Capt Lou

Default Frozen Liveaboards in Northeast

How did the liveaboard communities survive the recent minus 10 to minus 20
degree farenheit temperatures in Massachusetts and Maine? Did you all "abandon
ship" for a shelter? I can't remember ever seeing such an expanse of ice in the
bays and ocean surrounding Boston!

"Listen to the live broadcast of 'Nautical Talk Radio' with Captain Lou every
Sunday afternoon from 4 - 5 (Eastern Standard Time) on the web at
www.959watd.com or if you are in Boston or Cape Cod set your radio dial to
95.9FM.
Backyard Renegade

(Capt Lou) wrote in message ...
How did the liveaboard communities survive the recent minus 10 to minus 20
degree farenheit temperatures in Massachusetts and Maine? Did you all "abandon
ship" for a shelter? I can't remember ever seeing such an expanse of ice in the
bays and ocean surrounding Boston!

"Listen to the live broadcast of 'Nautical Talk Radio' with Captain Lou every
Sunday afternoon from 4 - 5 (Eastern Standard Time) on the web at
www.959watd.com or if you are in Boston or Cape Cod set your radio dial to
95.9FM.

Driving up by Middletown CT at the Connecticut river I noticed no
channel cut up river through the ice. I am not sure if this is
unusual, but it is the first time I have ever seen it, usually there
is a channel at least up to Hartford from my memory.
Scotty
Lloyd Sumpter

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 06:22:25 +0000, Capt Lou wrote:

How did the liveaboard communities survive the recent minus 10 to minus 20
degree farenheit temperatures in Massachusetts and Maine? Did you all "abandon
ship" for a shelter? I can't remember ever seeing such an expanse of ice in the
bays and ocean surrounding Boston!

Can't speak for Boston, but when I was living aboard I noticed a "turnaround" of
temps around +4C: above that, it was cooler on the water. Below that, it was
warmer. When the air was -10 or so, the ocean water was still +4, so it was not
that bad on the boat.

I was down to Far Cove when we had our "cold snap" (for Vancouver, that's -10C)
- there was a bit of ice on the surface of the water from freshwater runoff, but
the fresh water in the boat was still fine. I do have a small heater in the
boat, but suspect without it it still wouldn't have frozen.

One of the advantages to living aboard!

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36