EH Townsend

Default what is fiberform

can anyone tell me what fiberform made their boats out of? is
fiberform a mixture of wood and fiberglass? I am talking to someone
that has a 77 28' cabin cruiser (fiberform) that told me he isnt sure
of the material its made of. I did a deja.com search ab out fiberform
but it seems the actual construction material isnt discussed. thanks
in advance for any help
Lloyd Sumpter

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 17:00:12 +0000, EH Townsend wrote:

can anyone tell me what fiberform made their boats out of? is fiberform a
mixture of wood and fiberglass? I am talking to someone that has a 77 28' cabin
cruiser (fiberform) that told me he isnt sure of the material its made of. I did
a deja.com search ab out fiberform but it seems the actual construction material
isnt discussed. thanks in advance for any help

Well, around here, "Fibreform" is a brand-name for a line of pretty indestructible
fibreglass boats. Made just like any other fg boat (Hourston, Double-eagle,
Campion...) but heavier and stronger. The company hasn't been around for years,
but the used market is full of them - some 25-30 yrs old and still going strong.

http://www.buysell.com/showad.asp?id=25846230

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Paul Winchester

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
[...]

I am currently restoring a 1978 28' and it is constructed mainly of
fiberglass with typical areas reinfored with plywood, even the plywood is
coated with resin. The hull on my boat is approximately 3/4" solid
fiberglass, no core material.

I think the boats were originally made in the NW, I have been told that 79
was the last year before the company was bought by Bayliner.

RG

"EH Townsend" wrote in message
om...
can anyone tell me what fiberform made their boats out of? is
fiberform a mixture of wood and fiberglass? I am talking to someone
that has a 77 28' cabin cruiser (fiberform) that told me he isnt sure
of the material its made of. I did a deja.com search ab out fiberform
but it seems the actual construction material isnt discussed. thanks
in advance for any help

Fiberform was simply the brand name, and was not indicative of the
manufacturing material. The boats were of traditional fiberglass
construction. My folks owned a new mid-70's 28 foot sedan cruiser with the
large flybridge that I had full access to in those days. The boat was
clearly a price point boat. Meaning that it was a whole lot of boat for the
money, but attention to detail and high quality construction was not part of
the mix. Comparable to a Bayliner. Ours was rigged with dual stations,
controlling twin 351 Fords driving Volvo outdrives. Probably due to its
lightweight construction, it hauled ass quite well for its size. Probably
put 500 hours on that boat covering every square inch of Lake Mead during
1974-1976. Fun times.

Larry Hill

I just bought a 26.5ft 1978 Fiberform and it is Fiberglass hull with fiberglass
over wood for forms like stringers and bulkheads.
Larry Hill

EH Townsend

thanks for everyone's help. I didnt think a cabin cruiser made in the
late 70s would be wood, or wood composite, but couldnt believe the
owner didnt really know what it was made of.
RichG

Also check www.fiberglassics.com

I saw Fiberform on their list of boats that they follow. RichG

Drycleaner

I have a 26 Fiberform fly bridge for sale mint condition. e-mail me.