trooper99

Default OMC 1985 sterndrive

I am looking at a boat with an 1985 OMC sterndrive with 5L GM 305
engine. When the engine runs, I don't see any dribbler stream of water.
I am not familiar with this model of OMC sterndrive (68-86), but I had
a '67 that did have a dribbler. Also, all outboards I have ever had
always have a dribbler. Does anyone know where the dribler stream
should come from on this outdrive? Or if there is one?

I am concerned that there may be a bad impeller and if the owner is
oblivious to this, the result could be a heat damaged engine.

Also, I assume water chould come out of the center of the prop with the
exhaust. Is this correct?
Thanks,
Bruce

trainfan1

trooper99 wrote:
I am looking at a boat with an 1985 OMC sterndrive with 5L GM 305
engine.

If you really like the boat, consider in your offer that you will
repower with something more conventional... a daunting task. I would
think the boat would almost have to be free. The transom diaphragm is a
common failure.

The engine is a good one (Chevy small block) but the drive has much to
be desired, and the transom cutout would have to be filled & re-cut to
replace it. The tilt system and trim system are quixotic and complex,
and all drive parts are becoming hard to find for pre- Cobra drives.
Check www.dougrussell.com for reman/serviced drives available, and
prices you may be facing.

When the engine runs, I don't see any dribbler stream of water.
I am not familiar with this model of OMC sterndrive (68-86), but I had
a '67 that did have a dribbler. Also, all outboards I have ever had
always have a dribbler. Does anyone know where the dribler stream
should come from on this outdrive? Or if there is one?

No telltale("dribbler") on this unit.

I am concerned that there may be a bad impeller and if the owner is
oblivious to this, the result could be a heat damaged engine.

Should be obvious if any trouble in this regard with an in-water test
and physical inspection. Any "baked" paint or malformed rubber/plastic
parts? The impeller is an inexpensive repair, but it's failure can be
costly.

Also, I assume water should come out of the center of the prop with the
exhaust. Is this correct?

On the through-hub models(400 & 800), yes.

There is an underwater exhaust outlet on the earlier drives. It sounds
like you had an old Johnson or Evinrude I/O, with the "dribbler".

Good luck w/ all that!

Rob

Charley

I have a 1985 Sea Ray 210 with the same drive and motor. There is a dribbler
stream that comes out of a very small hole just to the right of center and
just below the top cover of the drive, but at idle speed with the boat on
the trailer and cooling water being supplied through ear muffs, the stream
is almost non-existant. At running speed with the boat on the water, the
stream is quite easily visible.

I've had very little trouble with my drive, but have had to replace the boot
a couple of times. This was relatively easy to do and not a budget breaker.
They're good for about 8 years before they need replacement. If the engine
compartment begins taking on water, it's almost certainly coming in through
the boot.

If the boat is in good shape and the drive has been maintained you shouldn't
have that many problems with it. Replacing the pump impeller is not a big
issue, so long as they haven't overheated the engine from a lack of water
flow. If you are seriously considering the purchase you should also look
for water in the gear oil of the lower unit. At this age the shaft seals
usually begin to dry out. A little water (less than 1/2 oz) is common after
a season of use, but any significant amount of water in the oil, or any oil
visible on the outside bottom of the lower unit case, indicates possible
gear and bearing damage. At the very least, a new set of shaft seals and
significant overhaul expenses will be required, more if any gear or bearing
damage exists. If it looks like a major overhaul is needed I would look
elsewhere for a boat, unless this one is almost free.

--
Charley