat for $1000 (that right there should tell us
something!) and that it had been kicked off of Lake Union because it
couldn't be insured. The owner had tied off to the buoy barge to begin
"fixing leaks."

Did you notice the part about how his method of "fixing leaks" involved

stuffing rags in the holes?

--

********

The moral villain in this two-act tragedy is really the guy who *should
have* scrapped that hulk but sold it, instead, to a starry eyed dreamer
who thought his new, 58-foot, $1000 boat probably only needed a few
cosmetic touches.......(like some rags stuffed into the gaps between
the planks). That $1000 would spend pretty hard if the dreamer had
actually succeeded in killing himself. Begs the question: should there
be a law against selling dangerous old derelicts for anything but
scrap- or should the free market prevail?

MMC

I worked for an environmental company here in FL for a time, and one of our
jobs was salvaging a longline boat that sank pierside. Simple job, bring a
crane out next to the wall, sling straps (diving) around the hull using
trash pumps and lift the boat till the scuppers were clear, then pump the
water out of the hull.
The reason for the Coast Guard (federalized as the owner couldn't pay)
authorizing us to raise the boat was to pump the diesel tanks.
After we were done the Coasties told me to let it sink again, since the USCG
wasn't in the business of salvaging boats! These brain surgeons were from
the CG Marine Science office who runs oil spill clean ups. No, they are not
scientists. The guy in charge looked to be about 19 yo.
I was able to convince the CG that if it did sink again the port would have
to pay to re-salvage the boat and the owner, just a fisherman that barely
got by, would be homeless.
I was "allowed" to let the owner back aboard to rig a bilge pump, charger,
and battery; at no cost to the USCG.
Big of them!
The guy is still on the boat, still just getting by, but taking better care
of his home and business.
MMC