Harry Krause

Default OT - Are we safer? Go figure....

John H wrote:

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 14:19:49 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

I never like numerical algebra much, but I sure liked geometry. I have
no idea why. A couple of years ago, I picked up a couple of books on
boolean algebra, which is really philosophy, I suppose.

Hee, hee.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

What are you laughing at? The aspects of boolean alegbra that interested
me had to with logic, and that is its connection to philosophy. I'm not
saying that the algebra taught in high schools is separate from logic;
obviously it is not.

--
Email sent to is never read.
Doug Kanter

It's even more fun when Grandma is a 35 year veteran of the same
school system, Teacher's Union President and current sitting member of
the Board of Ed. ;)

Yeah....grandma probably knows exactly who's the dead wood, and who's alive
from the neck up. :-)

Of course, it works the other way around too - those poor grandkids
can't get away with anything. :)

Right! My son's girlfriend loves spending time with grandma each week.
Granny looks over all the past week's homework and makes her sit through an
hour's worth of commentary and questions before the cookie jar is unlocked.

Doug Kanter

"John H" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 18:38:36 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Does John actually teach? I know he's mentioned he subs in the
Alexandria school system, but my recollection is that he has posted

that
he mainly babysits high school kids, and doesn't teach. Or was it that
he tries to teach some math classes if he is assigned one, but doesn't
try to teach if he is assigned to a non-math class.

I have no idea. Is John lying? Do we need an independent inquiry? :-)

When I'm subbing math, I teach the lesson planned for the day. When
subbing other subjects, I don't teach unless it happens to be a lesson
with which I'm familiar.

Normally I coordinate with teachers beforehand to determine what I'm
going to do. I want more movies!

John H

If they're 8th grade or higher, get the movie "A Bronx Tale". Loaded with
the F-word, but the story (and the lesson of the story) are pretty terrific.

Doug Kanter

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Does John actually teach? I know he's mentioned he subs in the
Alexandria school system, but my recollection is that he has posted

that
he mainly babysits high school kids, and doesn't teach. Or was it

that
he tries to teach some math classes if he is assigned one, but

doesn't
try to teach if he is assigned to a non-math class.

I have no idea. Is John lying? Do we need an independent inquiry? :-)

I'm not sure anything about John passes the WGAS test.

Oh come on....he's way better than NOYB. Think of it this way (a

strawman -
get ready): Let's say all four of us were at the seaquarium in

Baltimore,
drunk as skunks, and you wanted my help throwing either JohnH or NOYB

into a
tank full of sharks, just for grins. You can only pick one: Which would

you
feed to the sharks?

Ahhh. This is sort of a Hobson's choice, eh?

I'm pretty much convinced I'd have a great time out fishing with NOYBby,
and even arguing politics with him without either of us taking it so
seriously that we'd sink to John's level. Besides, NOYBby is pretty much
without pretense in his beliefs, and repugnant as I find many of those
beliefs, I think he is intellectually honest about his thoughts and
feelings. And, of course, NOYBby is young and there is hope he'll see
some light.

Ker-ripes...did I just write that?

Yeah. I'd toss John to the sharks. He seems to have fewer and fewer
redeeming qualities.

Are we talking about the same people? I'd hurl NOYB into the tank. Not only
that, I'd even tie nice napkins around the sharks' necks first, and provide
elegant, floating candles for the meal.

If Dave Hall was with us, I'd offer him as an appetizer. He's kind of a
lightweight. :-)

Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 09:37:23 -0500, John H
wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

If algebra isn't a terrorist plot, I don't know what is.

I can introduce you to some eighth grade math students who would
heartily agree with you. ;)

I never like numerical algebra much, but I sure liked geometry. I have
no idea why. A couple of years ago, I picked up a couple of books on
boolean algebra, which is really philosophy, I suppose.

Yes and no. Boolean algebra is AND/OR set theory - how you extend
this set theory can become a philosophy, but the binary mathematics is
real.

Kind of like an arithmetical calculus if you will.

Geometry is much simpler to understand than the concepts of
distributive properties (algebra) because they can be demonstrated in
the real world using real world examples.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

"I thought I'd just go fishin', but the fish
were not amused. And I caught myself just
wishin' that I was in the fishes shoes. Just
swimmin' in some deep blue water not a care
in my head, watchin' some fool with a line
and a pole hidin' by the riverbed."

Joe Ely, "Back To My Old Molehill" - "Flatlanders,
Wheels of Fortune - 2004"

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:31:31 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

.. .

It's even more fun when Grandma is a 35 year veteran of the same
school system, Teacher's Union President and current sitting member of
the Board of Ed. ;)

Yeah....grandma probably knows exactly who's the dead wood, and who's alive
from the neck up. :-)

Of course, it works the other way around too - those poor grandkids
can't get away with anything. :)

Right! My son's girlfriend loves spending time with grandma each week.
Granny looks over all the past week's homework and makes her sit through an
hour's worth of commentary and questions before the cookie jar is unlocked.

Damn straight. They tow the line during after school hours around
here. I've been told by reliable sources that they consider their
after school time at my house "jail".

When was the last time you ever heard of a jail serving up double
chocolate brownies with vanilla ice cream when the homework was
completed, checked and officially approved? :)

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

"I thought I'd just go fishin', but the fish
were not amused. And I caught myself just
wishin' that I was in the fishes shoes. Just
swimmin' in some deep blue water not a care
in my head, watchin' some fool with a line
and a pole hidin' by the riverbed."

Joe Ely, "Back To My Old Molehill" - "Flatlanders,
Wheels of Fortune - 2004"

Doug Kanter

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:31:31 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Short Wave Sportfishing" wrote in

message
.. .

[...]

Hmmm. They've got you trained, too, sounds like. Mine get frozen strawberry
smoothies, made only with frozen berries, ice cubes, a banana and some OJ.
Gets expensive, but it gets results.

Harry Krause

wrote:

[...]

Tnanks, Tom. That's probably it.

--
Email sent to is never read.
Don White

Say what?
Who taught the course...Army personnel? No wonder you flunked.
Up here that would be considered a payable (liability).

John H wrote in message
Accounting?

Hee, hee! Yup. I took only one course. That was enough. I could never
figure out how if you owed someone money that was an asset. I thought
the whole course was backwards.