Wayne.B

Default What's the OB 90-225 HP outboards to avoid

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 04:14:23 GMT, bo jangles wrote:

I'm looking for a new or used boat in the 18-22' range for inshore
sal****er use and the motor is a big concern of mine. What are the
late model motors to avoid? I've heard 4 strokes in general are the
way to go - and 4 strokes are dogs but if you go with a 4 stroke get
Yamaha or, get a Honda - Yamahas are junk. I've heard to get DI 2
stroke. I've heard that Mercs are the worst and the best; however,
I've also heard of many new Mercs being returned and Mercs on recall.
I've heard of Merc "smart" systems screwing up and having to be
disabled. One dealer swore by the new Evenrude DI (they have "smart"
systems too) and I have seen the above as well as Suzuki and Johnson
on the boats I'm looking at. Are there brands, sizes, types (2 or 4
stroke, carb, efi, di) to avoid? I'd appreciate some help.

Here in south Florida both the Yamaha and Honda 4 strokes are very
popular, as are the Merc 2 strokes.

K. Smith

bo jangles wrote:
I'm looking for a new or used boat in the 18-22' range for inshore
sal****er use and the motor is a big concern of mine. What are the
late model motors to avoid? I've heard 4 strokes in general are the
way to go - and 4 strokes are dogs but if you go with a 4 stroke get
Yamaha or, get a Honda - Yamahas are junk. I've heard to get DI 2
stroke. I've heard that Mercs are the worst and the best; however,
I've also heard of many new Mercs being returned and Mercs on recall.
I've heard of Merc "smart" systems screwing up and having to be
disabled. One dealer swore by the new Evenrude DI (they have "smart"
systems too) and I have seen the above as well as Suzuki and Johnson
on the boats I'm looking at. Are there brands, sizes, types (2 or 4
stroke, carb, efi, di) to avoid? I'd appreciate some help.

Any 4 stroke is OK.

Stay away from 2 strokes if you can even though boat for boat they
might be cheaper, initially:-)

Don't under any circumstance get a DFI of any type, you'll find give
away prices on Ficht (there's a reason) & cheap Optimax Merc. You won't
find a cheap E-Tec because they're still scamming people they might
work, they won't & you will do your dough if your boat has one.

& the Krause lie of the day is..... one from the sad "my father" range,
really really sad actually.

I'm ever proud of my late Dad's life. Clearly the liar is still in
school boy BS mode

My father and his chief mechanic once crossed the Atlantic in
winter in a 22' boat powered by twin outboards.
Yes, it is possible, even the fuel.
Got a "fireboat" welcome in NYC.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 04:14:23 GMT, bo jangles wrote:

I'm looking for a new or used boat in the 18-22' range for inshore
sal****er use and the motor is a big concern of mine. What are the
late model motors to avoid? I've heard 4 strokes in general are the
way to go - and 4 strokes are dogs but if you go with a 4 stroke get
Yamaha or, get a Honda - Yamahas are junk. I've heard to get DI 2
stroke. I've heard that Mercs are the worst and the best; however,
I've also heard of many new Mercs being returned and Mercs on recall.
I've heard of Merc "smart" systems screwing up and having to be
disabled. One dealer swore by the new Evenrude DI (they have "smart"
systems too) and I have seen the above as well as Suzuki and Johnson
on the boats I'm looking at. Are there brands, sizes, types (2 or 4
stroke, carb, efi, di) to avoid? I'd appreciate some help.

I understand the problem - you hear one thing, you hear another - it's
a freakin' jungle out there. :)

With respect to Honda, they are great engines - no doubt about it.
However, when they break, it can become problematic finding somebody
to repair them properly. Honda believes in the "our engines don't
break, so we don't need technical information to the local level"
philosophy. Their marketing is somewhat suspect. We have a
contributor here who went around in circles over what should have been
a warranty issue. I've heard second hand stories (for what they are
worth) about Honda's sitting in a shop until they could get a Honda
technician from an auto shop to look at the engines.

Yamaha is also a great engine but replacement and warranty parts can
be a problem - the supply lines are very long and if the parts
actually exist, take a while to arrive. Not in all cases, however -
it just depends on what breaks. Yamaha is also playing tough with
American engines by dumping their products making deals with boat
manufacturers. Take that for what it's worth.

I wouldn't buy a Mercury if you paid me to. And not for the reason
you think - it's their warranty policies which suck. One day over the
warranty and you are screwed - big time. Or they will just ignore
their own warranty policies and leave you hanging - I've had personal
experience with that. Great engines, warranty polices suck. Optimax
has had some powerhead problems and were recalled, but overall they
are solid engines. I just won't own one.

The one engine that I don't know a lot about, but have heard really
good things about is Suzuki.

Despite Karen's negative obsession with two strokes, Bombardier is
actually leading the way in terms of technology. I've had FICHT
Evinrudes and nary a problem - I did have one problem, but it was
quickly solved to my satisfaction by Bombardier and they honestly
didn't have to. Haven't had a problem since. I know several folks in
the shelfish industry (clam bullrakers) over in RI and they have a
couple of thousand hours on them with no problems - and these were the
150 engines which were the recall engines.

I'm having E-TEC 225s mounted on my new Contender (this coming week in
fact) - I believe in them, I believe in the technology. Two strokes
are lighter, much better power to weight ratios, more efficient,
longer warranties. cleaner emissions, easier to maintain and with
Bombardier anyway, longer warranties, better acceleration, yada, yada,
yada. Two strokes have it all over four strokes any way you want to
measure it.

Sorry for the length - I get carried away sometimes. :)

Good luck - hope this helps a little.

Later,

Tom
Tuuk

krause

lol,,, you stated that your father crossed the Atlantic in a 22 foot boat
with outboards?? lol,,,ouch,,, ooo my,,,, to a fire boat welcome,,, lol,,,
ouch,,, lol,,

Better call the little darling there krause,, bring on the meds tray,,,

lol,,, most germans immigrate via planes or ships,,, krause's papa come to
the welcome of the fireboats spraying water,,,, lol,,,, Was the President
and Queen there to welcome krause also???

So the old man was a mechanic huh??? which gas bar did he work at??? I know
the type,, check the oil, squeegy the window please sir,,, can you fill it
up with unleaded... lol,,, that explains the three wives and having to stuff
the mother into the cheapest home you could find there krause on the west
side,,, lol,,,,,, krause you are the limit,,,

"HarryKrause" wrote in message
K. Smith wrote:
bo jangles wrote:

[...]

The best advice might be to avoid any engine recommendations offered by
one Karen Smith of Australia, a well-known psychotic and usenet stalker
who knows nothing about modern outboard engines and likely never has even
seen one.

tony thomas

Yamaha: 2 stroke or 4 stroke. I personally like the EFI better than the
carb since they crank and run like a car (no choke or throttle required).
Don't get Direct fuel injection. Make sure you have a local dealer that has
a good reputation.

Merc: 2 stroke or 4 stroke. Again, EFI is better. Don't get Optimax.
Best dealer network. Best for parts. A good local dealer will take care of
you and you won't have the warrenty issues that Short Wave talked about.

Suzuki: 2 stroke or 4 stroke. Again, EFI is better. Local dealer and
dealer network may be an issue.

Honda: 4 stroke (I like the least personally due to dealer network)

Evinrude / Johnson: Stay away from Period. Older ones were good in a carb
2 stroke but I don't think you want to go that old.

Personally I would want 2 stroke EFI that a good reputable local dealer
works on. These engines have been around a long time and should give many
years of trouble free use. (like buying a 350 chevy).

--
Tony
my boats and cars at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com
"bo jangles" wrote in message
I'm looking for a new or used boat in the 18-22' range for inshore
sal****er use and the motor is a big concern of mine. What are the
late model motors to avoid? I've heard 4 strokes in general are the
way to go - and 4 strokes are dogs but if you go with a 4 stroke get
Yamaha or, get a Honda - Yamahas are junk. I've heard to get DI 2
stroke. I've heard that Mercs are the worst and the best; however,
I've also heard of many new Mercs being returned and Mercs on recall.
I've heard of Merc "smart" systems screwing up and having to be
disabled. One dealer swore by the new Evenrude DI (they have "smart"
systems too) and I have seen the above as well as Suzuki and Johnson
on the boats I'm looking at. Are there brands, sizes, types (2 or 4
stroke, carb, efi, di) to avoid? I'd appreciate some help.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 00:08:19 GMT, "tony thomas"
wrote:

Yamaha: 2 stroke or 4 stroke. I personally like the EFI better than the
carb since they crank and run like a car (no choke or throttle required).
Don't get Direct fuel injection. Make sure you have a local dealer that has
a good reputation.

Merc: 2 stroke or 4 stroke. Again, EFI is better. Don't get Optimax.
Best dealer network. Best for parts. A good local dealer will take care of
you and you won't have the warrenty issues that Short Wave talked about.

Wanna bet? :) Do we need to bring out the receipts and prove the
point one more time?

Suzuki: 2 stroke or 4 stroke. Again, EFI is better. Local dealer and
dealer network may be an issue.

Honda: 4 stroke (I like the least personally due to dealer network)

Evinrude / Johnson: Stay away from Period. Older ones were good in a carb
2 stroke but I don't think you want to go that old.

Karen - is that you? :)

Later,

Tom
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 00:43:12 GMT, bo jangles wrote:

wrote:

[...]

WOW! Only a few "meaningful" responses into the thread and no
agreement at all from people that know much more than I. No wonder
I'm confused. I may just scrap the whole idea and continue to rent
boats and let someone else take care of them.

ROTFL!!!!!

You will never actually get a straight answer if you ask an open ended
question. Everybody knows somebody who knows somebody, etc. :)

Everybody agrees that Karen is...well...very negative about 2 stroke
outboards. It doesn't mean she doesn't have knowledge and can't
impart experiences that are meaningful - she can and sometimes does.
It's just in this area, she is extremely biased.

Tony is a Merc guy and is very knowledgable about Mercs. We've been
over around and through this Merc warranty thing - he refuses to
believe that anybody can have a negative experience with Mercury.
That's fine - his belief. He is a valuable contributor to the group
and we disagree on Mercury. I never said they were lousy engines - I
said their warranty policy sucks.

I completely disagree with anybody who is negative towards DI two
stroke technology. My experiences have been positive and I know a lot
of folks who have also had similar experiences. I'm so confident that
I just spent a lot of money on purchasing two E-TECs. Take that for
what you will.

There is an easy way to figure it all out. Take what the responses
have been and take a look around at the different engine
manufacturers. Make a point of going to different sales organizations
and ask questions - what is the difference between 4 stroke and 2
stroke? What is the per hour gas consumption rate? How reliable are
the engines? What is the warranty? Compare emissions figures engine
for engine. Once you have a little product knowledge, get the
technical information and make some comparisons.

Of above all, don't let personal opinions get in the way of the facts.
If you find that you are comfortable with Mercury and the Mercury
dealer, then that's the engine for you. Same with Yamaha, same with
Evinrude - anything.

Owning your own boat is fun. Don't let us with strong opinions ruin
the boat comparison and shopping experience for you.

Good luck.

Later,

Tom
tony thomas

I am not saying that Merc is perfect. No motor will run forever without
doing maintenance and repairs.
I just personally have had great experiences with my local Merc dealer. As
I said earlier - dealer is the most important issue.
I don't normally mention it but I am actually OMC certified as a mechanic.
I went to their school in Atlanta back in 1987. The older ones are great
and have very little problems.
Reason I say don't buy DFI of any brand is not based on the fact that every
one of them is junk. There are a lot of engines out there that are great.
My dad has an Optimax 135 on his pontoon and loves it and has never had a
problem. He bought the Optimax because he wanted the HP and that was the
only good option in that size at the time. Don't buy DFI is based on
resale. As you can see from all the posts - most will tell you the horror
stories and tell you to stay away. There just is no need at this point to
buy one. You can get a 4 stroke or 2 stroke EFI for the same price (or
less) in any size you want so why bother with the DFI.

As for the original question. Figure out who has the best dealerships and
service departments in your particular area. Then find a boat you like w/
that brand 4 stroke or 2 stroke EFI engine in the correct HP for that boat.
Just be aware that Evinrude / Johnson resale will probably be less (and
harder to sell) than the other brands due to corporate problems and
reputation.

--

wrote:

[...]

tony thomas

Check the web for boat dealers in the areas you will visit.
Chances are there is a Merc dealer there and probably a Yamaha somewhere
close.
Suzuki is going to be rare in a lot of areas of the country.
Honda is more popular but can be hard to find parts and dealers in smaller
towns/areas.
OMC - you know my thoughts on that.

--
Tony
my boats and cars at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com
"bo jangles" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 02:43:44 GMT, "tony thomas"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks Tony --- and Tom - glad you could stop rolling and laughing
long enough to put a thoughtful response together. My problem will be
that the boat will not be used where I live but where I visit. If I
bought a boat today (and the temperature was above freezing) I would
have to travel 3 to 30 hours to use it. I hate to think of a 21' boat
in most of the Susquehanna River (Pennsylvania) - wouldn't be much
left of the lower end or the hull. So, when I actually use the boat
(4 months of the year) I will be traveling and have no idea who does
what to who and for how long and how much it will cost. Thus my
original question, not "What's the best..." but "what should I avoid".

I guess I won't completely give up on the idea of getting a boat but
it is getting pretty frustrating.

K. Smith

wrote:

[...]

Hmmm I certainly think the 4 strokes are better than the 2 strokes &
I'd suggest the manufacturers (except one experimental newcomer:-)) have
made the same choices & backed their choices with their own investment
money.

I am against the DFI & if you search google groups you'll read for
weeks & weeks & see I've been saying they won't work since before they
didn't work & still to this day I say "we" are the only ones to give a
rational explanation as to why they didn't, don't & won't work in
consumer usage. If that is a bias again Tom OK I put my hands up:-)

Tony is a Merc guy and is very knowledgable about Mercs. We've been
over around and through this Merc warranty thing - he refuses to
believe that anybody can have a negative experience with Mercury.
That's fine - his belief. He is a valuable contributor to the group

He certainly is & thanks are in order.

and we disagree on Mercury. I never said they were lousy engines - I
said their warranty policy sucks.

I completely disagree with anybody who is negative towards DI two
stroke technology.

Gee Tom,

A publicly admitted failure rate of 1 in 5!!!! Imagine the real rate if
that's what the dealers themselves "admit"???:-)

US$1.3 Billion of union retirees' money lost???

7000 US workers chucked out of work???

A US icon company feet up in a table drain??

Endless boaters lost heaps on their recreation interest during the
biggest recreational spend of all time??

Mercury are so scared of DFI they're spending huge amounts on belatedly
changing over to 4 strokes & again ALL boating consumers will pay in the
end. NB Merc have now claimed dumping protection against Yamaha, which
means this season the price of OBs will go up yet again.

My experiences have been positive and I know a lot
of folks who have also had similar experiences.

You had a failure rate of i in3!!! that's even worse!!! & I hate to tell
you Tom yours too was caused by lean mixture at power, poor atomisation
induced detonation, just the same as the ejected injectors were, the
same as the fuel plumbing leaks were (till the coast guard made them
recall so people didn't die from the fires). So just because your
pistons didn't melt which was the usual failure mode, doesn't mean your
engines were not detonating, it just means the horrendous shock waves
killed under the flywheel first.

I'm so confident that
I just spent a lot of money on purchasing two E-TECs. Take that for
what you will.

No comment.... well............:-) apart from he couldn't get any money
for the Fichts any other way than buy even more bad news. Tom is now an
official tester for the latest consumer funded Ficht experiment. He's
paying over 4 stroke prices, hope he gets a supporters T shirt ( if he
can still afford it:-))

There is an easy way to figure it all out. Take what the responses
have been and take a look around at the different engine
manufacturers. Make a point of going to different sales organizations
and ask questions - what is the difference between 4 stroke and 2
stroke? What is the per hour gas consumption rate? How reliable are
the engines? What is the warranty? Compare emissions figures engine
for engine. Once you have a little product knowledge, get the
technical information and make some comparisons.

Also make sure the engines you buy are from long term players, & the
technology is well known & well established as a success, that all but
eliminates the E-Tecs & then if you have any doubts ask how they can ask
such silly prices for a glorified lawn mower 2 stroke engine, even more
than a proper 4 stroke.

Of above all, don't let personal opinions get in the way of the facts.
If you find that you are comfortable with Mercury and the Mercury
dealer, then that's the engine for you. Same with Yamaha, same with
Evinrude - anything.

Not Evinrude you'll be taking a huge risk & they haven't even really
sold any in big quantities yet. This is a re-run of Ficht where they
tell you to "trust" them & they know more than any of the proper engine
manufacturers.

Don't listen to the dealers from any brand they'll say anything to get
your money. Indeed with Ficht despite their denials it transpired
(absolutely for sure, in the courts during the OMC bankruptcy) they were
getting over 30% in kickbacks to continue to lie to consumers, imagine
that 30% of say a US$15000 OB & they didn't even have to pay for
them!!!! No wonder they're liars.

Owning your own boat is fun. Don't let us with strong opinions ruin
the boat comparison and shopping experience for you.

Good luck.

Later,

Tom

Speaking of liars (see how I cunningly lead into that???:-))

Another from the very sad "father series, this is the one where he
claims his dad died in the 70s so Krause stepped in to clean up, being
the greedy union employee liar he is I'm sure he cleaned up for himself;
but...........

As always his lies are just lies, anyone in the boating industry knows
dealers don't actually "own" the stock, much less a dealer in the 70 has
$3mil on the floor (what's that in todays money??? gee just cpi it & you
get $11-12 mil:-) but the liar doesn't do the math on his lies because
he's totally an uneducated buffoon. Or why would the industry be
depressed if he sold in 30 days at "near full retail, too" What an idiot.

We're probably lucky really that the lying grub did go off & become a
flunky union employee destroying the US manufacturing industries,
imagine what we'd be paying for Ficht by now:-)

I sold off nearly $3,000,000 in new motors and boats,
depressing the new boat industry in southern Connecticut
for an entire season.
Everything was sold...every cotter pin, every quart of oil,
30 days after I started.
For near full-retail, too.

Clive Cussler novel. N.L. Eckert General 45 December 7th 04 08:30 PM
Nissan Outboards? OC General 3 November 28th 04 04:40 PM
Sea Ray makes outboards??? Pauli G Cruising 1 July 22nd 04 05:12 PM
1980's era Chrysler outboards Mike General 5 September 28th 03 05:28 PM