Lloyd Sumpter

Default What I've Learned About Props

Hi,
After the "What prop should I use", I've done some research and thougth
I'd post what I've learned about various props.

Fixed-blade prop:
This is the simplest and least expensive option. The blades are fixed
at a certain pitch. They also give the most drag under sail. To reduce
this, most sailing props are thinner, "high-aspect-ratio", and usually
have more advanced foil designs like "cupping" to increase drive in
forward. The downside of THIS is that in reverse, the advanced foil is
going through the water backwards, reducing effectiveness.

Examples: Michigan Wheel "Sailor" series and Campbell Sailor props.
Cost: around $500 CDN

Folding Prop:
This is the ultimate sailing-compromise prop. Under sail, the blades fold
down to become hardly more than a giant "teardrop" on the end of the
shaft, giving virtually no drag. Under power, the rotation pushes the
blades out, and the backward force pushes the blades out
completely. The downside of this is that in reverse, the force is
trying to FOLD the blades, and centrifugal force is all that's keeping
them out. This means VERY poor performance under power in reverse.

Examples...?
Cost: ??

Feathering Prop:

Instead of the entire blade folding down under sail, they rotate,
("feathering") so that the leading edge is all that is presented. This
is not QUITE as low-drag as a folding prop, but far lower than a fixed
prop. When under power, the blade rotates to a fixed pitch angle. The
side benefit is that it rotates the opposite way to reverse, so the
leading edge is leading in both forward and reverse, meaning any
cupping or advanced foil design is used in both directions. Another
side benefit is that most props allow you to adjust the "fixed" pitch,
some easily enough that it can be done underwater, eliminating the
need to haulout to get that "perfect" pitch.

Examples: Maxprop and AutostreaM
Cost: About $2000 CDN

Auto-prop:

This is the same as a feathering prop, but instead of a fixed pitch,
the pitch varies with speed, torque, etc. similar to the "torque
convertor" on a ski-doo. This allows max power at all settings, best
fuel economy, fastest cruising and WOT speed, etc. The downside of
course is the cost.

Example: AutoProp (don't know of any others)
Cost: $3000 CDN

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Lauri Tarkkonen

In "Lloyd Sumpter" writes:

[...]

Looks like you have not learned much about props. Some fixed blade
props are very poor on reverse, especially if they are optimized to
give the best performance forward and some (good) folding props
are as good on reverse than forward and much better than some
fixed props on reverse. An example for you is the Danish Gori,
but there are others. The centrifugal force has no problem in
keeping the Gori open on reverse. There are some poor ones, but
why buy a poor one, as there are good ones available?

Feathering Prop:

Instead of the entire blade folding down under sail, they rotate,
("feathering") so that the leading edge is all that is presented. This
is not QUITE as low-drag as a folding prop, but far lower than a fixed
prop. When under power, the blade rotates to a fixed pitch angle. The
side benefit is that it rotates the opposite way to reverse, so the
leading edge is leading in both forward and reverse, meaning any
cupping or advanced foil design is used in both directions. Another
side benefit is that most props allow you to adjust the "fixed" pitch,
some easily enough that it can be done underwater, eliminating the
need to haulout to get that "perfect" pitch.

Examples: Maxprop and AutostreaM
Cost: About $2000 CDN

If you have a good three bladed propeller it can be much more
quiet while motoring than a two plade folding propeller and
can be worth the exstra cost.

Auto-prop:

This is the same as a feathering prop, but instead of a fixed pitch,
the pitch varies with speed, torque, etc. similar to the "torque
convertor" on a ski-doo. This allows max power at all settings, best
fuel economy, fastest cruising and WOT speed, etc. The downside of
course is the cost.

You might not be able to recover the cost difference in the fuel
saving, especially if you are sailing a lot.

- Lauri Tarkkonen

Example: AutoProp (don't know of any others)
Cost: $3000 CDN

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Matt/Meribeth Pedersen

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
news
Hi,
After the "What prop should I use", I've done some research and thougth
I'd post what I've learned about various props.

Folding Prop:
This is the ultimate sailing-compromise prop. Under sail, the blades fold
down to become hardly more than a giant "teardrop" on the end of the
shaft, giving virtually no drag. Under power, the rotation pushes the
blades out, and the backward force pushes the blades out
completely. The downside of this is that in reverse, the force is
trying to FOLD the blades, and centrifugal force is all that's keeping
them out. This means VERY poor performance under power in reverse.

Examples...?
Cost: ??

I think Martec has their prices on their web site. I have a 27'er
and the 12 x 10 folding prop I need is about US$550. Gori was
in the same price range, if you're willing to bargain. Both these
companies make geared props, where there is an intermediate
gear between the blades that forces them to open at the same rate.
This keeps vibration to a minimum.

In general I agree that folders don't function as well in
reverse as a fixed, but if you just increase engine RPMs
you can get the thrust you need for most situations.

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes
(Lauri Tarkkonen) wrote:

In "Lloyd Sumpter" writes:

[...]

In our boat at least, it isn't the prop that is noisy it is the shaft
that it is attached to. Sailing with a fixed prop sounds like you are
standing next to a very busy freeway (in addition to the loss of about
a knot of speed).

There are only two ways to stop our shaft from rotating underway -
having a feathering or folding prop is one. The other is immobilizing
the shaft with vice grips.

While that may not be true in other boats, in our particular boat with
our particular set up (which there are some 300 other boats with the
same setup) that's the way it is.

Auto-prop:

This is the same as a feathering prop, but instead of a fixed pitch,
the pitch varies with speed, torque, etc. similar to the "torque
convertor" on a ski-doo. This allows max power at all settings, best
fuel economy, fastest cruising and WOT speed, etc. The downside of
course is the cost.

You might not be able to recover the cost difference in the fuel
saving, especially if you are sailing a lot.

- Lauri Tarkkonen

Example: AutoProp (don't know of any others)
Cost: $3000 CDN

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156
http://home.mindspring.com/~gmbeasley/id2.html
Jim Woodward

We took a three blade Max-Prop around the world on Swee****er and I
would never use anything else for serious cruising. Low drag,
excellent thrust in forward and reverse (you really care about thrust
in reverse when maneuvering in a tight marina), can be adjusted to
exact required pitch.

On the other hand, the boat I race on uses a folding prop. The key
there is absolutely the lowest possible drag -- nothing else matters
-- and only a folding prop will do it. The fact that it's kind of
anemic going forward and even worse going backwards, and that you have
to set it with the hinge horizontal when you shut off the engine, are
secondary to the lowest possible drag. For a serious race boat, I
would have nothing else, but I see no other use for one.

The standard sailing propeller used to be a two blade with relatively
low blade width that would hide behind the keel of the typical long
keel boat. Now, with virtually all sailboat propellers out in the
open, I wouldn't want a fixed prop under any circumstances -- it's
just a big drag.

As for AutoProp, it sounds like snake oil to me, and unecessary to
boot. The propeller law curve drops off at roughly the third root of
RPM
ie, HP ~=~ RPM^0.3333). Once you throttle back a little, the HP goes
down very fast, almost always a little faster than the engine's
ability to produce HP. This protects the engine beautifully -- choose
a prop to absorb the HP produced at max revs and you know you have
enough HP at all lower revs. Why mess with Mother Nature when she's
making life easy?

And on our current love? 59"x39" three blade cast iron.

Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

"Matt/Meribeth Pedersen" wrote in message link.net...
[...]

Jere Lull

Lauri Tarkkonen wrote:

Looks like you have not learned much about props. Some fixed blade
props are very poor on reverse, especially if they are optimized to
give the best performance forward

Lloyd mentioned that.

and some (good) folding props
are as good on reverse than forward and much better than some
fixed props on reverse. An example for you is the Danish Gori,
but there are others. The centrifugal force has no problem in
keeping the Gori open on reverse. There are some poor ones, but
why buy a poor one, as there are good ones available?

When I looked for a feathering/folding prop, I'd never met anyone with a
folding prop that could depend upon the blades opening fully in reverse
every time, particularly in an emergency; they all seemed to have to
baby them and learn tricks. I also wondered whether the more modern
transmission gearings make it worse: Our 2GM swings at a maximum of 1200
rpm, quite a bit slower than the anemic engine it replaced.

If you have a good three bladed propeller it can be much more
quiet while motoring than a two plade folding propeller and
can be worth the exstra cost.

We had to replace our fixed two blade because of harmonic vibrations at
high power. The whole boat shook, which can't have been a good thing.
The 3-blade is MUCH quieter and smoother; not quite as efficient, but
not as bad as I expected.

Auto-prop:

This is the same as a feathering prop, but instead of a fixed pitch,
the pitch varies with speed, torque, etc. similar to the "torque
convertor" on a ski-doo. This allows max power at all settings, best
fuel economy, fastest cruising and WOT speed, etc. The downside of
course is the cost.

You might not be able to recover the cost difference in the fuel
saving, especially if you are sailing a lot.

Overall cost savings don't much enter into this sort of purchase.
Cheapest by far would be a fixed prop. It would take us a very long time
to consume $1500 worth of fuel, much less save that much on fuel. (In
1067 hours, we consumed 341 gallons.)

If you want to save $$, slow down. We normally power at 5.7+/- knots and
consume 0.36 gph. That's not an unreasonable speed with our 6.6 knot
hull speed. When we went 6.2+/- (enjoying the new prop), consumption was
0.69. When I backed off to 5 knots for a month, consumption over 43
hours was 0.20. To gain just over a knot, we used 3.5 times as much fuel.

--
Jere Lull

Truelove39

Why wouldn't you use anything else for serious cruising? What others have you
used and dismissed for serious cruising? Lots of serious cruisers switch props
for different portions of their voyage.

BTW, a Martec Autostream feathering prop costs 2/3 of a Max-prop and works just
as well.

John
S/Y Truelove

(Jim Woodward) wrote:

We took a three blade Max-Prop around the world on Swee****er and I
would never use anything else for serious cruising.

Jim Woodward

I've raced, cruised, and voyaged, here, in Europe, and around the
world, on deliveries, charters, other people's boats, my own boats,
and boats I have built for others. I've talked to a lot of people in a
lot of different places, many of whom like MaxProp and some of whom
prefer other brands.

I have not done anything like a proper comparative test, ala Consumer
Reports or Practical Sailor. So all I have is impressions and opinions
based on experience.

The problem with assessing the goodness of many marine items is that
you can look at two of them, side by side, and they both look fine.
The fit and finish appears to be the same. Yet one of them is the
name brand and the other is 2/3 the price. If you manage to take them
out and test them, one may perform better, but is it the good long
term choice -- hard to tell.

It's hard to make a choice. You can't test longevity easily. Ours is
a difficult environment. Corrosion is an issue. Will they both last
ten years? Twenty? What is the failure rate likely to be? Are they
both built out of the best materials or did one maker cut corners --
and, of course, the corner cutter might be the name brand?

Sometimes word of mouth tells you. On our circumnav almost all the
voyaging boats had watermakers. About half were a common brand, widely
sold. Most of their owners bragged about the wonderful warranty
service they got. It turned out that most (maybe all) had had to use
it. I have no clue how good Sea Recovery's warranty service is -- we
put 700 hours on ours without incident. Which watermaker won't I buy
for Fintry? One guess.

On feathering propellers, the issue is less clear cut. I've had good
experience with MaxProp on a variety of boats. I've used others and
had one or two failures. People I respect, who are just as careful
with their money as I, pony up the extra for MaxProp. Is this
definitive? Absolutely not. But in selecting carefully machined bronze
that's going to sit under the boat, occasionally slam back and forth
between forward and reverse, now and then take hits from logs and
tangles from nets, I take into account everything I know. And, BTW,
PYI (the USA distributor for MaxProp) are good people.

------

I don't understand, "Lots of serious cruisers switch props for
different portions of their voyage." I can understand changing pitch
if you were going up a strong current, for example, and wanted to use
all of the engine's short term horsepower rating instead of the more
usual use of the continuous rating. I can also imagine a really
performance minded person taking off a MaxProp in Panama and putting
on a folding two blade for the next 7,000 miles where there's good
wind and little motoring -- but I don't know anyone who's done it.
What did you have in mind here?

-----

Finally, FYI:
Martec AutoStream 6000 series $3,000
MaxProp 70322, $3,035
(Both three blade, bronze, 22" for 1.375" shaft)
Other sizes may differ. Martec's stainless series are cheaper, but
I'm not sure I'd want a stainless prop.

http://www.martec-props.com/prices-feathering.htm
http://www.pyiinc.com/?section=brows...sku=70322&sn=5

Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

(Jim Woodward) wrote:

We took a three blade Max-Prop around the world on Swee****er and I
would never use anything else for serious cruising.

Lloyd Sumpter

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 18:07:58 +0000, Jere Lull wrote:

Lauri Tarkkonen wrote:

Looks like you have not learned much about props. Some fixed blade
props are very poor on reverse, especially if they are optimized to
give the best performance forward

Lloyd mentioned that.

Of course all the data I have is theoretical - YMMV. The "testimonials" I
read about how much better even some fixed-blade props were in reverse
against folding props were written by folks who replaced their folding
props - so obviously they were not happy with them, or at least felt they
had to justify their decision.

If you have a good three bladed propeller it can be much more
quiet while motoring than a two plade folding propeller and
can be worth the exstra cost.

We had to replace our fixed two blade because of harmonic vibrations at
high power. The whole boat shook, which can't have been a good thing.
The 3-blade is MUCH quieter and smoother; not quite as efficient, but
not as bad as I expected.

I will never go back to a 2-blade, period. A writeup at WestByNorth tells
why: http://www.westbynorth.com/choose.htm

Auto-prop:

This is the same as a feathering prop, but instead of a fixed pitch,
the pitch varies with speed, torque, etc. similar to the "torque
convertor" on a ski-doo. This allows max power at all settings, best
fuel economy, fastest cruising and WOT speed, etc. The downside of
course is the cost.

You might not be able to recover the cost difference in the fuel
saving, especially if you are sailing a lot.

Overall cost savings don't much enter into this sort of purchase.
Cheapest by far would be a fixed prop. It would take us a very long time
to consume $1500 worth of fuel, much less save that much on fuel. (In
1067 hours, we consumed 341 gallons.)

Agreed!
I can see some non-monetary reasons for going to a feathering or folding
prop, but can't see the advantage of the auto-prop.

I'm now torn between the 3-blade fixed Campbell Sailor and the AutostreaM.
I like the AutostreaM's stainless-steel: at the very least, it would Look
Kewl on my SS shaft (and I know the corrosion and marine-growth
characteristics of SS). I also like the ability to change pitch - I now
feel that PITCH is the primary variable to get optimum power/speed from
the prop. I suspect that a C.S. fixed would give marginally better
performance than an AutostreaM AT OPTIMUM PITCH. But since the A-S is
easily adjustable, I think I'd be able to achive optimum pitch much faster
and more easily.

I'd also like the feathering advantage, although I was jokingly adding up
all the "fasters" I could get: feathering gets me 1-2 knots faster, the
Sail Guy said a new headsail would get me at least a knot, clean bottom
would give me an extra 1/2 to 1 knot...and I was going 6 knots in an 8
knot breeze. So add that all up, and I'd be going about 9-10 knots!

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Lloyd Sumpter

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 07:31:12 +0000, Jim Woodward wrote:

Finally, FYI:
Martec AutoStream 6000 series $3,000
MaxProp 70322, $3,035
(Both three blade, bronze, 22" for 1.375" shaft)
Other sizes may differ. Martec's stainless series are cheaper, but
I'm not sure I'd want a stainless prop.

http://www.martec-props.com/prices-feathering.htm
http://www.pyiinc.com/?section=brows...sku=70322&sn=5

First, I wonder if the popularity of the MaxProp is because it is US made,
whereas the AutostreaM is made in Australia. Check out:
http://www.seahawk.com.au/ (the REAL website for AutostreaM)

Second, why not a SS prop? Most powerboaters regard a SS prop as "top of
the line" (of course they're usually comparing to aluminum...). The SS
prop has no "give" so it can utilize advanced foil designs like cupping
better (again, mainly compared to aluminum, but I'd probably add composite
to this). Also, my SS shaft seems to be less susceptable to electrolysis,
corrosion, and marine growth than my Campbell Sailor bronze.

Not saying you're wrong, just wondering why you wouldn't want a SS prop.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36