Tan PS

Default Mercruiser Topic

Just bought a Trophy with a 5.7 V8 coupled to an Alpha drive, 1991. Started
with some servicing to get things in order before venturing out. The
sterndrive is interesting and below are some experience I like to share.

1. U-joint bellows replacement
Pretty straightforward, not to worry.

2. Exhaust bellow
Real pain. Bought the tool as recommended but it is quite useless
unless you remove the upper shift-shaft as it cannot be inserted. Any parts
removal in an old engine is an adventure in its own right. Gave up that
idea, finally split the tool and used one arm to do the job.

3. Lower shift cable
Fitting needed a special tool, welded a 3/8 drive 9/16 socket to a
1/2 inch pipe and another socket at the other end to give it the square
drive. 2 sockets, 1 pipe and welding later, quite useless, damn cable
fitting is stuck. Finally drilled it out, watch it, its a NPT thread with a
taper. Can't they just use regular threads with an o-ring and sealant to
seal it against water-just needed to ventilate....
Installing the cable, haven't done it yet. After surveying the job,
can see it coming...****.

4. Bell housing hinge pin
As all old boat stuff, stuck. Tool now used as paperweight. Didn't
want to push it, if something breaks = more money or less for me depending
on which side you are on.

Something to share.

Tan PS

Tan PS

My idea of "in order" is preventive maintenance. Safety items do not fall
into this and are in the no-go category. As I have just bought the boat,
there's no telling what conditions are. Asking the seller on its history is
just making small talk. In this instance, the drive removal picked up the
upper drive oil seal leakage. Would have been costly if allowed to
continue.

Since the drive is out, might as well change some of the items. Bellows and
cross-bearings, would have probably lasted a few more months to a year. If
I were to change them when they finally give, would have meant dropping the
drive again and more downtime.

Every repair means effort and downtime, adopting a preventive replacement
cycle can be cost effective. Parts replacement cannot be avoided, its just a
matter of time. Planned replacements compared to use-till-it-breaks works
out to marginally little extra cost over a 10 year cycle and may be cheaper
if labour and downtime is considered. Secondary damage and towing at sea is
costly and will still require maintenance spend.

Tan PS

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
I'm a bit lost in this. Did all of this stuff need repair to get the
vessel "in order"? If so, you have saved some $$$$$ at the possible
expense of safety.

This is a textbook example of why a job budgeted for $$ can easily
cost $$$$$$.
Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

Joe Blizzard

"Tan PS" wrote
Exhaust bellow ...
Bought the tool as recommended
but it is quite useless ...
split the tool and used one arm to do the job.

Glad you brought this up. I'm planning to replace the bellows on my 1977
165/R this winter, since it looks like I may keep the boat a while and I'm
pretty sure the ones on it are the originals. Looking at the exhaust bellows
tool, it seems rather expensive for what it appears to be. (a couple of bent
sticks, joined with a hinge in the middle) I was thinking I could fabricate
something that would do the job and save a few bucks.

Lower shift cable ...
Fitting needed a special tool

Like this one?
http://www.mercstuff.com/group_image...ablesocket.htm
(It's on my shopping list.)

Bell housing hinge pin ...
As all old boat stuff, stuck.
Tool now used as paperweight.
Didn't want to push it ...

Don't you have to remove the hinge pins to get to the bellowses?

Tan PS

Yes, that's the tool for the shift cable. Can be fabricated, use a 6-point
socket, 12-points stress the corners and will round the nut - I know, I did
that. Need to be a 3/8 drive so that the teflon tube can go through.

The shift cable need not be removed for the bellows job. Cable will be in
the way somewhat, but the cable removal will need rigging adjustments at the
shift plate. If not done properly, will end up with shifting and stalling
problems. Best avoided. If you must, read the guide in www.sterndrives.com
especially the part about removing the spiralwrap from the cable before
pulling it out. Wasn't on mine so can't tell if its a real problem if you
forget.

Yes, you can fabricate the tool for the exhaust bellow. Its essentially a
half-oval. The mount flanges at the bell housing and transom are oval, not
round. To get the tool shape, remove the sterndrive and follow the shape of
the exhaust opening in the bell housing. Use the shift shaft as the fulcrum
to lever the bellows at the first corrugation, reach behind the bellow
(small hands) and push it over the flange. Repeat using the 3rd corrugation
to push it furhter over the flange. Want to buy half of what I got? ;-)

After each clamp is in place, check visually to be sure clamp is in proper
position. One clamp I removed missed a small segment of the bellow.

There's no need to remove the bell housing to get to the bellows. The
u-joint bellow is easy, lots of room. The exhaust bellow is the pain.

Good luck.

"Joe Blizzard" wrote in message
"Tan PS" wrote
Exhaust bellow ...
[...]

.JIMinMA.

"Tan PS" wrote in message
Just bought a Trophy with a 5.7 V8 coupled to an Alpha drive, 1991.

Started
with some servicing to get things in order before venturing out. The
sterndrive is interesting and below are some experience I like to share.

1. U-joint bellows replacement
Pretty straightforward, not to worry.

2. Exhaust bellow
Real pain. Bought the tool as recommended but it is quite useless
unless you remove the upper shift-shaft as it cannot be inserted. Any

parts
removal in an old engine is an adventure in its own right. Gave up that
idea, finally split the tool and used one arm to do the job.

You might want to take the shift shaft out to replace the bushings and
seals. A leaking seal is probably why the shift cable got damaged.

3. Lower shift cable
Fitting needed a special tool, welded a 3/8 drive 9/16 socket to a
1/2 inch pipe and another socket at the other end to give it the square
drive. 2 sockets, 1 pipe and welding later, quite useless, damn cable
fitting is stuck. Finally drilled it out, watch it, its a NPT thread with

taper. Can't they just use regular threads with an o-ring and sealant to
seal it against water-just needed to ventilate....
Installing the cable, haven't done it yet. After surveying the

job,
can see it coming...****.

Drill out the end of a cheap chinese 6" 3/8 drive extension so the plastic
cable guide can fit into it.

4. Bell housing hinge pin
As all old boat stuff, stuck. Tool now used as paperweight.

Didn't
want to push it, if something breaks = more money or less for me depending
on which side you are on.

The hinge pins are set in with locktite at 90 ft. lbs. of torque. Use some
heat to soften the locktite.

Something to share.

Tan PS

Have fun,
Jim

need help- setting timing on Mercruiser Alpha One 3.0LX Patrick M. Ring General 4 June 5th 10 12:33 AM
on topic/off topic same ole General 2 December 10th 03 01:02 AM
MerCruiser stalling Bill General 9 September 30th 03 04:18 AM
? Mercruiser oil vs synethic oil frank news General 0 August 14th 03 10:42 PM
Mercruiser dies ..Help Tony Alcocer General 0 July 25th 03 07:20 PM