thunder

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 11:10:10 -0400, JimH wrote:

The open reel is definitely more prone to tangles and backlash if you
don't know how to use it. I don't know about any advantages it has over
the spinning reel.

I think they both have their place, but I can think of a couple advantages
to an open face. Probably most important is lack of line twist, followed
by, potentially, added casting distance. AFAIK, all long distance casting
records were using open faced casting reels. Additionally, although
modern spinning reals have improved dramatically, open faced drags still
seem the smoothest, at least to me. Then there is the the additional
cranking power, if needed.