Jim

Default re-flooring boat

Hello,

Please could anyone advise me: I've got a 15ft fibre glass boat with wooden
floor the floor has some fibre glass resin at the sides presumably to fix it
in place.

My problem is the floor is rotten! I also need to get under it to see if
theres any damage
to the bottom of the boat underneath.

Can you please advise me if I should lift this old ply floor or perhaps seal
it and put another layer of ply and also if there should be many holes in
it?!?!?!?

Thanks
Jim

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:31:36 -0000, "Jim"
wrote:

Hello,

Please could anyone advise me: I've got a 15ft fibre glass boat with wooden
floor the floor has some fibre glass resin at the sides presumably to fix it
in place.

My problem is the floor is rotten! I also need to get under it to see if
theres any damage to the bottom of the boat underneath.

Can you please advise me if I should lift this old ply floor or perhaps seal
it and put another layer of ply and also if there should be many holes in
it?!?!?!?

When you say "hole in the floor" is there a space between the floor
and the outer hull? In other words, is the floor placed on a stringer
system of some sort or is it layed on some sort of core?

I'm going to assume that the "floor" of the boat is actually part of
the hull because of it's size. If it is a balsa or foam cored boat,
then you might have a problem - the balsa/foam is part of the
construction and can't be replaced as such - you might as well build a
new boat. The only reason I say this is because I've had a couple of
14/15 foot Crestliners here along with a couple of MFGs, etc. that I
removed some antique outboards from. All the boats were built with
this balsa and/or foam core construction when I cut them up for
disposal and every single one of them had a rotten floor.

Finally, If your floor is soft, it's a pretty good bet that the
transom is probably soft also. I'd check that.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
"My rod and my reel - they comfort me."

St. Pete, 12 Lb. Test
Calif Bill

wrote:

[...]

If it is just the floor. You can cut it out and build a new floor with
plywood and resin / glass. But if you go this way, measure the width of the
boat at several places along the length of the floor. Maybe even build a
2x4 bracing system to keep the boat from flexing outward when the floor is
removed. We did a buddy's Reinell a few years ago, transom was or, just the
floor bad. We learned we should of measured the width before removing
floor.

Garth Almgren

Around 1/16/2004 1:31 PM, Jim wrote:

My problem is the floor is rotten! I also need to get under it to see if
theres any damage
to the bottom of the boat underneath.

Time to replace the floor. It's not very difficult, but this book
(highly recommended by members of the Classic Glastron Owners
Association) should help walk you through the process:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0071580085

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
LaBomba182

Subject: re-flooring boat
From: "Jim"

Can you please advise me if I should lift this old ply floor or perhaps seal

Remove and replace.

it and put another layer of ply and also if there should be many holes in
it?!?!?!?

There should as few holes as possible. And what holes there need to be should
be well sealed.

Capt. Bill

offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Sailor's tattoo, must be married too long, Wooden Boat Festival Gould 0738 General 2 September 10th 03 06:38 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM