Charles T. Low

Default B-W Velvet Drive clunking

John,

That's completely counter-intuitive. Can you elaborate?

Thanks.

====

Charles T. Low
- remove "UN"
www.boatdocking.com/BDPhoto.html - Photo Contest
www.boatdocking.com
www.ctlow.ca/Trojan26 - my boat

====

"John" wrote in message
om...
It's your low idle speed that's causing the noise, BW's make noise at
low RPM's. Your idle should be up around 700 to 750 RPM's. Your
hearing either back lash, or the clutch pack. Crank the idle back up
where it belongs before you really damage the gears.

John

"John" wrote in message
om...
It's your low idle speed that's causing the noise, BW's make noise at
low RPM's. Your idle should be up around 700 to 750 RPM's. Your
hearing either back lash, or the clutch pack. Crank the idle back up
where it belongs before you really damage the gears.

I had an old boat that one engine was not running on all the
cylinders, turned out to be a distributer cap problem. Well the BW
transmission started making clunking noises, it went away if I
increased the throttle. When I replaced the cap it disappeared for
good. I spoke to a boat transmission shop guy that indicated that low
RPM's can cause noise due to insuffeciant fluid flow to the clutch
pack, causing engaugement problems, or, because of how engine RPM's
tend to be very unstable at very low engine speed (put a timing light
on it to see just how bad they can get) this causes noise due to the
backlash in the transmission gears.

stern drive conversion -OMC to Merc... rock_doctor General 6 November 11th 03 11:52 PM
Storing boat with drive up? werlax General 6 November 5th 03 03:35 AM
Trimming the drive Joe Parsons General 9 September 9th 03 10:51 AM
losing oil stern drive carson General 1 August 20th 03 11:11 PM
Velvet Drive Slipping Keith General 0 August 4th 03 02:23 PM