Lloyd Sumpter

Default New Engine coming on Sat - Yay!

New engine is in Vancouver, awaiting customs clearance. Far Cove gets hauled
tomorrow at 9:30am so I can replace the cutlass bearing before the new engine
gets installed. Drilling the hole for the exhaust thruhull as well (old one was
1 1/4" fg, new one is 1 3/4" bronze), and running new fuel lines, which will be
MUCH easier without the engine in the way.

Then, at 9:00am Sat, the new engine arrives! Dealer Robert will pull out the old
one (which is now sitting on the galley sole so I could get at the stringers and
rebuild them) and drop in the new one. While he's adjusting, aligning, bolting,
etc., I'll be replacing the head seacock (remember that? The one that jammed so
I had to use the sink thruhull for the holding tank?).

If all goes well, the engine will be bolted down by Sat night. (Stage I
Complete!). Sunday I'll install the exhaust thruhull, the new 1" raw-water hoses
and vacuum-break (old one was 5/8"), fuel lines, throttle/shift/stop levers, and
anything else I have time for. Oh, and compress the shaft seal so it won't leak.

Monday morning, she goes back in. I do as much as I have time for, then take the
exhaust riser measurements to Mac's Industrial and Marine Exhaust so they can
weld up a SS riser for me.

Next weekend, in goes the riser, all the other stuff gets complete, checklist
checked, fluids checked, and...fire her up! (Stage II Complete!)

Then there's all the fiddley-bits: strap all the wiring and hoses neatly, run
the vent hoses, replace all the panels, put tools away, clean up...basically
turn it back into a boat instead of a "project". Also get Robert down to do a
final alignment. (Stage III Complete!)

Then, (once I've taken her out a few times for "sea-trials"), I think I'll head
out at 8:00 am and see where I get to by 5pm. Spend the night there, then turn
around and motor home. Unless, of course, the wind is REALLY nice...

Does it look like I'm excited about this new engine?

Too bad Chuck's taken a sabbatical - we could exchange New Engine stories!

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36
Capt. Frank Hopkins

Kewl Beans Lloyd,
Take some pix so we can see the new kid!

--
Capt. Frank Hopkins

www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks
"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
[...]

Wayne.B

LLoyd, good luck with that new engine. Be sure and let us know how
the prop pitch selection works out.

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 22:06:54 -0800, "Lloyd Sumpter"
wrote:

[...]

Calif Bill

[...]

Just looked at a package to Quatsino Lodge on Quatsino Sound. Looked like a
nice trip for you. Pacific side, across from Port Hardy. Take the vinyl
girl friend and try it. Good kayaking area.
Bill

Lloyd Sumpter

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 22:06:54 +0000, Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

New engine is in Vancouver, awaiting customs clearance. Far Cove gets hauled
tomorrow at 9:30am so I can replace the cutlass bearing before the new engine
gets installed. Drilling the hole for the exhaust thruhull as well (old one
was 1 1/4" fg, new one is 1 3/4" bronze), and running new fuel lines, which
will be MUCH easier without the engine in the way.

Then, at 9:00am Sat, the new engine arrives!

Update:

Engine arrived on time. It's painted. Really, really painted. They painted
the manifolds. They painted the mounting bolts. They painted the ground lug.
They painted the boots on the 12VDC connection (used to be red). Oh, well, it
DOES look nice!

Went in slicker'n'snot with the cherry-picker. Unfortunately, the M25XPB has
a few bumps in it that the M25 didn't have (and missing a few the M25 had...),
so we had to move the engine back off the stringers and onto the galley sole
while I made some adjustments to the mounting stringers.

Now I'm waiting for the fg to kick before sanding and applying gelcoat. If
the gelcoat kicks quickly enough, the engine should be back in place and bolted
down by Mon morning. Yay!

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Lloyd Sumpter

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 05:32:22 +0000, Capt. Frank Hopkins wrote:

Have you taken pictures of the new baby? --
Capt. Frank Hopkins

I've taken a few pics, but want one of the engine installed and bolted down
before I post them. Also, unfortunately we were too busy to take a pic when the
engine was dangling 15 ft off the ground...

Lloyd