Gary

Default Boating Topic (BT): To muffler or not to muffler?

Ok, I've mostly been ignoring this newsgroup for a while. But in the last
couple day's
I've started or participated in a few off topic threads. To to adjust my
rec.boats karma
I'll try to start a few boating threads.

Our Chris Craft, which we finally got restored and running last summer, is a
bit loud. It doesn't bother me much but it seems most of our "guests" don't
find it annoying. I'm trying to decide whether to put in a muffler or not.
In the Yes column is the noise reduction. In the No column is the pain &
expense -- but mostly that we loose the "authentic" and "ogirinal" feel. ~
We tried to restore her keeping things pretty close to original - but we
weren't a slave to that. And I really don't care about winning any
boat-shows.

So, what would you do / what do you think?

gary

Pics of the boat:
http://tinyurl.com/spsv
http://tinyurl.com/4coae

Gary wrote:
[...]

Personally, I'd keep it, as well as anything on your boat, as authentic
and original as possible.

DSK

Gary wrote:
Ok, I've mostly been ignoring this newsgroup for a while. But in the last
couple day's
I've started or participated in a few off topic threads. To to adjust my
rec.boats karma
I'll try to start a few boating threads.

Cool

Our Chris Craft, which we finally got restored and running last summer, is a
bit loud. It doesn't bother me much but it seems most of our "guests" don't
find it annoying. I'm trying to decide whether to put in a muffler or not.
In the Yes column is the noise reduction. In the No column is the pain &
expense -- but mostly that we loose the "authentic" and "ogirinal" feel. ~
We tried to restore her keeping things pretty close to original - but we
weren't a slave to that. And I really don't care about winning any
boat-shows.

So, what would you do / what do you think?

I can understand & agree with the urge to keep the boat original.

Remember that when the boat was new, the waterways were a lot less
crowded. IMHO it would a be considerate gesture to put on an effective
muffler. If there's a performance hit, put on a gate.

There's nothing as aggravating & unnecessary as an extremely loud boat
running through a previously nice quiet anchorage.

Fair Skies
Doug King

John H

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 16:18:26 -0500, DSK wrote:

Gary wrote:
[...]

If the goal is current enjoyment of a quieter boat, I'd put a muffler on it. If
and when you enter a contest or desire to sell the boat, you can always easily
restore it to original shape.
--
John H

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 15:06:43 -0500, "Gary"
wrote:

In the Yes column is the noise reduction. In the No column is the pain &
expense -- but mostly that we loose the "authentic" and "ogirinal" feel. ~
We tried to restore her keeping things pretty close to original - but we
weren't a slave to that. And I really don't care about winning any
boat-shows.

Very cool.

Why not put a gate in the muffler system? That way, you can have the
best of both worlds.

Later,

Tom

mgg

There's nothing as aggravating & unnecessary as an extremely loud boat
running through a previously nice quiet anchorage.

I feel the same about Harley's anywhere near my neighborhood....

--Mike

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..

Gary wrote:
[...]

Isn't your boat some old Connie at about 58' LOA?

If so, you should be running enough water down your exhaust hoses and
they should be of more than adequate length to "muffle" your inboards.

Adding a muffler is no big deal, however. One of the water "lift"
mufflers will
splice right into your exhaust hoses. If a purist comes along at resale
time and objects to the muffler, no big deal. If the hoses are old
enough his surveyor may recommend replacement and you can jerk out the
mufflers at that point in time.

Dave Hall

wrote:

Ok, I've mostly been ignoring this newsgroup for a while. But in the last
couple day's
I've started or participated in a few off topic threads. To to adjust my
rec.boats karma
I'll try to start a few boating threads.

Our Chris Craft, which we finally got restored and running last summer, is a
bit loud. It doesn't bother me much but it seems most of our "guests" don't
find it annoying. I'm trying to decide whether to put in a muffler or not.
In the Yes column is the noise reduction. In the No column is the pain &
expense -- but mostly that we loose the "authentic" and "ogirinal" feel. ~
We tried to restore her keeping things pretty close to original - but we
weren't a slave to that. And I really don't care about winning any
boat-shows.

So, what would you do / what do you think?

You might be able to simply slide a baffle into the exhaust outlet.
They are good for taking the rasp out of the exhaust note and they are
simple to install (and remove if desired).

Dave
Gary

Ok everyone - thanks for the comments & ideas.

I'm going to look into "slide in" baffels and/or gates as maybe a way to
have
the best of both worlds.

No the boat isn't a 58' connie -- it's a 22' sea skiff.

As for ignoring the complainers, Welll the situaiton is more like this: My
dad, brother, and I restored the boat. And usually we use it the most. But
it would be good for everyone involved if my mom wanted to come out more.
She's not big into boating and certainly won't be out with us a lot. But a
muffler
might help her decide to come out a few more times. And that'd be good.

One last thing: The loudness is mostly at speed and mostly for the
passengers.
It's not really that loud to other people, say at a dock at we're coming in
slow.
It is *not* super loud like the Donzi's and such are.

Again, thanks for the ideas & comments.

"Gary" wrote in message

[...]

John H

"Gary" wrote in message

[...]

Ahh a nice pair of ear muffs for mom may solve the problem!

--
John H

Off Topic Posting Has Finally Hit Its Inevitable Bottom. Don ßćiley General 8 October 1st 11 04:39 PM
Time for a boating topic. Des Moines (WA) Marina Gould 0738 General 1 August 20th 04 06:10 PM
Accelerated USPS Boating Classes in New York City NRUSPS ASA 3 March 24th 04 01:03 PM
Boating topic! Calif Bill General 5 March 4th 04 01:05 PM
To Anyone & Everyone New To Boating Capt. Frank Hopkins General 8 August 23rd 03 12:28 AM