drkato

Default 1996 9.9 used Evinrude - no clue

OK, I've skippered my big boat for awhile and feel pretty good about my
knowledge on her, but when I boat a used tender that came with this
1996 9.9 Evinrude (my first tender), I realized, I don't know jack
about these things. Like are they 2 or 4 strokers? How do I operate
one? Since it is used, I don't have any manuals, and I can't even find
the model number. So in essence I am wondering if any of you nice folks
out there have either all the answers, or can point me in the
directions for answers. Much obliged for any help. Sorry for being such
a rookie. Oh, by the way, I have searched Google and the internet as
much as I can for info, and I can get an owner's manual, but it will
take a minimum of 3 weeks to get here, and I at least need to know the
model number to order one.

DK

Jim,

Likely 2 stroke -- feed it oil + Gas, change the plug and run it. If no
water comes out change the impeller. Check your local library for a
general service manual on Evinrude -- should help you ID the model

drkato wrote:
OK, I've skippered my big boat for awhile and feel pretty good about my
knowledge on her, but when I boat a used tender that came with this
1996 9.9 Evinrude (my first tender), I realized, I don't know jack
about these things. Like are they 2 or 4 strokers? How do I operate
one? Since it is used, I don't have any manuals, and I can't even find
the model number. So in essence I am wondering if any of you nice folks
out there have either all the answers, or can point me in the
directions for answers. Much obliged for any help. Sorry for being such
a rookie. Oh, by the way, I have searched Google and the internet as
much as I can for info, and I can get an owner's manual, but it will
take a minimum of 3 weeks to get here, and I at least need to know the
model number to order one.

DK

Don White

drkato wrote:
OK, I've skippered my big boat for awhile and feel pretty good about my
knowledge on her, but when I boat a used tender that came with this
1996 9.9 Evinrude (my first tender), I realized, I don't know jack
about these things. Like are they 2 or 4 strokers? How do I operate
one? Since it is used, I don't have any manuals, and I can't even find
the model number. So in essence I am wondering if any of you nice folks
out there have either all the answers, or can point me in the
directions for answers. Much obliged for any help. Sorry for being such
a rookie. Oh, by the way, I have searched Google and the internet as
much as I can for info, and I can get an owner's manual, but it will
take a minimum of 3 weeks to get here, and I at least need to know the
model number to order one.

DK

On my 1986 6hp Evinrude Yachtwin, the model & serial numbers are stamped
on a nameplate attached to the stern bracket.

N.L. Eckert

OK, I've skippered my big boat for awhile and feel pretty good about my
knowledge on her, but when I boat a used tender that came with this 1996
9.9 Evinrude (my first tender), I realized, I don't know jack about
these things. Like are they 2 or 4 strokers? How do I operate one? Since
it is used, I don't have any manuals, and I can't even find the model
number. So in essence I am wondering if any of you nice folks out there
have either all the answers, or can point me in the directions for
answers. Much obliged for any help. Sorry for being such a rookie. Oh,
by the way, I have searched Google and the internet as much as I can for
info, and I can get an owner's manual, but it will take a minimum of 3
weeks to get here, and I at least need to know the model number to order
one.
DK
==================================

I would think that any local Evinrude dealer could tell you if its 2 or
4 stroke as well as anything else you need to know about the engine.

Good luck & happy boating,
Norm

JimH

"drkato" wrote in message
oups.com...
OK, I've skippered my big boat for awhile and feel pretty good about my
knowledge on her, but when I boat a used tender that came with this
1996 9.9 Evinrude (my first tender), I realized, I don't know jack
about these things. Like are they 2 or 4 strokers?

Look at the gas cap...it will give an oil to gas ratio if it is a 2 stroke.
If it has a dipstick in an oil pan it is a 4 stroke.

Most likely it is a 2 stroke.