Calif Bill

"JimH" wrote in message

"SoFarrell" wrote in message
news:1112533058.e03e077ee05b93a2e6a153ff6cdd29f7@t eranews...
For live bait fishing, what's your pref? Open or spinning reels? Why?

I use spinning reels for all my freshwater fishing and used a conventional
open reel while on a charter boat several years back while in Miami. Open
reels were also the only reels we had as kids.

I still prefer the spinning reel.

The open reel is definitely more prone to tangles and backlash if you

don't
know how to use it. I don't know about any advantages it has over the
spinning reel.

Depends on the species / bait size. I fish for Yellow Tail and small tuna
out of San Diego and for the bigger fish and baits I use a Calcutta 401 ( I
like left handed reels) and a Shimano Bait Runner 2500 for the smaller
pinhead anchovies when I need to get them further from the boat. For live
bait fishing salmon in my home area of San Francisco I use open reels as our
anchovies are larger.

-rick-

SoFarrell wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote

I use both for inshore and close offshore fishing. Penn spinning reels and
a couple of Shimano 251 open reels. For trolling these days, I use Shimano
charter specials, because I prefer the lever drag. I've got em all spooled
up with the proper weights of Berkley Fireline. When I have "rarely fish"
guests aboard, they prefer the spinning reels.

I use the shimano 250 You are left handed!

I use left handed reels although I'm right handed because it eliminates
changing hands after casting and puts the rod is in the dominant arm for
hook sets and long battles.

-rick-

SoFarrell

SoFarrell wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote

I use both for inshore and close offshore fishing. Penn spinning reels
and
a couple of Shimano 251 open reels. For trolling these days, I use
Shimano
charter specials, because I prefer the lever drag. I've got em all
spooled
up with the proper weights of Berkley Fireline. When I have "rarely
fish"
guests aboard, they prefer the spinning reels.

I use the shimano 250 You are left handed!

I use left handed reels although I'm right handed because it eliminates
changing hands after casting and puts the rod is in the dominant arm for
hook sets and long battles.

?

Later,

Tom

That's too much thinking for me. (just kidding).

SoFarrell

"-rick-" wrote in message
SoFarrell wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote

I use both for inshore and close offshore fishing. Penn spinning reels
and a couple of Shimano 251 open reels. For trolling these days, I use
Shimano charter specials, because I prefer the lever drag. I've got em
all spooled up with the proper weights of Berkley Fireline. When I have
"rarely fish" guests aboard, they prefer the spinning reels.

I use the shimano 250 You are left handed!

I use left handed reels although I'm right handed because it eliminates
changing hands after casting and puts the rod is in the dominant arm for
hook sets and long battles.

-rick-

Whoops I accused shortwave of confused me, but it was you!!!!!!!

Must be because I just got up.

-rick-

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 21:40:19 -0700, -rick- wrote:

I use left handed reels although I'm right handed because it eliminates
changing hands after casting and puts the rod is in the dominant arm for
hook sets and long battles.

?

Later,

Tom

The rod stays in the right hand.
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:57:49 -0700, -rick- wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 21:40:19 -0700, -rick- wrote:

I use left handed reels although I'm right handed because it eliminates
changing hands after casting and puts the rod is in the dominant arm for
hook sets and long battles.

?

The rod stays in the right hand.

Yeah. That's a right handed reel. A left handed reel would put the
cranking handle on the right side of the reel.

Later,

Tom

Calif Bill

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:57:49 -0700, -rick- wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 21:40:19 -0700, -rick- wrote:

I use left handed reels although I'm right handed because it eliminates
changing hands after casting and puts the rod is in the dominant arm

for
hook sets and long battles.

?

The rod stays in the right hand.

Yeah. That's a right handed reel. A left handed reel would put the
cranking handle on the right side of the reel.

Later,

Tom

Not the way the manufacturers figure it.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 18:29:21 GMT, "Calif Bill"

.. .
On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:57:49 -0700, -rick- wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 21:40:19 -0700, -rick- wrote:

I use left handed reels although I'm right handed because it eliminates
changing hands after casting and puts the rod is in the dominant arm

for
hook sets and long battles.

?

The rod stays in the right hand.

Yeah. That's a right handed reel. A left handed reel would put the
cranking handle on the right side of the reel.

Not the way the manufacturers figure it.

They do for spinning reels. I don't think I've ever seen a spinning
reel packaged for lefties. You can reverse the crank easily enough
though.

Now bait casting reels - that's a whole different ball game. :)

Later,

Tom
-rick-

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:57:49 -0700, -rick- wrote:

The rod stays in the right hand.

Yeah. That's a right handed reel. A left handed reel would put the
cranking handle on the right side of the reel.

That's true for spinning reels, not for level wind baitcasters.

-rick-

Update on Marina Damage -- FL Coasts anchorlt Cruising 0 September 24th 04 08:03 PM
Boat Show/ Open House Kevin General 0 April 16th 04 07:12 AM
Actually an open mind about Harry Potter is also an open mind about evolution. Bertie the Bunyip ASA 0 September 9th 03 01:53 PM
Loch Lyon /Loch Ericht Fergie UK Paddle 5 September 7th 03 09:49 PM