Jim,

Default ( OT ) Native Americans criticize Bush’s silence

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7292684/

extract

"From all over the world we are getting letters of condolence, the Red
Cross has come, but the so-called Great White Father in Washington
hasn't said or done a thing," said Clyde Bellecourt, a Chippewa Indian
who is the founder and national director of the American Indian Movement
here. "When people's children are murdered and others are in the
hospital hanging on to life, he should be the first one to offer his
condolences. . . . If this was a white community, I don't think he'd
have any problem doing that."

The reaction to Bush's silence was particularly bitter given his
high-profile, late-night intervention on behalf of Terri Schiavo, the
brain-damaged Florida woman caught in a legal battle over whether her
feeding tube should be reinserted.

"The fact that Bush preempted his vacation to say something about Ms.
Schiavo and here you have 10 native people gunned down and he can't take
time to speak is very telling," said David Wilkins, interim chairman of
the Department of American Indian Studies at the University of Minnesota
and a member of the North Carolina-based Lumbee tribe.

And in a related comment
It was the third time Clinton has come to Colorado because of Columbine.

"I felt the first time I came here, in the aftermath of that awful day
over five years ago, that I had gotten more out of being here than I
could have possibly given in terms of comfort because I was so
moved...," Clinton said.

He met with Columbine High School survivors a month after students Dylan
Klebold and Eric Harris launched their attack. He also called several
victims in local hospitals

Then President Clinton sent condolences to columbine the day of the
shooting.