Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 09:36:22 -0400, "SoFarrell"
wrote:

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
"Billgran" wrote in
:

Go to a library or find a a back issue of the March 2004 Trailer Boats
Magazine. They reported on and lab tested both specialty 4-stroke
outboard oils against ordinary car oils, including Mobil 1. The
results were suprising..

Bill Grannis
service manager

Other than paying off some NMMA bureaucrat for "certification", what's so
special about this wonderful lube oil, Bill?

This scam reminds me of the TC-W3 scams....

What scam?

It's the same as the Metz antenna scam - only different. :)

Later,

Tom

Billgran

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
"Billgran" wrote in
:

Go to a library or find a a back issue of the March 2004 Trailer Boats
Magazine. They reported on and lab tested both specialty 4-stroke
outboard oils against ordinary car oils, including Mobil 1. The
results were suprising..

Bill Grannis
service manager

Other than paying off some NMMA bureaucrat for "certification", what's so
special about this wonderful lube oil, Bill?

This scam reminds me of the TC-W3 scams....

Hey Larry,

Welcome back. It's been quite a while since you've been active here. Hope
everything is OK with your organs, both musical and internal! How are things
up North in Charleston?

You will love the Trailer Boats oil article on the differences between the
expensive special 4-stroke lubes and the "el cheapo" car stuff. It's right
up your alley. Yamaha oil did the worst in the non-scientific rust test,
while Mobil 1 and the semi-synthetic Evinrude oil did the best. Followed by
Pennzoil 10W-30, Sierra, and Merc lubes. For anti-wear additives, once again
Pennzoil came out on top and was named "best buy". That is a $1.29 per quart
oil outperforming most $3.95 and up special lubes.

This oil test was done just before the NMMA 4 stroke specs came about. The
things that concern the motor companies was the lessening of anti-wear
additives in regular car oil due to EPA regs and that car oils do not have
to pass anti-rust, anti-foam, and fuel dilution tests.

The main thing is to change outboard oil often due to the motors environment
and high-speed rpms, compared to a car that loafs along at 2500 rpm @ 70
mph.

Bill Grannis
service manager

Billgran

wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 14:35:41 GMT, "Billgran"
wrote:

Followed by
Pennzoil 10W-30, Sierra, and Merc lubes.

Thanks for the encouragement Bill. I have been using Penzoil on my
2002 60 merc 4s when I don't use the real merc oil. I do change it at
100 hrs, which is about every 3 months for me. 1100 hours and still
running great. I was finding the merc oil was showing a lower oil
pressure around 75 hours then I switched to the Penzoil. It seems
better.

In the article it mentions that Merc recommended their stern drive 25-40 oil
if the temps were above 80 degrees. Suzuki recommended a 20W-50 in hot
weather.

At 212 degrees (100 C), the Merc oil had a slightly higher viscosity than
Pennzoil did, but both were still within specs, so I am surprised that you
had higher oil pressure with Pennzoil.

Bill Grannis
service manager