Short Wave Sportfishing

Default How many feet for a nantucket voyage?

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 22:01:07 -0500, "jay" wrote:

I am interesting in checking out the lower half of the Ct River, and out
towards Nantucket/The Vineyard.. I have no plans to try this on the 18' I
have now, but what would anyone recommend for a good "sea worthy" size for a
boat to stand up to the chop?
Right now I'm looking at upgrading to a Sea Ray sun Deck (260 horse, 24 ft.,
50gal gas tank) thinking that that might be something that can be used
around the Islands/The Cape...

There is a terrific state launch ramp right off of I-95 in old
Saybrook which will give you easy access to most of LIS and outward to
the Vineyard, Block, etc. The lower end of the CT River is a fun
place to run, but take a chart and get used to the various
regulations, etc. Also be aware that the DEP HQ is right on the River
in Old Lyme and they just LOVE to write tickets, so make sure you have
all the life jackets, registration and that your safety equipment is
up to snuff. They hit me up last year for an expired fire
extinguisher which was original equipment on the boat and located IN
the Center Console. It didn't matter that I had two other good
bottles and a supression system for the outboards - one bad bottle and
I got fined. ~~ mutter ~~

For me, the minimum for running out to Block and others is 24 feet and
it should be a good day. The boat you are considering is ok for that
purpose. Like John said, keep you eye out for weather, make sure you
have radios and your equipment in shape and you should be fine.

Most important, is to get a chart for the River to avoid embarrassment
from running right up on a sand bar. Sea Tow makes a ton of money off
of the bar at the end of the River right before Old Saybrook
Light/Breakwater. :)

You can get a visual check of the end of the River during the summer
by using this link.

http://seatowct.com/livecam.html

Good luck.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
"...the tyrannical fascination which angling
holds for all those who have been once initiated
into its mysteries." Rafael Sabatini (1925)