Rob

Default Thinking about buying a Tiara

I'm looking at used Tiaras and so far from what I've seen and read it's
a solid boat. I've been looking mainly at mid '90s 3100 Open models.
Anyone have any experience with these boats? Aside from engine
compartment access problems are there any other known issues with this
boat? I've been looking mostly at gas powered models since the diesels
seem to be pretty rare.

Thanks
--
Rob
Harry Krause

Rob wrote:

I'm looking at used Tiaras and so far from what I've seen and read it's
a solid boat. I've been looking mainly at mid '90s 3100 Open models.
Anyone have any experience with these boats? Aside from engine
compartment access problems are there any other known issues with this
boat? I've been looking mostly at gas powered models since the diesels
seem to be pretty rare.

Thanks
--
Rob

Make sure you have a surveyor check out the boat and especially check
out the deck. Tiara, I believe, used balsa as a deck underlay. Where
hardware fasteners pierce the fiberglass and balsa is a place for rot to
start, unless the "driller" applied epoxy to the side of the openings.

Tiaras, as you have been told, are solid boats. Try to find out about
gasoline consumption before you buy. You might be - horrified.

--
Email sent to is never read.
Rob

Harry Krause wrote:

Make sure you have a surveyor check out the boat and especially check
out the deck. Tiara, I believe, used balsa as a deck underlay. Where
hardware fasteners pierce the fiberglass and balsa is a place for rot to
start, unless the "driller" applied epoxy to the side of the openings.

I've heard that too. So far the two I've looked at were rock solid. One
had nearly 3000 hours on the engines, Crusaders, which kept me away, the
other I'm still considering.

Tiaras, as you have been told, are solid boats. Try to find out about
gasoline consumption before you buy. You might be - horrified.

Yeah, it's something like .85MPG. Not exactly thrifty but most of where
I'll be running is within a half a tank, about 100 miles, so it's not
horrible. I've tried locating one with diesels but they are rather tough
to come by any that are reasonably new, say no older than 10 years.
--
Rob

Paul Schilter

Rob,
I haven't heard anything bad about Crusader engines, have you? If it's
an hours issue, I'd agree that 3000 on gas engines is a lot.
Paul

"Rob" wrote in message

I've heard that too. So far the two I've looked at were rock solid. One
had nearly 3000 hours on the engines, Crusaders, which kept me away, the
other I'm still considering.

Rob

Paul Schilter wrote:

I haven't heard anything bad about Crusader engines, have you? If it's
an hours issue, I'd agree that 3000 on gas engines is a lot.
Paul

I've heard nothing but good things, aside from fuel consumption, about
the Crusaders. In general 3000 hours is more than most gas engines will
live to see. From speaking with a few mechanics 1800 - 2000 hours seems
to be the usual EOL for a gas engine.
--
Rob

Paul Schilter

Hi Rob,
I'm looking at boats in the same vintage, more to the Sea Ray 300
Weekender because I can't afford the Tiaras. If you go to
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/boatreviews/tiara_3100.htm you'll see that David
Pascoe thinks well of Tiara in general. I did see a Tiara in Lakeland
Boating magazine that was affordable but it had water intrusion damage on
the fore deck by the windshield. This was probably an exception to the rule
as they're considered well built boats.
Paul

"Rob" wrote in message
I'm looking at used Tiaras and so far from what I've seen and read it's
a solid boat. I've been looking mainly at mid '90s 3100 Open models.
Anyone have any experience with these boats? Aside from engine
compartment access problems are there any other known issues with this
boat? I've been looking mostly at gas powered models since the diesels
seem to be pretty rare.

Thanks
--
Rob

Rob

Paul Schilter wrote:

I'm looking at boats in the same vintage, more to the Sea Ray 300
Weekender because I can't afford the Tiaras. If you go to
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/boatreviews/tiara_3100.htm you'll see that David
Pascoe thinks well of Tiara in general. I did see a Tiara in Lakeland
Boating magazine that was affordable but it had water intrusion damage on
the fore deck by the windshield. This was probably an exception to the rule
as they're considered well built boats.

Thanks, David's site is full of good information.
--
Rob
Wayne.B

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 19:12:48 GMT, Rob wrote:

I've been looking mostly at gas powered models since the diesels
seem to be pretty rare.

Tiaras are good boats and Crusader engines are also first rate but
thirsty. Figure on 30 to 40 gph at full cruising speed for a pair of
454s. If the boat with the 3,000 hour Crusaders is good in all other
respects, try a low ball offer predicated on the need to do an engine
replacement. You never know until you ask.

FishFan

Rob wrote in message .. .
I'm looking at used Tiaras and so far from what I've seen and read it's
a solid boat. I've been looking mainly at mid '90s 3100 Open models.
Anyone have any experience with these boats? Aside from engine
compartment access problems are there any other known issues with this
boat? I've been looking mostly at gas powered models since the diesels
seem to be pretty rare.

Thanks

Got a friend with a late 80's 3100 and he loves it. Its a good
compromise boat -Its got everything his wife wants for weekending and
cruising, but he can also fish it hard, including canyon trips for
tuna. The gas bill was a killer w/454's so when it was time to
repower he went w/ diesels. They'll never pay for theselves but
between the extra range, a little better cruising speed, and better
resale value he figured it was worth it. The only structural knock
was cracking of the fiberglass boxes that support the seats in the
cockpit.

Its a nice boat, one I'd consider when moving up from my 24' Grady.

FishFan