jchaplain

Default How many feet for a nantucket voyage?

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 22:01:07 -0500, "jay" wrote:

I am interesting in checking out the lower half of the Ct River, and out
towards Nantucket/The Vineyard.. I have no plans to try this on the 18' I
have now, but what would anyone recommend for a good "sea worthy" size for a
boat to stand up to the chop?
Right now I'm looking at upgrading to a Sea Ray sun Deck (260 horse, 24 ft.,
50gal gas tank) thinking that that might be something that can be used
around the Islands/The Cape...

-j

You can make the crossing to the Vineyard on an 18 or 19 foot boat
without a problem assuming calm waters, it's only about a mile or 3
depending on where you cross. I used to do it all the time on my 19
footer.
Nantucket is a bit further, but it all depends. On a calm day you
could do it in a 19 foot boat, but common sense would dictate
at least a 22 or 24 foot seaworthy boat for that trek. IMO.
I boat there all the time in my 24 footer ( Vineyard and Nantucket
sound,) and there are days when I won't go out at all, it all depends
on weather and waves that day.
John C.