Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Charles T. Low

Default B-W Velvet Drive clunking

I've had my 1978 Trojan 26 for three seasons now, and can't for the life of
me decide for sure whether the transmission has always done this or not. My
mechanic thinks it's OK. The AT lubricant is full and looks crystal clear to
the naked eye, and I do change it (rarely). It's a Borg-Warner Velvet Drive,
original with the boat, to my knowledge.

When put into gear, there is a slight pause, a fraction of a second only,
but easily visible that the prop tranny/shaft does not start turning
immediately - then it catches and away it goes. (Idling just above 600 rpm
indicated.) It does so with a very soft audible clunk, and I seem to
remember it being noiseless when "new" (to me).

I have shifted it into gear at above idle speed, very infrequently, count on
one hand, etc., because I'm kind of clumsy. Other than that, I can't think
of anything that might be considered abusive.

It is still so much smoother than the Bravo II I/O I used to own, which
itself was so much smoother than the Alpha 1 before that. Passengers have
never noticed or commented - it's quite a subtle clunk. I think I may just
be listening too hard.

What is normal behaviour for these transmissions? Thanks.

====

Charles T. Low
- remove "UN"
www.boatdocking.com/BDPhoto.html - Photo Contest
www.boatdocking.com
www.ctlow.ca/Trojan26 - my boat

====

stern drive conversion -OMC to Merc... rock_doctor General 6 November 11th 03 11:52 PM
Storing boat with drive up? werlax General 6 November 5th 03 03:35 AM
Trimming the drive Joe Parsons General 9 September 9th 03 10:51 AM
losing oil stern drive carson General 1 August 20th 03 11:11 PM
Velvet Drive Slipping Keith General 0 August 4th 03 02:23 PM