C Nolen

Default Balancing Props

This last season I wacked some rocks with my prop and it vibrates alot. I
cleaned up the chew marks on the blades with a file and attempted to remove
a similar amount on all the blades but it still vibrates in use.
Is there good way to balance out the prop?
Temporarily I'm using a prop with a pitch I use for trolling so I'm not
messing up the bottom end.

Wayne.B

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 20:29:33 -0800, "C Nolen"
wrote:
This last season I wacked some rocks with my prop and it vibrates alot. I
cleaned up the chew marks on the blades with a file and attempted to remove
a similar amount on all the blades but it still vibrates in use.
Is there good way to balance out the prop?
Temporarily I'm using a prop with a pitch I use for trolling so I'm not
messing up the bottom end.

================================

Here in SWFL you can get it done professionally at a prop shop for
about $50. Well worth the money in my opinion, and the props come
back looking like new. We have a LOT of thin water here, especially
in the winter.

K. Smith

C Nolen wrote:
This last season I wacked some rocks with my prop and it vibrates alot. I
cleaned up the chew marks on the blades with a file and attempted to remove
a similar amount on all the blades but it still vibrates in use.
Is there good way to balance out the prop?
Temporarily I'm using a prop with a pitch I use for trolling so I'm not
messing up the bottom end.

Props are "balanced" in several ways, as you suggest just like the
wheel/tyre on a car so each blade weighs the same & again just like a
car wheel that weight is distributed throughout the blade evenly
(forward vs aft sides, near the hub or at the tips).

The other way boat props are "balanced" is that the pitch is the same
over most of the blade's surface (at least the outer 1/3) & that each
blade have the same pitch as the others. A knock that created "chew
marks" probably also knocked at least that blade out of pitch at it's tip.

As already suggested a propeller place can run a scanner over the
blades & verify the pitch is balanced, then the physical normal type of
balance is easy to achieve.

You can check the pitch yourself but it's a bit of a fiddle & given the
price mentioned it's probably best you get it serviced.

"C Nolen" wrote in message
This last season I wacked some rocks with my prop and it vibrates alot. I
cleaned up the chew marks on the blades with a file and attempted to
remove a similar amount on all the blades but it still vibrates in use.
Is there good way to balance out the prop?
Temporarily I'm using a prop with a pitch I use for trolling so I'm not
messing up the bottom end.

If you are going to go clam digging with your prop, you should consider
getting a stainless steel prop

The prop you have chewed up might not even be repairable. See your local
prop shop and get their opinion. Often, you just have to toss them away and
get another. Trying to repair this yourself could prove difficult based on
my own past experience of clam digging with outboard engines...

FS: D17 X P16 Props Bobsprit General 0 April 28th 04 04:15 PM
I need help!!! Props - 3 or 4 blade and which brand is best? Rich General 3 April 6th 04 03:21 PM
Aluminum props for the Bravo 3 as spare/emergency? Slambram General 2 April 4th 04 03:30 AM
FS - Michigan props 16x17 in MD Jim Fisher Marketplace 0 November 14th 03 02:06 AM
What I've Learned About Props Lloyd Sumpter Cruising 19 October 30th 03 12:45 AM