Lloyd Sumpter

Default Frozen Liveaboards in Northeast

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 06:22:25 +0000, Capt Lou wrote:

How did the liveaboard communities survive the recent minus 10 to minus 20
degree farenheit temperatures in Massachusetts and Maine? Did you all "abandon
ship" for a shelter? I can't remember ever seeing such an expanse of ice in the
bays and ocean surrounding Boston!

Can't speak for Boston, but when I was living aboard I noticed a "turnaround" of
temps around +4C: above that, it was cooler on the water. Below that, it was
warmer. When the air was -10 or so, the ocean water was still +4, so it was not
that bad on the boat.

I was down to Far Cove when we had our "cold snap" (for Vancouver, that's -10C)
- there was a bit of ice on the surface of the water from freshwater runoff, but
the fresh water in the boat was still fine. I do have a small heater in the
boat, but suspect without it it still wouldn't have frozen.

One of the advantages to living aboard!

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36