Gould 0738

Default Peace Through Superior Firepower

Bull****. We bought 'em off, that's all. But I'm all for that, rather than
war.

John M.

We started 'em up, bought 'em off, and shut them down.

Remember that N. Korea only activated its nuclear reactor program *after*
George Bush cut off the oil supply to N. Korea.
Gets darn cold in Korea in the winter. Pretty hard to run the power plants on
donkey dung.

When things are going less-than-well in Iraq and a political victory is needed,
we accept N. Koreas's capitulation on the nuclear issue------and turn the oil
back on.
Oh---but not before they go ahead and develop a couple of nukes.

Spectacular statesmanship? Hardly.

Gould 0738

Without our mighty firepower, the world would "peacefully" be in the
67th year of the 1000 year Reich.

Jim

There can be no doubt, Jim, that was a good line.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

There can be no doubt that the last "moral" war does not justify any "immoral"
wars that follow.
Clams Canino

An interesting proposition.

In the case of WW2 we clearly entered the war too late, and then only after
a direct attack. Europe had already been bleeding far too long, and it's not
like Hitler had a secret agenda, he wrote a friggin book.

It's easy in hindsight to call "late action" on someone. It's a lot easier
to second guess pre-emptive behavior, because the percieved threat is stil
unmanifested and unrealized.

If you strike to early and neutralise a threat - who's to ever know what
would have happened?

-W

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Without our mighty firepower, the world would "peacefully" be in the
67th year of the 1000 year Reich.

Jim

There can be no doubt, Jim, that was a good line.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

There can be no doubt that the last "moral" war does not justify any

"immoral"
wars that follow.

Gould 0738

Chuck, wasn't their nuclear program in development during the Clinton
years? When you say, "...cut off the oil supply..." are you referring
to oil we were giving them or did we in fact place an embargo on North

Their nuke program was well developed during the administrations of Bush the
First and Clinton. It was shut down, in exchange for certain assurances from
the
US.

In 2001, we began accusing N. Korea of having a clandestine Nuclear Weapons
program. Not unlike the WMD accusations leveled against Iraq.

During the month of November, 2002, (just as winter was geting underway in
North Korea) Bush very publicly and with great fanfare (he made a speech about
it)
encouraged/permitted/influenced an organization acronymed as KEDO (it manages
energy resources for the Korean peninsula) to immediately cut off the shipment
of fuel oil into North Korea. Guess what? With an entire nation of freezing
people, the Koreans hopped back on the nuclear program big time. Of course,
Bush was then able to say, "See? We told you all along they were running
nuclear reactors that could be capable of enriching unranium! We've been proven
right!" Politics, as usual.

Gould 0738

If you guys remember, Jimmy Carter brokered a deal for Clinton that gave
the N. Koreans 1-2 BIllion dollars to NOT develop a nuke.

Now we have to deal with the result of these two traitors.

Two ex-presidents are dismissed as "traitors"? !

Hey, Wally, get over to the "hate radio" thread. We could use your input as an
example. :-)

NOYB

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry, Chuck, but we're not going to sit by idly while you spew forth your
revisionist history. When Clinton eased economic sanctions in September
1999, a US-led group signed a $4.6 billion deal to build a couple of nuclear
power plants. By July of 2000, North Korea renewed its threat to restart
its nuclear program unless Washington compensated them for the loss of
electricity caused by delays in building the nuclear power plants.
Meanwhile, N. Korea had a second, clandestine nuclear weapons program under
way. Not only did the N. Koreans trick Clinton into allowing them to stall
for more time to develop their nuke program, they also got over $4 billion
from him to do it!

John H

On 08 Jan 2004 17:49:24 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

[...]

Didn't Korea come out and say they had a nuclear weapons program?

From the KEDO web site, " KEDO was created in 1995 to advance the
implementation of the Agreed Framework between the United States and
the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), under which the DPRK
agreed to freeze and ultimately dismantle its existing nuclear
program."

It seems as though North Korea was the one who reneged.