JimH

Default Admit it.........

So what have you dropped in the water from your boat or dock?

For me....tools, hardware, a boat brush, a fishing rod/reel, cans of wax and
a set of keys.. I was successful retrieving most of the metal items (if
they were worth it) using a large magnet the marina office had, a large fish
net with extension pole (retrieved the keys with that) or a boat hook.

Never lost my cell phone or expensive sunglasses, although I did put a pair
of fairly decent sunglasses on the hardtop of a friends boat and forgot they
were there until we arrived at his dock. Those glasses were never to be
seen again.

How about you? ;-)

BTW: I admit this is fluff, but who the hell cares....it is boating related
and not OT....eh?

Jim Carter

"JimH" wrote in message
So what have you dropped in the water from your boat or dock?

How about you? ;-)

BTW: I admit this is fluff, but who the hell cares....it is boating

related
and not OT....eh?

6 years ago, while in my own slip, my wife dropped her diamond tennis
bracelet off the bow of the boat. she had caught it on the fender holders
and the clasp broke and over the side it went. She immediately started to
cry. I then told her to sit down on the bow and point to where the
bracelet went over the side. I put on my bathing suit and went into the
water wearing my swim goggles and swam out to the bow where she was sitting
and then I went to the bottom of the harbor to see if I could find the
bracelet. I found it on the second dive. My wife was so relieved as the
bracelet was a wedding gift to her from me.

Jim Carter
"The Boat"
Bayfield

Me Again

I had company drop a pair of expensive glasses hoping onto the boat. It was
in the winter so they lost them.

I think the worse thing I dropped overboard is some screws and screwdriver.

One time, I was helping someone work on their sailboat and they dropped a
very expensive brass cog when cleaning and repacking the wench. I borrowed
a tank to look for it, it was hell finding it because of the deep layer of
slit. I finally found it under a pile of rocks. It landed on the rocks and
then slide in between them.

There are some firemen at our lake who will dive for lost articles for a
minimum cost of $100.

"JimH" wrote in message
So what have you dropped in the water from your boat or dock?

For me....tools, hardware, a boat brush, a fishing rod/reel, cans of wax
and a set of keys.. I was successful retrieving most of the metal items
(if they were worth it) using a large magnet the marina office had, a
large fish net with extension pole (retrieved the keys with that) or a
boat hook.

Never lost my cell phone or expensive sunglasses, although I did put a
pair of fairly decent sunglasses on the hardtop of a friends boat and
forgot they were there until we arrived at his dock. Those glasses were
never to be seen again.

How about you? ;-)

BTW: I admit this is fluff, but who the hell cares....it is boating
related and not OT....eh?

Dan Krueger

Class ring is about it for me. I was dumb enough to jump into a lake
once wearing my pager (remember those?). It survived with a new battery
and plenty of time to air dry.

Dan

JimH wrote:

So what have you dropped in the water from your boat or dock?

For me....tools, hardware, a boat brush, a fishing rod/reel, cans of wax and
a set of keys.. I was successful retrieving most of the metal items (if
they were worth it) using a large magnet the marina office had, a large fish
net with extension pole (retrieved the keys with that) or a boat hook.

Never lost my cell phone or expensive sunglasses, although I did put a pair
of fairly decent sunglasses on the hardtop of a friends boat and forgot they
were there until we arrived at his dock. Those glasses were never to be
seen again.

How about you? ;-)

BTW: I admit this is fluff, but who the hell cares....it is boating related
and not OT....eh?

Jim,

JimH wrote:

So what have you dropped in the water from your boat or dock?

For me....tools, hardware, a boat brush, a fishing rod/reel, cans of
wax and a set of keys.. I was successful retrieving most of the metal
items (if they were worth it) using a large magnet the marina office
had, a large fish net with extension pole (retrieved the keys with
that) or a boat hook.

Never lost my cell phone or expensive sunglasses, although I did put a
pair of fairly decent sunglasses on the hardtop of a friends boat and
forgot they were there until we arrived at his dock. Those glasses
were never to be seen again.

How about you? ;-)

BTW: I admit this is fluff, but who the hell cares....it is boating
related and not OT....eh?

Lots of tools, screws and even a camera.

Be nice if the god Neptune would allow us to sacrifice some amount of
stuff at the beginning of the season, then let us be for the rest.

I envision some sort of ceremony where some percentage of the boats
value is tossed over the side with appropriate chants, drinking of wine,
and general hoopla. Then we would be safe for the rest of the season.

UglyDan®©™

Wife dropped the cell phone in, but it wasn't worth diving for of
course.
Once after returning from vacation my dock neighbor approached with a
gummy expression on his face, Turns out he sneezed and blew his dentures
overboard the day before, put the dive gear on and found them, took
awhile though. no charge, but I found a bottle of Myer's rum laying on
my deck the next morning. UD

Dan Krueger

Good topic but we may as well add what people have "caught". I have
heard of the bales of drugs in the ocean and a duffle bag of cash ($80K)
even made the news a few years ago.

I caught a cheap 35 mm camera. It was in terrible shape. A friend of
mine fought a 24 oz hammer for a good 2 minutes on 6lb test on the
Mississippi once.

Dan

UglyDan®©™ wrote:

Wife dropped the cell phone in, but it wasn't worth diving for of
course.
Once after returning from vacation my dock neighbor approached with a
gummy expression on his face, Turns out he sneezed and blew his dentures
overboard the day before, put the dive gear on and found them, took
awhile though. no charge, but I found a bottle of Myer's rum laying on
my deck the next morning. UD

JimH

"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
ink.net...
Good topic but we may as well add what people have "caught". I have heard
of the bales of drugs in the ocean and a duffle bag of cash ($80K) even
made the news a few years ago.

I caught a cheap 35 mm camera. It was in terrible shape. A friend of
mine fought a 24 oz hammer for a good 2 minutes on 6lb test on the
Mississippi once.

Dan

UglyDan®©™ wrote:

Never caught anything to that extreme.

Great suggestion....let's go for it...

What have you dropped and what have you caught....

Jim Donohue

"JimH" wrote in message
So what have you dropped in the water from your boat or dock?

For me....tools, hardware, a boat brush, a fishing rod/reel, cans of wax
and a set of keys.. I was successful retrieving most of the metal items
(if they were worth it) using a large magnet the marina office had, a
large fish net with extension pole (retrieved the keys with that) or a
boat hook.

Never lost my cell phone or expensive sunglasses, although I did put a
pair of fairly decent sunglasses on the hardtop of a friends boat and
forgot they were there until we arrived at his dock. Those glasses were
never to be seen again.

How about you? ;-)

BTW: I admit this is fluff, but who the hell cares....it is boating
related and not OT....eh?

Let me see...well to start me...four times I think. Recovered every time.
Once well dressed in front of 100 people.

My dog...has hit the drink at least 7 or 8 times. 3 times when it was a
pain. Came up out of the cockpit to bark someone up and would trip himself
on the last step...splash. Also could not judge distance to the dock coming
in for the morning walk Had an 8 foot range on a good day but would try
from 15. Dog was also recovered every time.

Cell phone 40 miles off the coast of Oregon while moving a boat to San
Francisco.

Nice watch...Caught it on a cabin fitting and it flipped right off into the
drink.

Wallet..fell out docking a dinghy in Avalon on Catalina. Returned by a
tourist who found it floating in the surf.

Wife (than SO) Slipped climbing on board. Challenging rescue.

Content of wife's purse. When she went into the drink so did everything in
her purse. Got all the floaters quick. Dove the next morning and recovered
glasses and some cosmetics including some she swore not hers. Recovered
1941 50 calibre round from the muck.

Shopping carts filled with supplies twice. Once in Newport Harbor..Once in
Long Beach. Long Beach involved really hard effort to recover package of
clams that were attempting to escape during the confusion. Caught them 50
yards down channel barely floating.

Eyeglass lense. Got whacked by wife's elbow. Lens popped out and went into
drink. Saw it go and dived after it. Caught it at about 6 or 7 feet.

Boat hooks, Lost at least two and recovered four or five.

Dish clothes, swim suits, shoes, swimming masks and other miscellaneous
items. Use to dive under the boat before leaving Catalina. Found something
of ours half the time. Actually better it sunk. Floating stuff would get
away.

Was in a party that lost 5 or 6 paving blocks into the surf on Catalina.
Dove and recovered them. It takes a lot of doing to get paving blocks to an
isolated cove on Catalina.

Also lost three spare airs over the years...but that was while diving not
from the boat.

Jim Donohue