Putt-Putting my time away

Default "Package Deal" OK to break up in used sale?

I'm looking at a used toy. It is a 10 year old Meyers 16' Super Pro
semi-V with an unknown 8 hp Tohatsu short shaft and a small single axle
trailer of unknown brand.
The owner has put navigation lights on, something one could get at
Wal-Mart for $30. The boat an trailer look OK. I was told the tires were
only 3 years old, they looked OK. I figure by NADA this is worth about
$1,300. The motor is worth about $250 assuming it is OK. The seller is
asking $1,700 but has hinted he'd take less. My wife says offer $1,500
for everthing and sell the motor that I don't want. Problem is if it is
a basket case, perhaps it is a $50 motor. If it as OK, that's another
story. My gut feeling is to offer $1,300 without the motor. If you were
the seller, how would you feel? Do you want to be stuck with a decade
old 2 stroke 8 hp? Me, I want to repower with a 9.8 or more likely a 9.9
hp 4 stroke Tohatsu and get another decade out of the boat. I figure the
seller will make the deal he can with me and then sell the motor on it's
own... he's got to understand the motor has little desirability.
Thanks

Greg

It doesn't cost anything to try. The guy may have been thinking the boat was
easier to sell/worth more with the motor on it. A used motor should still be
saleable, easier than a bare boat, so he might knock off a big chunk if he can
sell the motor seprately.
Calif Bill

Put the muffs on the motor and run it. Without a sea trail on the package,
the whole this is a bet. Offer him $1300 and show him a NADA printout. If
he takes it you are better off by $200 than the wifes offer. Can use for
some PFD's and a dinner for the wife. At most he will reject the offer, and
you can up it a $100.
Bill

[...]

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 02:10:18 GMT, Putt-Putting my time away
wrote:

[...]

You can always get rid of the motor and make back some bucks. The
motor is worth a couple hundred - folks around here are always looking
for small motors for kickers, puddle jumpers and what not.

Offer him $1,300 with the motor and go from there. If he offers to
take the motor off, then you've solved your problem. If he takes it,
then you can recoup some money by selling the motor. If he rejects
it, you can still recover the $200 by selling the motor.

You win anyway you look at it.

Good luck.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT

Basic Fishing Program:

10 - Fish
20 - Eat
30 - Sleep
40 - Goto 10

For Sale Truck and Boat Tim General 0 December 17th 03 03:55 AM
OT--Amazing numbers NOYB General 66 December 10th 03 09:30 PM
WETBIKES Deal deal! MUST SELL General 9 July 20th 03 10:37 PM