Carl Gustaf

Default Newbie question - Salt & Freshwater outboards

Hola amigos,

What is the difference between salt and freshwater outboard motors on
powerboats? Can I use a sal****er motor in freshwater as well if want to
boat on both types of water?

Also how can I tell the difference between them?

Regards.
CG
tony thomas

The only difference is the sal****er version has more corrosion resistance.
You can use both versions in any water. The freshwater version will just
not last as long in sal****er (in theory). However, if cleaned and flushed
after each use - not really much difference in corrosion buildup chances
are.

--
Tony
my boats and cars at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com
"Carl Gustaf" wrote in message
Hola amigos,

What is the difference between salt and freshwater outboard motors on
powerboats? Can I use a sal****er motor in freshwater as well if want to
boat on both types of water?

Also how can I tell the difference between them?

Regards.
CG

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 03:03:14 +0000 (UTC), Carl Gustaf
wrote:

Hola amigos,

What is the difference between salt and freshwater outboard motors on
powerboats? Can I use a sal****er motor in freshwater as well if want to
boat on both types of water?

Higher corrosion resistance as Tony said. The zincs may be a little
heavier also, but that isn't necessarily the case. Other than that,
there is little difference and they both can be used interchangeably
in fresh or salt. The only caveat is if you use the boat in salt, you
need to flush the motor after every use with fresh water just to keep
salt and mineral buildup down.

Also how can I tell the difference between them?

One says sal****er and the other doesn't. :)

Later,

Tom