Joe Blizzard

Default U-joint inspection

I've begun the bellows replacement on my Merc 165 / R-drive. This unit has
low hours, but it's 27 years old and doesn't appear to have had much
maintenance before I got it two years ago. I'm pretty sure this is the first
time the drive has been off since it was put on in 1977. Anyway, when I got
the drive off, I found an ounce or two of watery grease (or maybe it was
greasy water) in the bottom of the u-joint bellows and the u-joint yokes
have some surface rust on them. Should I be concerned about the condition of
the joints? The u-joints move freely, the seals are intact, and I didn't
have any symptoms like noise or vibration.

Lawrence James

Check for play by twisting. As long as they do not have any play then I'd
grease them up and go. You can also check the gimbal bearing inside the
drive housing while you have the drive out. Most people replace both
bellows and the one on the shift cable at the same time. They usually are
in about the same condition. It's not a pleasant job though. There are
some special tools that help. Did you check the raw water pump too? Now's
the time to replace it if it's marginal.

"Joe Blizzard" wrote in message
I've begun the bellows replacement on my Merc 165 / R-drive. This unit has
low hours, but it's 27 years old and doesn't appear to have had much
maintenance before I got it two years ago. I'm pretty sure this is the

first
time the drive has been off since it was put on in 1977. Anyway, when I

got
the drive off, I found an ounce or two of watery grease (or maybe it was
greasy water) in the bottom of the u-joint bellows and the u-joint yokes
have some surface rust on them. Should I be concerned about the condition

of
the joints? The u-joints move freely, the seals are intact, and I didn't
have any symptoms like noise or vibration.

megabite

No Brainer, mmmmmmmmm lets see, you've got all the real hard work done.
Their is evidence that that U-Joint may be questionable, Preventive
maintenence is always a smart strategy especially with watercraft. Taking
the wife or loved ones out on it are ya? what do you think you should do?
BTW, DO NOT install an automotive U-Joint.

"Joe Blizzard" wrote in message
I've begun the bellows replacement on my Merc 165 / R-drive. This unit has
low hours, but it's 27 years old and doesn't appear to have had much
maintenance before I got it two years ago. I'm pretty sure this is the

first
time the drive has been off since it was put on in 1977. Anyway, when I

got
the drive off, I found an ounce or two of watery grease (or maybe it was
greasy water) in the bottom of the u-joint bellows and the u-joint yokes
have some surface rust on them. Should I be concerned about the condition

of
the joints? The u-joints move freely, the seals are intact, and I didn't
have any symptoms like noise or vibration.

Tan PS

I just completed what you are doing. In my case its a 1991 unit and seemed
to have maintenance. Following are what I ended up replacing:

1. All the bellows, the shift cable and exhaust were damaged. Changed
the U-joint bellow since it was already out, didn't want to revisit that as
it will mean taking out the exhaust bellow again. The recommended tool for
the exhaust bellow needs the shiftshaft to be removed, can be avoided if you
split the tool and use one arm only.
2. There was some oil in bellow and surface rust on yokes. Possible
water ingress at some point in its life. Opened up the upper drive to be
sure, oil seal was leaking and the yoke was rusty causing the seal damage.
Yoke replaced.
3. Since drive was stripped, the bearings had some pitting, replaced all
4.
4. U-joints checked. They did not make any noises when running. Wear
ridges can be seen on the bearing face. Both replaced.
5. Shiftshaft seal was in poor state, replace it with new bushing kit
which uses double seals. Need tool to do this. Unless your had been
removed recently, likely you'll have to break the shift lever.
6. Took opportunity to replace the shift cable. Likely to be stucked,
mine was. Made tool by welding a pipe to a 9/16 x 3/8 drive socket to
create a 4 inch deep socket. Finally drilled the brass end out. Cable must
come out if you intend to change the bellow, other option is removing the
bell housing (need tool), this disturbs the water hose, understand this is
very difficult to install.

Good luck.

Tan PS

"Joe Blizzard" wrote in message
I've begun the bellows replacement on my Merc 165 / R-drive. This unit has
low hours, but it's 27 years old and doesn't appear to have had much
maintenance before I got it two years ago. I'm pretty sure this is the

first
time the drive has been off since it was put on in 1977. Anyway, when I

got
the drive off, I found an ounce or two of watery grease (or maybe it was
greasy water) in the bottom of the u-joint bellows and the u-joint yokes
have some surface rust on them. Should I be concerned about the condition

of
the joints? The u-joints move freely, the seals are intact, and I didn't
have any symptoms like noise or vibration.

Joe Blizzard

"Lawrence James" wrote
Check for play by twisting. As long as they do not
have any play then I'd grease them up and go.

That was my initial feeling. They appear fine other than a little rust on
the outside. (The u-joints on my truck have been performing fine for years
with rust all over them.) It appears I'm going to need to scare up some kind
of close quarters grease gun adapter to grease them without disassembling.

You can also check the gimbal bearing inside
the drive housing while you have the drive out.

My gimbal bearing looks good so far. It had a lot of grease on the outside
and after wiping that away it looks shiny and newish. I'll get a better look
and feel in a few days when I finish removing the bellows.

Most people replace both bellows and the one on the shift cable at the

same time.

That's my plan. I'm also replacing the shift cable, water hose, and trim
senders.

Did you check the raw water pump too?

I'll be rebuilding the pump as well. I replaced the impeller two years ago
when I got the boat, so I figure it's due again.

Joe Blizzard

"megabite" wrote
Preventive maintenence is always a
smart strategy especially with watercraft.

You're probably right that a prudent man would replace anything that's
remotely questionable, but there's a point of diminishing returns to
consider. Everything in my propulsion system is questionable to a certain
degree, if you know what I mean. I don't want to bother with the expense and
hassle of replacing a part that's likely to last as long as the rest of the
unit.

Taking the wife or loved ones out on it are ya?

Yes, but on the river where I operate I can't get more than about 100 yards
from shore and I seldom get more than a few miles from home. A mechanical
breakdown for me would be a nuisance, but very unlikely to become life
threatening.

gimbal bearing or universal joint failure? doug General 2 February 11th 04 04:00 PM
Coast Guard Auxiliary and Homeland Security Capt Lou General 88 January 18th 04 11:31 PM
joint venture Florida Keyz General 0 January 10th 04 04:24 AM
OT--new candidate NOYB General 114 September 19th 03 07:26 PM