jay

Default How many feet for a nantucket voyage?

I am interesting in checking out the lower half of the Ct River, and out
towards Nantucket/The Vineyard.. I have no plans to try this on the 18' I
have now, but what would anyone recommend for a good "sea worthy" size for a
boat to stand up to the chop?
Right now I'm looking at upgrading to a Sea Ray sun Deck (260 horse, 24 ft.,
50gal gas tank) thinking that that might be something that can be used
around the Islands/The Cape...

-j

jchaplain

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 22:01:07 -0500, "jay" wrote:

I am interesting in checking out the lower half of the Ct River, and out
towards Nantucket/The Vineyard.. I have no plans to try this on the 18' I
have now, but what would anyone recommend for a good "sea worthy" size for a
boat to stand up to the chop?
Right now I'm looking at upgrading to a Sea Ray sun Deck (260 horse, 24 ft.,
50gal gas tank) thinking that that might be something that can be used
around the Islands/The Cape...

-j

You can make the crossing to the Vineyard on an 18 or 19 foot boat
without a problem assuming calm waters, it's only about a mile or 3
depending on where you cross. I used to do it all the time on my 19
footer.
Nantucket is a bit further, but it all depends. On a calm day you
could do it in a 19 foot boat, but common sense would dictate
at least a 22 or 24 foot seaworthy boat for that trek. IMO.
I boat there all the time in my 24 footer ( Vineyard and Nantucket
sound,) and there are days when I won't go out at all, it all depends
on weather and waves that day.
John C.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 22:01:07 -0500, "jay" wrote:

I am interesting in checking out the lower half of the Ct River, and out
towards Nantucket/The Vineyard.. I have no plans to try this on the 18' I
have now, but what would anyone recommend for a good "sea worthy" size for a
boat to stand up to the chop?
Right now I'm looking at upgrading to a Sea Ray sun Deck (260 horse, 24 ft.,
50gal gas tank) thinking that that might be something that can be used
around the Islands/The Cape...

There is a terrific state launch ramp right off of I-95 in old
Saybrook which will give you easy access to most of LIS and outward to
the Vineyard, Block, etc. The lower end of the CT River is a fun
place to run, but take a chart and get used to the various
regulations, etc. Also be aware that the DEP HQ is right on the River
in Old Lyme and they just LOVE to write tickets, so make sure you have
all the life jackets, registration and that your safety equipment is
up to snuff. They hit me up last year for an expired fire
extinguisher which was original equipment on the boat and located IN
the Center Console. It didn't matter that I had two other good
bottles and a supression system for the outboards - one bad bottle and
I got fined. ~~ mutter ~~

For me, the minimum for running out to Block and others is 24 feet and
it should be a good day. The boat you are considering is ok for that
purpose. Like John said, keep you eye out for weather, make sure you
have radios and your equipment in shape and you should be fine.

Most important, is to get a chart for the River to avoid embarrassment
from running right up on a sand bar. Sea Tow makes a ton of money off
of the bar at the end of the River right before Old Saybrook
Light/Breakwater. :)

You can get a visual check of the end of the River during the summer
by using this link.

http://seatowct.com/livecam.html

Good luck.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
"...the tyrannical fascination which angling
holds for all those who have been once initiated
into its mysteries." Rafael Sabatini (1925)
jchaplain

regulations, etc. Also be aware that the DEP HQ is right on the River
in Old Lyme and they just LOVE to write tickets, so make sure you have
all the life jackets, registration and that your safety equipment is
up to snuff. They hit me up last year for an expired fire
extinguisher which was original equipment on the boat and located IN
the Center Console. It didn't matter that I had two other good
bottles and a supression system for the outboards - one bad bottle and
I got fined. ~~ mutter ~~

Is this standard for the DEP to be able to issue fines for safety
reasons? I never heard of that. I thought their job was to protect the
environment and it was up to the coast guard to enforce boating safety
regulations. Does the DEP have a right to board you without cause? and
in doing so they have a right to examine your boat?

John C.
Wayne.B

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 22:01:07 -0500, "jay" wrote:
I am interesting in checking out the lower half of the Ct River, and out
towards Nantucket/The Vineyard.. I have no plans to try this on the 18' I
have now, but what would anyone recommend for a good "sea worthy" size for a
boat to stand up to the chop?
Right now I'm looking at upgrading to a Sea Ray sun Deck (260 horse, 24 ft.,
50gal gas tank) thinking that that might be something that can be used
around the Islands/The Cape...

==================================

I have been to the Vineyard in my 24 foot I/O cuddy and would not
hesitate to go again as long as the weather is favorable and stable.

This is not a trip for the inexperienced however. There are some
areas of strong tide rips and current which can be very nasty for a 24
under certain conditions. The islands are also prone to sudden, thick
fog which can seem to come out of nowhere, even on a bright sunny day.
Last but not least, a summer thunder squall can put you into very
hazardous conditions in no time at all.

Go, but be careful, and be well prepared. Try a few trips out to
Block Island first just to get your feet wet.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 00:38:48 GMT, jchaplain wrote:

regulations, etc. Also be aware that the DEP HQ is right on the River
in Old Lyme and they just LOVE to write tickets, so make sure you have
all the life jackets, registration and that your safety equipment is
up to snuff. They hit me up last year for an expired fire
extinguisher which was original equipment on the boat and located IN
the Center Console. It didn't matter that I had two other good
bottles and a supression system for the outboards - one bad bottle and
I got fined. ~~ mutter ~~

Is this standard for the DEP to be able to issue fines for safety
reasons? I never heard of that. I thought their job was to protect the
environment and it was up to the coast guard to enforce boating safety
regulations. Does the DEP have a right to board you without cause? and
in doing so they have a right to examine your boat?

Yes.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
"...the tyrannical fascination which angling
holds for all those who have been once initiated
into its mysteries." Rafael Sabatini (1925)
Capt Lou

In Massachusetts, the Environmental Police have the same powers as the state
police. In fact, the Environmental Police are state police and can even give
speeding tickets on the highway.

They do not have the right to stop anyone or any vehicle without probable
cause. Only the Coast Guard or U.S. Customs can stop a vessel without probable
cause.

"Listen to the live broadcast of 'Nautical Talk Radio' with Captain Lou every
Sunday afternoon from 4 - 5 (Eastern Standard Time) on the web at
www.959watd.com or if you are in Boston or Cape Cod set your radio dial to
95.9FM.
Short Wave Sportfishing

On 03 Feb 2004 14:34:24 GMT, (Capt Lou) wrote:

In Massachusetts, the Environmental Police have the same powers as the state
police. In fact, the Environmental Police are state police and can even give
speeding tickets on the highway.

They do not have the right to stop anyone or any vehicle without probable
cause. Only the Coast Guard or U.S. Customs can stop a vessel without probable
cause.

Sorry - not true. CT DMV and DEP can stop any vessel at any time for
any reason including "spot checks" for proper registration,
environmental reasons (such as littering, excessive exhaust smoke)
and/or safety equipment "inspections" like PFDs, etc. Any other
"inspection" is by "request", but we all know what will happen if you
deny access to your boat - your day will be ruined. In addition, the
DMV and DEP cops in CT and RI are sworn law enforcement officers which
means that for all practical purposes, they are the same as the State
Police.

In the case I mentioned where I was tagged for the dead fire bottle, I
was stopped because there were four guys in my boat (three including
me) and they did a "capacity" and "PFD" "inspection". What was funny
about it was they originally thought we were drinking and they wanted
to do a DUI check, but were somewhat disappointed to find that the
cans being lifted were all Diet Coke. :) I don't allow alcohol on
my boats.

Don't know about other states environmental types.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
"...the tyrannical fascination which angling
holds for all those who have been once initiated
into its mysteries." Rafael Sabatini (1925)
Lloyd Sumpter

Two (left and right) 8-)

Lloyd