Bob La Londe

Default Unusual Drives

Ok, we are all familiar with inboards, I/Os, and outboards. Most of us have
seen a stern wheeler or a side wheeler or a picture of one, but what else is
there?

I have run a cross refferences to a steam jet outboard. Haven't seen one or
even read a review of one yet, but it sure sounds interesting.

There is another I/O drive that looks interesting. Looks like a ball joing
or soemthing like that where it comes out of the transom and it sticks way
back behind the behing unlike the usual I/O that looks like the lower half
of an outboard. I guess its more of an inboard application that turns
instead of using a rudder.

Anyway. Iwas curious what kinds of unusual drives there were ot there.

--
** Public Fishing and Boating Forums
** www.YumaBassMan.com

NOYB

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Ok, we are all familiar with inboards, I/Os, and outboards. Most of us
have
seen a stern wheeler or a side wheeler or a picture of one, but what else
is
there?

I have run a cross refferences to a steam jet outboard. Haven't seen one
or
even read a review of one yet, but it sure sounds interesting.

There is another I/O drive that looks interesting. Looks like a ball
joing
or soemthing like that where it comes out of the transom and it sticks way
back behind the behing unlike the usual I/O that looks like the lower half
of an outboard. I guess its more of an inboard application that turns
instead of using a rudder.

Anyway. Iwas curious what kinds of unusual drives there were ot there.

Volvo Penta IPS. It's like an outdrive on an I/O, but it comes out the
*bottom* of the boat...and the duo-prop is in front of the skeg and lower
unit.

See:
http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/200...42mbynews.html

NOYB

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
NOYB wrote:
[...]

The perfect set up for fishing shallows where there are shell banks or
coral reef outcroppings....

I thought the same thing. I boat in the Land of the Scraped Outdrive Skeg.

trainfan1

Bob La Londe wrote:
Ok, we are all familiar with inboards, I/Os, and outboards. Most of us have
seen a stern wheeler or a side wheeler or a picture of one, but what else is
there?

I have run a cross refferences to a steam jet outboard. Haven't seen one or
even read a review of one yet, but it sure sounds interesting.

There is another I/O drive that looks interesting. Looks like a ball joing
or soemthing like that where it comes out of the transom and it sticks way
back behind the behing unlike the usual I/O that looks like the lower half
of an outboard. I guess its more of an inboard application that turns
instead of using a rudder.

Anyway. Iwas curious what kinds of unusual drives there were ot there.

http://www.twindisc.com/products_pag...ace_drives.htm

http://www.powervent.com/main.html

http://www.seafury.com/design_build.html

....and the Penn Yan Tunnel Drive... & others...

Rob

Greg

In certain areas where boaters are dealing with very shallow water the lower
unit and prop on an outboard is replaced with a water jet kit.

I saw a lot of those in Alaska but they said it had more to do with rocks than
shallow water.
They don't have a lot mud or sand there. the beaches are poker chip to saucer
sized black rocks.
Wayne.B

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 02:00:44 -0400, Terry Spragg
wrote:

...and the Penn Yan Tunnel Drive... & others...

Rob

Azipod

Terry K

====================================

Arneson Surface Drives

Saw them on a 50 something express cruiser and they look awesome.

http://www.twindisc.com/products_pag...ace_drives.htm

Netsock

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Ok, we are all familiar with inboards, I/Os, and outboards. Most of us

have
seen a stern wheeler or a side wheeler or a picture of one, but what else

is
there?

I have run a cross refferences to a steam jet outboard. Haven't seen one

or
even read a review of one yet, but it sure sounds interesting.

There is another I/O drive that looks interesting. Looks like a ball

joing
or soemthing like that where it comes out of the transom and it sticks way
back behind the behing unlike the usual I/O that looks like the lower half
of an outboard. I guess its more of an inboard application that turns
instead of using a rudder.

That would be a surface drive...like the one seen
here...http://home.columbus.rr.com/ckg/

The above one is straight ( or no-drop)...they come in different "drops".

There are also Jet (pump) drives, and v-drives. (The latter technically an
"inboard")

--
-Netsock

"It's just about going fast...that's all..."
http://home.columbus.rr.com/ckg/

Garth Almgren

Around 1/23/2005 5:19 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

Ok, we are all familiar with inboards, I/Os, and outboards. Most of us have
seen a stern wheeler or a side wheeler or a picture of one, but what else is
there?
snip
Anyway. Iwas curious what kinds of unusual drives there were ot there.

The Voith Schneider cycloidal propulsion system. AKA the "tractor"
drive, it is capable of producing full thrust in any direction. As
featured on one of my favorite Puget Sound tugs, the Garth Foss. (I like
the name!)

You haven't seen anything special until you've seen how a couple of
these drives and 8,000 HP can make a 138 foot, 460 ton tug literally
dance on the water as it maneuvers.

http://www.voithturbo.de/vt_en_pua_m...spropeller.htm

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing

trannies and drives sel1 General 2 September 27th 04 02:14 AM
Ad: $1,195 for Complete New Merc Alpha One Drives gpickren General 6 December 24th 03 09:16 PM
Unusual dinghy motor Parallax Cruising 8 November 18th 03 11:26 PM
unusual docking situation Scout ASA 12 July 21st 03 01:34 AM