ntboy

Default Chaparral 290 vs Monterey 282

I am planing on buying a Chaparral 290 or a Monterey 282.
The Chaparral dealer is offering the signature 290 with twin mercruiser
5 L and Bravo II.

The Monterey is offering the 282 with twin volvos duo prop.

Price is similar, Chaparral is $10,000 more.

I like better the chaparral (cabin layout, cabin carpets are
removables), access to engines are OK. But my concern is with the fuel
and water capacity, fuel capacity is 115 Gal and 25 gal for water. The
monterey has 142 gal of fuel and 42 gal of water.

This is my first boat, Any info on the chaparral cruising range, speed
vs the monterey.

Thanks

tony thomas

I would go w/ the Monterey. The water capacity is not as much of an issue
as the fuel. You won't use 25 gallons of fresh water between fuel stops.
They should both get very similar fuel economy but the duoprop would be a
lot better choice than the bravo II. Planing speed will be lower and you
will get better cruise speed. The fuel capacity difference is going to be
a biggie if you cruise for long distances. You can usually find fuel every
150 miles but every 100 is pushing it for some areas around here. Plus the
$10k would be nice for accessories.

Now having said that - Check out used ones on www.boattraderonline.com
You can really save some money buying a couple year old one that is in
really good shape.

--
Tony
my boats and cars at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com
"ntboy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am planing on buying a Chaparral 290 or a Monterey 282.
The Chaparral dealer is offering the signature 290 with twin mercruiser
5 L and Bravo II.

The Monterey is offering the 282 with twin volvos duo prop.

Price is similar, Chaparral is $10,000 more.

I like better the chaparral (cabin layout, cabin carpets are
removables), access to engines are OK. But my concern is with the fuel
and water capacity, fuel capacity is 115 Gal and 25 gal for water. The
monterey has 142 gal of fuel and 42 gal of water.

This is my first boat, Any info on the chaparral cruising range, speed
vs the monterey.

Thanks

Harry Krause

On 31 Jan 2005 13:48:15 -0800, "ntboy" wrote:

I am planing on buying a Chaparral 290 or a Monterey 282.
The Chaparral dealer is offering the signature 290 with twin mercruiser
5 L and Bravo II.

A good boat, with about 1200 hp, and 76.5 kw.

The Monterey is offering the 282 with twin volvos duo prop.

I actually desiged the Duo-Prop, when I was the major share holder of
Volvo International.

Price is similar, Chaparral is $10,000 more.

You get what you pay for.

I like better the chaparral (cabin layout, cabin carpets are
removables), access to engines are OK. But my concern is with the fuel
and water capacity, fuel capacity is 115 Gal and 25 gal for water. The
monterey has 142 gal of fuel and 42 gal of water.

The Monterey has a 600 gallon water tank, and carries only 20 gallons
of fuel. Remember though, if you get the diesel option, it will hold
more fuel, as diesel fuel is more dense.

This is my first boat, Any info on the chaparral cruising range, speed
vs the monterey.

Thanks

1978 Chaparral 244 Boat Bob Boat Building 3 December 27th 11 01:50 AM
charter and info for Monterey Brien Alkire ASA 1 March 22nd 04 11:23 PM
Chaparral Group Formed Konnie Cruising 0 January 10th 04 02:39 PM
Chaparral Owners Group Konnie General 0 January 10th 04 02:36 PM
1989 Chaparral 32 Laser Dano General 0 September 25th 03 02:19 AM